weakness and old age

View previous topic View next topic Go down

weakness and old age

Post by katherine on Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:17 pm

Still no change in Monty. Poor boy looks awful. He's still lying in one place for 2 or three days at a time - then he moves (although he only switches between the igloo on the floor of the cage and the plammock) and is lying in the next spot for days. The bedding under him today was very wet so it seems he's just toileting where he lies although there are no poos which I hope is a sign that he is maybe moving about a bit when we aren't there. His breath is really heaving and fast and his eyes are very porphyrin-covered. He also seems very weak and reluctant to move to get food and drink (although I have put dishes of water and moist foods in the cage he wont use them unless they're put right in front of him, however if they are he is very greedy about it, and is licking water off my fingers even after I've been handling bits of cucumber or tomato, he's also very greedy about food if you give it to him but has lost a lot of weight.

I thought he would be gone by xmas day so I'm booking him into the vets when they open first thing tomorrow. I'm very worried that they wont be able to do anything for him, it's so heartbreaking to see him like this, if he's going to go I wish it would be peaceful.

Has anybody seen something like this before?

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Re: weakness and old age

Post by redrach on Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:19 am

hope the vets goes okay. thinking about you both.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:10 pm

Thank you Rach, sadly Monty had to be put to sleep Cry but your good wishes are much appreciated.

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve on Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:26 pm

Oh Katherine so sorry Monty had to be put to sleep. He is now free from pain and discomfort, and I'm sure at some level he was very much aware of all your care and attention, to loose such a dear and faithful friend is such a heartbreaking experience, we are all thinking of you. Steve

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:29 am

Thank you Steve, you're very kind, as always. I know it was the right decision to make and I hope he did too Sad

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:32 am

:*( ((((hug)))

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:40 am

Thanks Smile It was horrible really but as I know he had a good life and it was the best decision for him, it's ok.

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by FionaCassim on Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:32 am

I know I'm new to this, and the posts were at least a year ago, but I'm so, so sorry for your loss. The same thing happened to my Dobby only 2 months ago... I too put him to sleep and it turned out he had a pituitary tumor. It was heart breaking to do, but more heart breaking to watch him suffer. I'm sorry and hope you're ok now x
FionaCassim

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum