Frenchies

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Frenchies

Post by OceaneKS on Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:43 am

Hello everyone !

We are two rats and two humans, all French, coming in Ireland very soon !
The girls are named Sanka and Kunda, they are two adorable US blue husky sisters, about 3 months-old now !
Since we are coming soon, we would like to connect to other rat-lovers (and their ratties) to get more information about living in Ireland with rats !

After having much trouble to find how to come with them to your beautiful country, we are looking for a housing, not an easy thing with ratties Cry most landlords forbid them... so how do you deal with that ?
I'm going to stay 3 years in Fermoy, near Cork, as a PhD student, so if by chance anyone could have an advice... anything... I am freaking out a bit about the idea to have no home in 2 weeks...

Thank you in advance !
OceaneKS

Back to top Go down

Re: Frenchies

Post by dani. on Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:37 am

I have lived in student households with Rats, and am still in rented accommodation.

To be honest, I've never asked a landlord if I could have pets. I feel they don't feel comfortable allowing it as it lessens their grounds to intervene if neighbours or housemates complain, or your pet causes damages to the property. Over several different properties, over 15 years of renting, my rats are usually discovered at some point, and I am honest about them at this point. I've never had bother with a landlord at this point. I think because my home is always well kept, they've had no other concerns, and it is a caged pet, they turn a blind eye. I have had a lot of jokes about stir frys - all good natured, thankfully.

I'm not reccommending you follow my example, just sharing my experience. I am lucky I haven't had any bother. All the better if someone can reccommend you an open-minded landlord.

dani.

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:53 am

Welcome! I live in Cork,theres a few of us ratty people Smile we should arrange a rat people meet up Smile I rent and mentioned it to my landlord that i wantef a small caged pet and he had no problem with it,he knows they are rats niw and has no problem with it.I would be scared that a landlord could find out if i didnt tell them and kick me out!

Back to top Go down

Post by OceaneKS on Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:48 pm

Hello !!
Thank you both for your replies and for sharing your experiences ! I hope I will manage to find an open-minded landlord Smile for sure, house-sharing is out ! I am also affraid of being kicked out of the house, can thy actually do that (In France, they couldn't do it unless you signed some papers engaging you to not have pets) ?
I really cannot let them in France... they really have to come with me Sad

Smokierat, I will be really happy to organise something with you and other ratty lovers !! I'll be all new in Ireland so I'll be glad to meet other people, and we have a common interest Big Grin !
OceaneKS

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:45 pm

Will be lovely to have another Cork member around here! Grin

I rent too - and have usually between 30 and 40 rats Wink so it can be done. Do be honest, say that you would like to keep a cage with some small pets - don't say what sort - just small pets - get it written into the contract that you are allowed pets Smile

Good luck!

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:23 am

Any luck finding accomodation?

Back to top Go down

Post by OceaneKS on Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:40 pm

I think I found something Big Grin !! I asked if having small pets in cage was okay and the landlady said it should be alright... I hope she understood well (don't forget I am french haha) and that she is not going to freak out when she will see they are rats... !
OceaneKS

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:57 pm

She doesnt need to know exactly what they are...many people see them and presume they are gerbils or something (!) you dont need to correct anyone...

Back to top Go down

Post by OceaneKS on Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:07 am

Hello !

Just a word from Kunda, Sanka and I : we arrived algood in Ireland ! We settled exactly one week ago in Michelstown after a rough experience with the sea (stormy night). The girls are super happy to have a big room to run in and they seem to like cheddar a lot (bananas are still their favorite though) !

Hope to see you soon, Cork-rat-lovers Smile (I'll try to keep up with this forum and to add a conversation for meeting as soon as I get real internet at home Wink ) and thank you again for your advices !
OceaneKS

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:18 am

Oh glad you got here safe Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tribble on Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:00 am

Great to hear you got here and found a place, and welcome to the forum.

Telling the landlord you have them is great, 'rat' seems to be a bad word, but 'caged rodent' does well.
Especially if you tell them they never leave the cage and make no noise.
Also if you let them know they will never breed, and are like very small dogs (as in they are domesticated, not wild)

Tribble

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:04 am

Welcome to the emerald isle! Smile can't wait to meet you! Grin

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by OceaneKS on Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:43 pm

Can't wait to meet you too, I already feel like a member of the "irish ratty family" Grin
I am really looking forward to learn more about rats from you ! Kunda and Sanka are my very first rats and since they were a crush, I could not get as much knowledge as I wanted to before their arrival in our life and heart...

See you very soon !
OceaneKS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum