The extent of backyard breeding in Ireland

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The extent of backyard breeding in Ireland

Post by DJF on Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:14 am

So, does anyone have any sense of how extensive the back yard breeding of rats is in Ireland? By back yard I don't just mean those not within the fancy but am really getting at something more general like lack of transparency, breeding feeders, no definition of goals, not breeding from proper stock, etc.

I sometimes look on gumtree and donedeal to see if rats are needing homes and consistently see ads by apparent breeders in Wexford and Carlow as well as pet shops advertising ridiculous deals like unsuitable hamster cage, water bottle and single rat for €40.

So back on point. How many rat breeders outside the fancy do you know of in Ireland and is there hope that these people might at some point engage in a fancy? Can we turn them into NFRS members?

Gone Fishing: Maud, Constance, Peig, Hillary

"As the Amazing Maurice said, it was just a story about people and rats. And the difficult part of it was deciding who the people were, and who were the rats."
DJF
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Re: The extent of backyard breeding in Ireland

Post by smokierat on Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:31 am

I try not to think about sometimes tbh when im not feeling strong enough!but its very much a reality,and something i need to know more about.I would think as bad as the problem is here,its a hundred times worse in Britain so theres something to be said for rats being a less than popular pet in Ireland  Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:02 am

In a way it will always be worse in the UK because there are more people in general... and more rat owners - but it will be worse here because essentially - everyone other than Bongo Fury is a backyard breeders. It's not something we're going to stop, and I would say even in the UK the feeder/backyard breeders outnumber 'fancy' breeders at least 10-1! Here' it's probably nearer 100-1 Wink

I think there's little point trying to convert any of them. Some will come to it naturally - some have in the past and not liked the idea of having to work, in order to do what they want - so they go again - most people just do not care enough or actually want to work on improving their lines. I've offered to mentor and help several people, and go over to shows with them etc and help them learn, no one ever takes me up on it - they don't like the idea of spending money to import good rats etc.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by DJF on Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:50 pm

I have noticed on the free add sites that the number of people offering home bred rats has appeared to increase. It seems there are now breeders in Kilkenny, Wexford, Mayo and Clare. I do hope those rats are being bred responsibly. If only people engaged more, it could be good news for the fancy, but alas, I don't see that happening.

Gone Fishing: Maud, Constance, Peig, Hillary

"As the Amazing Maurice said, it was just a story about people and rats. And the difficult part of it was deciding who the people were, and who were the rats."
DJF
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:34 am

No, if they were interested they'd be more involved before they breed - it's a quick buck and 'something to do' to these people Sad

Ah well - such is life. Makes me 100 x more wary about who gets my rats though... I see me going back to being *incredibly* difficult to get rats from! XD

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: