Bullying boys

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bullying boys

Post by Catz on Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:11 am

One of my oldest Boys Di Vinci was being bullied by the rest of my man clan. They were constantly pushing him around, not letting him near the foodbowl ect. and he was very stressed. I could see it was damaging his health and took him out of the cage.
I placed him in a smaller cage with his brother and he perked up. He grew back the hair he was loosing and ate well. The cage they were in was falling apart so I decided to place him back in with the larger group after a while to see if he would settle in again while I got another cage sorted.
He settled back in fine (as did his bro) and I decided to keep them together but keeping an eye on his weight and behaviour.
A few nights ago I fed them and he was the first on the bowl. He chased Loki away from it, ate well then returned to a hammock where Loki was sleeping and tried pushing him out. There was a scuffle and lots of eeping and eventually Loki moved. Then he blocked up the guys fav tube and scuffled with anyone who entered it.
Today he had a scuffle with my alfa Eli and there were a few scratches (the level of aggression is increasing).
It seems like hes become a bully himself and I dont know what to do. He is even treating his brother roughly when before they were quite close.
He is almost 2 and his health has never been perfect but he was a sweet boy before this and the best mentor for babies. Could it be his age? Or hormones?

Catz
Mentor
Mentor

Back to top Go down

Re: Bullying boys

Post by Zoundz on Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:13 am

It's almost certainly not hormones at that age - it could be that you've not quite got the measure of your hierarchy, and that he *is* alpha, or perhaps second in command, and his authority is being challenged on a level you're not able to detect? Smile Would have to actually see them in action to know what was going on for sure though.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Catz on Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:09 pm

You are probably right. My heirachy has changed quite a bit since the death of Pip, Squeek and Riloh.
Hmmm I'm going to have to think about this one. Perhaps he would settle down in a smaller cage with one other buddy again...
Catz
Mentor
Mentor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum