Introducing 1 new rat to a close social group?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Introducing 1 new rat to a close social group?

Post by Abdou on Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:53 am

Guys,

You may have seen my previous posts about 1 lonely rat in Dun Laoghaire.....

If she is not re-homed in the next week I will have to think about taking her.....but I need advice as to how I would go about introducing her to my own social group......who are 5 close knit sisters???

I would really welcome some advice as to how to go about this...

Space is not an issue, I have 5 girls in an Aurora 600.......a cage which could easily house about 12 or so rats......

Thanks in advance

Abdou

ps, this pet shop is actually really good with any pets that they have and this girl has found her way there because someone didnt want to keep her Roll Eyes

Abdou

Back to top Go down

Re: Introducing 1 new rat to a close social group?

Post by Catz on Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:42 am

I introduced 3 very close brothers to 3 other close brothers and their dad in the bath tub. I first gave them a quick rinse in the sink to dilute their smell and put a small dab of vanilla extract on them to make them smell the same. Then I free ranged them for about an hour separately to take the edge off their energy and put them all into the bath together. Then it was just a case of watching them like a hawk to see how they reacted. It was a very easy intro and they were so tired they cuddled up together after some grooming. It really depends on your current rats temperment on how fast it will go.
Id expect the new rat to be very nervous as she will have no back up AND be in a new place but I've never had much problem introing new rats.
Are you planning on keeping the new girl in Quarantine?
I hope it all goes well for you and your new baby Smile
Catz
Mentor
Mentor

Back to top Go down

Post by Abdou on Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:57 am

Catz, thanks a million for your advice.....

Thing is I would really hope that someone might take her....but I fear this might not be the case.....!!

A couple of questions if I may:-

a) How do you wash rats??? I could, at a push wash 2 / 3 of them, but the other 2 / 3 would not allow me to wash them, this I know!!

b) Can rats climb out of the bath?? Mine are free-ranged on the bed at the moment, in various tunnels but with access out and about - I've never had them in the bath...

The new girl has effectively been in quarantine for the last month or so....she is in a cage on her own in the shop...

I feel so sorry for her....and really annoyed at the fact that she is on her own....but I cant judge because I do not know the circumstances as to why she is on her own....

Anyway,,,,please keep the advice coming, its all really appreciated Smile

Abdou

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:48 am

I would let them free range like that first,and when you're thinking of putting them in the cage together,i would give it a really good clean first,maybe put some new toys in,move stuff around,wash the hammocks or anything you have in there basically so its like a new cage,and your girls mightnt be so inclined to defend it...i found my girls got on okay during free range but got quite narky when put in the cage,even though i had cleaned it(but hadnt really rearranged properly) so i ended up putting them in a different,neutral cage and now they are all the best of buds Big Grin there will most likely be some meeping,chasing around the place but it always sounded a lot worse than it was with ours to be honest.Oh and if you're going to leave her seperate first for a little while before you do intro them,i would swap stuff between the two cages so they get used of each others scent,bedding etc i found that really made a difference.Its been a subject close to my heart lately so excuse the long,rambly post Embarrassed Tongue Hope some of that helps Grin itl will be so worth it when you see them all snuggled together,she wont know herself with friends to play with Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Catz on Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:59 am

No problem Smile For washing them I put a few inches of warm water in the sink, place them in it and gently splash the water on them, then let them hop out onto a towel thats next to the sink. If they really hate it I put on some gardening gloves (to avoid scratches) and dunk their bodies quickly before putting them on the towel. The latter usually earns me some filthy looks but a treat helps them forgive Laugh You dont need to use any shampoos as you are just trying to take the heavy smell from them.
I have yet to meet a rat that dosen't enjoy a good rub down with the towel afterwards Smile

Yes most rats can jump out of the bath and it usually takes 2 people watching for escapes but a bed is perfect if you are more comfortable using that. Providing a few activities like pea fishing might help too as the focus wont be totally on the new girl.

Just to say though this is how I intro new rats. Its not set in stone at all and some people dont do the whole bath thing first. Plenty of people have success just putting the rats together and watching them. I tend to introduce rats like I would intro new dogs Smile
Catz
Mentor
Mentor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum