Very weak rat

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Very weak rat

Post by smokierat on Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:49 pm

We came back this morning after a night out to find Ralf acting very strangely Sad Some of you might have read the posts about her bleeding,and we have trying different antibiotics the last few weeks with a spay as a last resort.She is very very weak,barely able to walk and has a pronounced wheeze Sad she is awake at the moment but im not sure what she is really aware of.despite the recent bleeding she has been otherwise fine up til now,hopping around the place last night when we left so i just dont know whats going on with her.we are waiting for the vets to open at ten,but i doubt il get to see my vet and im not all that keen on the other vet at that practice so will probly end up seeing a totally new vet,anyone have any advice?

Back to top Go down

Re: Very weak rat

Post by katherine on Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:32 pm

Just got your text Sad I'm rally sorry, got my fingers crossed for her. I strongly reccomend Suzanne at Abbeyville 021 - 4317 019 they are on the Togher Rd if you need to go.

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:58 pm

If Katherine's vet isn't about, you might try Denis at Dunmanway again? Sad I'm so sorry - but to be honest it doesn't sound good, and if she's that weak and lethargic, as well as wheezing, I'd not think there was much a vet could do in terms of surgery. You could possibly try the triple jab for the wheezing, but it's just prolonging things really I guess Sad though it would make her more comfortable perhaps.

I strongly suspect this is Myco in the uterus. It does affect the reproductive tract as well as respiratory (I think it actually can affect all systems in the body). It would figure, having a couple of related rats get sick with similar things would suggest that they may be rather susceptible to Myco... Sad

(((((((((((((hug)))))))))) hope it's good news anyway.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve on Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:15 pm

It must be agonizing for you at the moment, keeping you and especially Ralf in my thoughts, the vet may be able to reassure you and I hope will certainly do the best for Ralf. Keep up the heart. Steve

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:30 pm

We were thinking ourselves that we didnt know what a vet could do,but we have to give it a chance..i suppose if things dont improve il have to start thinking about making some hard decisions.Ijust wish it was a more definative thing so id know for sure if we should try to fight it or..She was so full of her normal bounce yesterday Love Ive made an appointment with Pat was thinking id go to Abbeyville actually but i thought itd be better to go to Pat in that hes been seeing her all along...Whats the triple jab?shes walking a bit more now but very unsteady on her feet still Sad Thank you guys x

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:00 pm

The triple jab is in some posts on the old forum, might be an idea to try and search it on there - but basically it's equal amounts of baytril, dexamethasone (steroid) and myllophilline (bronchdoilator). It basically helps them get over very bad crashes sometimes. It doesn't always work, and the vet should use the smallest needle possible with the baytril especially, to avoid baytril burn.

There's nothing worse than deciding to put to sleep :*( we've had to make the decision so very very many times - and it never gets easier - part of you always feels like a traitor Sad they let you know when they're ready though, you can see it in their eyes :*(

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:11 am

Well we went to the vet and he gave her a shot of antibiotics,one of anti inflammatory and one of steriods and vitb.We are going back tomorow morning at 10 to see where shes at..The wheezing is a lot less often now,im hoping it might just have been stress.we noticed she was walking with an obvious tilt too and He said what i thought,it might have been a stroke we just dont know.Shes drinking and eating alittle and resting a lot at the moment so hopefully thatl make her feel a little bit better.So we are just going to watch her over the next 24/48 hours and hope for some improvement or that difficult decision is giong to really become a reality.I just hope we are doing right by my little rogue rattie Love

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:05 am

Have all my fingers crossed for her. It must be very hard for you but here's hoping she improves overnight and you wont have to think about that Kiss

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:19 am

Thanks so much guys,its lovely to think there are other people out there rooting for her Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:07 am

Everything crossed here too Smile let us know how she goes.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:00 am

Ralf is doing much better today Smile its very early days yet obvously and its really a case of wait and see but shes returning to the Ralf we know and love Grin we saw a gradual recovery happening last night,to the point where we took her out on the couch and she moved around quite a bit and even chewed on the remote which is a very Ralf thing to do Tongue she can walk much better now,clean her face,eat and drink and was bored out of her head in the little cage on her own last night.Such a contrast to when she could barely move and sat still to let the vet gave her injections yesterday.Shes not quite back to normal,shes still a bit wobbley on her feet and the tilt is still there (but much less) and isnt eating as much as usual.I havent heard the wheezing today I kind of dont want to get my hopes up too much because you just never know and since we're not quite sure what happened,im just hoping the progress she has made doesnt regress..Pat gave more injections this morning and we have antibiotics and anti inflammatories to give her for the next week,we might bring her back to pat again tues for another check up we'll see how it goes.Please keep all those fingers crossed guys but encouraging signs so far Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:36 am

Fabulous to hear! I do hope she continues to improve, and doesn't go back downhill ((hug))

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:52 am

Glad to hear that she is picking up a bit. I'm still rooting for her, she and you are in my thoughts.

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve on Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:58 pm

Great to see that she is picking up again, might take some time yet, but lots of TLC will coax her along the road to recovery. Steve

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Catz on Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:51 am

Hope your girl is doing well Smile
Catz
Mentor
Mentor

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:09 am

Thanks everyone Smile well like i said its early days,but we're staying positive Smile shes definatly more back to herself,but not 100% i would expect her to be tired anyway and shes never liked being on her own or in the small cage,am trying to set up time with her mom and dad as much as i can.We noticed last night that she seems to have lost the feeling in her toes on her left foot.She is still getting around fine though so im hoping with all ive got that thats the worst of it Love Now if only she'd take her antibiotics for me!!Any suggestions?ive tried the usual ones that work,babyfood,yohgurt,nutrical,egg...

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:34 am

Ralf has suffered a setback,she's walking funny again.I've given her a dose of steroids,have some left over but she was given antiinflammatories yesterday by the vet so I don't know if it would be safe to give her ibruprofen as an antiinflam ? Il give her antibiotics later too.she's eating etc,and isn't as lethargic,confused or stressed as last time..

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:40 am

Ralf has suffered a setback,she's walking funny again.I've given her a dose of steroids,have some left over but she was given antiinflammatories yesterday by the vet so I don't know if it would be safe to give her ibruprofen as an antiinflam ? Il give her antibiotics later too.she's eating etc,and isn't as lethargic,confused or stressed as last time..

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:07 am

I would leave antiinflammatories until tomorrow. Just keep her warm and comfortable, and make sure she gets fluids and food. Keep her on steroids for a little while and see how she goes Sad

hope she's ok.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:50 am

Shes cuddled up with Noodles so thatl keep her nice and snug hopefully,she ate egg and nutrical a little while ago and il offer her some water out of my hand later so hopefully she'll be comfortable..Thanks Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:21 am

Oh dear Sad I hope she's ok. Thinking of her and you.

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve on Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:02 pm

So sorry to hear about Ralf having a set back, keeping my fingers crossed for her and you, you can be assured you are doing the best for her, though it is agonizine, I'sure, Steve

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:36 am

Ralf is after getting worse Sad shes lethargic,her wheeze is back and she wont drink so all shes had all day are licks of babyfood off my finger,a little egg yolk and a little nutrical Sad i honestly dont know what to do,should i ring the afterhours vet?

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:06 am

Sad The after hours vet certainly can't do any harm but I doubt they can do any more for her unless she needs fluids. Do you have an asthma inhaler you can puff into her face? That might ease her breathing, otherwise maybe try a little dark chocolate to help the wheeze and give her some apple juice to keep her hydrated and keep her warm. I'm so sorry to hear she's got worse, but at the moment the most you can do is keep her comfortable and hope. Sad You're in my thoughts - I'm not just saying it, keeping all my fingers crossed for little Ralf tonight Kiss

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:13 pm

I didn't log on last night, so missed this Sad second what Katherine says - how is she now? Sad

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top