Respiratory distress

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Respiratory distress

Post by DJF on Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:14 am

I thought we would have a break from health issues after Monica's successful mammary lump removal. But such was not to be. On Sunday, Constance went down hill very quickly. She seemed totally fine, eating, frolicking, then at lunchtime she started gasping and side sucking. It all happened so fast. My fear was pneumonia. Her breathing sounded wet and very congested. She looked as though she was at death's door. 

I took her to the out of hours emergency hospital at UCD. I pleaded for a steroid injection but got meloxicam. I pleaded for a Baytril and Doxycycline combination and was successful. The meloxicam, although an anti -inflammatory, did nothing to relieve her symptoms. When my vet opened after the Bank Holiday, I took her first thing. A shot of dexamethasone (steroid) and a few hours later she is rambling around, albeit a bit wobbly, eating bits and pieces and drinking from her bottle. This was great as 'forcing' fluids into a rat with suspected pneumonia and in respiratory distress is dangerous due to the risk of aspiration. This has been such a lesson for me. If anyone is unfortunate enough to have to use out of hours services with a rat who cannot breathe, I suggest not leaving until you get adequate treatment. In Constance's case she needed a steroid. It pays to have done some research. I suggest asking on forums and using ratguide.com.

Anyway, Constance is getting stronger all the time. Although not in the clear, the prognosis is looking a lot better, she will remain on antibiotics for the next couple of weeks. I thought mammary tumours were frightening but severe respiratory distress is more so.

Here she is with the formerly lumpy Mpnica in her hospital cage eating peas. She loves her hot water bottle (wrapped in white towel)!

Gone Fishing: Maud, Constance, Peig, Hillary

"As the Amazing Maurice said, it was just a story about people and rats. And the difficult part of it was deciding who the people were, and who were the rats."
DJF
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Re: Respiratory distress

Post by smokierat on Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:27 am

glad shes doing better Smile its so very upsetting when they get ill like that.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum