PTS discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down

PTS discussion

Post by redrach on Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:45 pm

Assuming that in the next few weeks I may have to have Monk PTS, if she starts showing signs of pain etc and doesn't go naturally first..
I've never had a ratty PTS before..
Is there different methods?
Which is the most humane?
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Re: PTS discussion

Post by Catz on Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:42 am

I think gas followed by the lethal injection is the most humane way to do it. We had Sheldon done in this way but we werent allowed in the room while it was happening.
Thankfully our vets are very kind and the nurses came in to talk to him while I held him before taking him away.
Catz
Mentor
Mentor

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:33 am

There are many ways - and there are people who agree and disagree with each and every one. I personally favour a sedative injection. When the rat is very sleepy and quiet, we go for inter-peritoneal lethal injection. We usually hold the rat and gently blow onto the face to distract while the vet is administering the jab. They never even flinch, and they pass away quite quickly and very peacefully. Gas can be uncomfortable and frightening for some rats - especially those with breathing trouble - however it's still a tried and trusted method. I would never ever recommend inter-cardiac injections without a sedative or gas - it's just cruel.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: