Rat health

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rat health

Post by emilda on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:13 pm

Rats have nutritional requirements that are very different from dogs or cats, and are more similar to that of humans. But rats still need a diet specially formulated for them. Please note that I do not believe “Sue Bee’s Rat Diet” advertised on the internet is a nutritionally complete diet for rats. If you want to give your rats a homemade diet, please see my recipe below.

When buying a commercial diet for your rats, I recommend one that has at least 18% protein for growing rats, and I don’t think 23% protein is too much for growing rats. Female rats tend to reach most of their physical growth at 6 months, but probably are not completely physically mature until 8 months of age, and male rats reach most of their adult growth at 8 months, but probably do not reach full physical maturity until one year of age.

Please note that Oxbow has two different rat formulas, one for adult rats and one for mice and young rats. Unless they’ve changed it, the label on the adult formula says it’s okay to give it to rats over 4 months of age, but I do not agree. I think the Oxbow adult formula should not be given to rats who are still growing. (Females stop growing about 6-8 months, and males 8-10 months.) And I personally would not give unspayed females the Oxbow adult diet, because a diet higher in soybean meal helps to prevent mammary tumors. The Mouse & Young Rat formula is definitely higher in soybean meal than the adult formula, however, the first ingredient is corn, so it may not be as good as a brand that has soybean meal as the first ingredient, such as Mazuri rat blocks.

emilda

Back to top Go down

Re: Rat health

Post by Zoundz on Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:41 pm

Hello, and welcome to the forum Wink

It's often a nice idea to introduce yourself before making a post of this nature...

In any case, this isn't very relevant here, as I don't think any of those foods are available in Ireland (one or two maybe?), and nobody really *does* feed a Suebee diet - we tend to opt for something akin to the Shunamite diet, just high quality rabbit food and grains etc, with good quality fresh protein and veg.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by DJF on Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:42 pm

If I am not mistaken, this information is taken verbatim from another site, possible Debbie Ducommun's Rat Fan Club website. It is always a good idea to credit information by giving a link or a name so that members and look it up and then assess the quality of that information for themselves. This is especially important on matters relating to health.

I may be wrong, but 18% protein sounds a tad high. I am for 12% give or take.

To echo Zoundz, please introduce yourself and your rats. You will find that we are a friendly bunch!

ETA - This is the webpage this information comes from - http://www.ratfanclub.org/diet.html - Interestingly, the topic of toxic water (terrible phrase) is being discussed over at the NFRS at the moment. I hope to write an article on fluoridation for some issue of our new journal.

Gone Fishing: Maud, Constance, Peig, Hillary

"As the Amazing Maurice said, it was just a story about people and rats. And the difficult part of it was deciding who the people were, and who were the rats."
DJF
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum