Correct Antibiotic Doseage

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Correct Antibiotic Doseage

Post by EssDubya on Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:42 pm

One of my ratties has a burst cyst/abcess under his chin. I'm bringing him to the vet this evening but I'm worried as the last three times I've brought a rat to the vet I've been given a very small dose that seems to be incorrect according to what I've been reading online. I've usually got 0.1ml of baytril once a day. When I queried the dose at the vets i was told it was a small dose as it was a really strong concentration of baytril (10%). Does anyone know what the correct dose of baytril is and at what concentration? None of the local vets seems to have any clue about rats Sad thanks

EssDubya

Back to top Go down

Re: Correct Antibiotic Doseage

Post by Zoundz on Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:11 am

You need 10% at about 0.15ml once a day for an average 600gram buck. Ideally you'd be using 2.5% at 0.3ml twice a day. Depends how serious the illness is.

For what it's worth, I'd probably not give Baytril for a cyst/abscess anyway... it's not likely to have much effect. Synulox is probably better, and for facial abscesses Metronidazole is often better if memory serves me correctly. Would have to get back to you for the dosages though!

Hope that helps? Smile

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum