Protein for grow rats?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Protein for grow rats?

Post by Ruby Woo on Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:10 pm

How much protein should a growing rat be having? In thinking of getting Beaphar care+ which has 23% protein in it just until they're finish growing. Good or bad idea? I will also be giving fresh food daily
Ruby Woo

Back to top Go down

Re: Protein for grow rats?

Post by OceaneKS on Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:45 am

I'd say it might be a bit high... but if you give them fresh food with low protein conrwnt it may lower their daily income. I am not an expert (at all) but I read that growing rats should be given a diet with around 20% proteins. On the other hand I think Debbie Ducommun recommends more than 25%...
OceaneKS

Back to top Go down

Post by OceaneKS on Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:46 am

I'd say it might be a bit high... but if you give them fresh food with low protein conrwnt it may lower their daily income. I am not an expert (at all) but I read that growing rats should be given a diet with around 20% proteins. On the other hand I think Debbie Ducommun recommends more than 25%...
OceaneKS

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:03 am

How old are the rats in question? Babies should be free feeding protein rich food until about 10 to 12 weeks ☺

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Woo on Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:31 am

They're 7 weeks old. I feed them Selective Science and Mr Johnsons rat and mouse food. They get fresh veggies every night along with mealworms and sometimes fish. I'm afraid of feeding them chicken since they're usually pumped with hormones and antibiotics even if it says organic. What do you think?
Ruby Woo

Back to top Go down

Post by Tribble on Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:19 am

Just a correction here, not meaning to attack anyone but I wanted to get the correct info out there.

Legally, organic food cannot have any chemical interaction. As such they cannot be labelled organic and have had any antibiotic treatments, chemical stimulants or hormone exposure, either through their life or after.
Even non-organic animals have strict regulatory practices on how long before they can be culled after being on medications or having been ill.

Just wanted to reassure people that unless you personally doubt the inspectors, stores and Irish Food associations managing all that, any meat products bought from an ethically sound retailer/vendor will be free from interference.
Source: grew up on a sheep farm and was close friends with organic vegetable farmers.

Tribble

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Woo on Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:22 am

That's great to know. I'm always so weary of being lied to when it comes to what's in our food. That put some of my worries to rest. Thanks Tribble xxx
Ruby Woo

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:59 pm

Far worse to feed the rat food than fresh Irish chicken! Rat food does contain growth hormones in a lot cases, the meat protein they use is very poor quality.

Far better to feed a good quality rabbit food and supplement with fresh protein. As babies this young they should have a good source of protein at all times.

Xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: