Cage advice for newbie please :)

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cage advice for newbie please :)

Post by kirm on Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:26 am

Hi all

I'm new to this forum and am looking for some advice please.

My son would like two rats as pets - he's animal mad and we have a rescued dog at the moment. We have not had rats before and would like to check out with you pros if this cage would be suitable...

http://www.indoorpets.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=72

Any advice greatly appreciated.

thanks

kirm

Back to top Go down

Re: Cage advice for newbie please :)

Post by Zoundz on Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:33 am

That looks fine! Grin

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Catz on Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:50 am

Oooh I like the look of that cage! Your son is lucky your willing to indulge his animal loving ways.. wish my mum had been like that Laugh
Catz
Mentor
Mentor

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:04 am

It looks fantastic, though when you get it I would remove the slotted base tray and just have them on the solid one underneath. Cages usually have something like this but rats love to dig in substrate and they're not so kind on their feet.

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by kirm on Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:05 am

Hahahaha we are all animal lovers here and my sister fosters for cavalier rescue. I was hoping to find some unwanted little critters looking for a home but they seem very hard to come by on the rescue sites. I didn't want to buy from a pet shop as I dont want to support the "mill" system that supplies them. I thought the cage might be too big and they do have a smaller version with 3 tiers.

kirm

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:16 am

I have three friendly adult boys looking for a home at the moment, not rescues, they were returned to us due to owner emigrating. They're a really sweet, friendly, bonded group Smile One has sinus trouble and is a bit rattly - the other two are fine. They're about 6 months old Smile

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by shanty on Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:24 am

Haha kirm, you're spoilt for choice! Big Grin
shanty

Back to top Go down

Post by kirm on Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:43 am

Oh no, I'm not sure now... I've read the reviews and it seems that smaller rats can get out. The bar spacing is 1" - do you think thats too wide???? Am hopefully taking Shanty's boys and I'm not sure of their age....

(reviews further down the page)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sky-Storey-Ferret-Chinchilla-Mammal/dp/B002K84K2Y/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1326033208&sr=8-15

kirm

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:36 am

I dunno, I think it depends on the rats. I'm fairly paranoid about bar spacing and have a couple of boys who are real escape artists, but I know smokierat has some tiny girls in cages with fairly wide bars and they're fine. What you could do is cover it with chicken wire while they're babies, it's what I've done and it's worked very well - it's a good solution when the cage is the only one available or will be really great when they're older. It's not difficult but takes a couple of hours.

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by bikerwitch on Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:21 pm

Rats make Great Pets. But be careful of the dogs. I heard that dogs are Rats natural enemy. they can get on together but it takes alot of hard work. my advice is to keep the dogs away from the rat cage for a while until the rats settle in. as for cages if the holes are big enough to get their head through then they can fit their body through. my partner bought our cages so i get him later to post up a link for the cage we got later today. Smile
bikerwitch

Back to top Go down

Post by kirm on Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:20 am

Thanks Bikerwitch that link would be great. I don't plan on letting the dog anywhere near their cage at any time though, he's a bit intolerant of other beings which is mostly why I need an escape-proof cage Cry

kirm

Back to top Go down

Name of cage

Post by bikerwitch on Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:18 am

this is the name of the cage that we have for our little ones he got it on EBAY. there is a picture of it on a topic that Francois posted in(click link below) CRITTER 3 LB CAGE FOR RATS CHINCHILLAS FERRETS Cool Grin Big Grin Smile
http://irishratclub.forum-phpbb.co.uk/t113-so-what-cage-do-you-have
bikerwitch

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:49 am

The chicken wire thing that Katherine suggested is brill,because you can just buy the one good cage and prob wouldnt have to use for very long anyway because ratties grow so fast!

Back to top Go down

Post by kirm on Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:40 am

Yes, that is a great idea and thats what we'll do I think. Its a gorgeous cage as far as they go and my son prefers it to any he has seen so far... its his say at the end of the day, being his babies, and he's saving up to buy it himself.

kirm

Back to top Go down

Post by bikerwitch on Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:29 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ferret-Rat-Chinchilla-Cage-All-Metal-Extra-Large-/160651130625?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item25678db701

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lazy-Bones-Rat-Ferret-Single-Double-Triple-Storey-Cage-Optional-Stand-/250951192551?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Small_Animals&var=&hash=item80126b017d

this is our cage. they have it on sale on Ebay if you are interested in it. my partner was recommended this cage they say its the best rat proof cage and its not as expensive as the first one you looked at and it has loads of room for 2 rats. it can actually hold 6 adult rats. and i found different prices for you i hope this helps you.
Smile
bikerwitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:28 pm

The critter 3 is an excellent cage, provided you keep on top of cleaning as it can rust pretty easily. It is pretty rat proof too, and has narrow spacing so even babies can't get out. It's also not too bad for oldies as it has ramps to every level and no long drops, so all around it's a pretty good buy.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:57 pm

I've never had one, but I don't like the look of a critter 3. I think access looks awkward and it looks like a pain to clean.
I used to have a Furet Plus. I found the access good (not great, comparred to the srs) because one door on the front opens out and the whole lid opens off. It holds up to 4 ratties, but if male, i'd recommend 3.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ferplast-Furat-Plus-Rat-Cage/dp/B000TE0X04/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1326192815&sr=1-1
That's it there.
In terms of cost it's probably more expensive that the critter 3 and perhaps less space, so maybe it is better, but i'm sure you could get one 2nd hand on ebay for <£50. Plus, if you were to upgrade at a later stage, you can buy another and easily attach it on top.

Just another idea for you.

Alternatively, I'm a big fan of my savic royal suite, but it's expensive and huge (up to 12 rats) so unless you're planning on getting a lot, it's prob a silly idea.

Anyway, let us know what you decide
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by bikerwitch on Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:10 pm

redrach wrote:I've never had one, but I don't like the look of a critter 3. I think access looks awkward and it looks like a pain to clean.
I used to have a Furet Plus. I found the access good (not great, comparred to the srs) because one door on the front opens out and the whole lid opens off. It holds up to 4 ratties, but if male, i'd recommend 3.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ferplast-Furat-Plus-Rat-Cage/dp/B000TE0X04/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1326192815&sr=1-1
That's it there.
In terms of cost it's probably more expensive that the critter 3 and perhaps less space, so maybe it is better, but i'm sure you could get one 2nd hand on ebay for <£50. Plus, if you were to upgrade at a later stage, you can buy another and easily attach it on top.

Just another idea for you.

Alternatively, I'm a big fan of my savic royal suite, but it's expensive and huge (up to 12 rats) so unless you're planning on getting a lot, it's prob a silly idea.

Anyway, let us know what you decide

Its not that awkward to clean you can lift the whole cage away from the base and all you have to do is pour the litter out then clean. i use a sterilizing fluid to clean it and then all you have to do is pour the bedding in and then you put lift the whole cage on top. then i lift up the top lid and remove flooring if nesscary to clean it. i like it because you can use any of the doors at any of the levels Smile And our Ratties love it because there is a run for them and even space for large hut Smile and when they go out for their run they love climbing on the outside of it Smile
bikerwitch

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:30 pm

What about moving hammocks/beds/ropes/ledges etc about?
I always found the furet plus easy to rearrange every week because the whole top came off, but the critter 3 doesn't seem to have that?
I just think it looks awkward.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:46 am

The whole top lifts up Rach Smile I always found the critter/terenziani cages to be very easy for access and to rearrange cage furniture. Will have to see if I can find some photos of set ups at some point! Grin

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:17 am

REALLY?!
Completely discredit me then. I thought it was only front access, and indeed, that would be a pain.
But if it's top too then i'd say the critter 3 may be good. As I said, it's bigger than the furet plus and cheaper.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Francois on Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:28 am

Zoundz wrote:The whole top lifts up Rach Smile I always found the critter/terenziani cages to be very easy for access and to rearrange cage furniture. Will have to see if I can find some photos of set ups at some point! Grin

xx

the next time i will clean out the cages (which will be at the weekend) i will take photos of the cage been taking apart Smile if you buy the stand it makes moving the cage for cleaning easy access Smile

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by kirm on Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:04 am

Sorry to keep going on about this but... didn't I read somewhere here that the wire shelves can cause bumblefoot or something like that (no laughing please!!), so doesn't that make the critter 3 unsuitable?

kirm

Back to top Go down

Post by bikerwitch on Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:18 am

kirm wrote:Sorry to keep going on about this but... didn't I read somewhere here that the wire shelves can cause bumblefoot or something like that (no laughing please!!), so doesn't that make the critter 3 unsuitable?

Im not really sure about bumble foot so i just Googled it (it was a new word for me). Embarrassed i found a link that explains everything. we have had our guys in this cage since October and they havent developed any signs of it. my guys and Girls like making their nest from tissues that we give them and they seem to make a very sturdy bedding. This could be the reason why they not developed it.
I found a link that explains everything about Bumblefoot.
http://exoticpets.about.com/od/careofrats/p/bumblefoot.htm
But i am not a big expert on this subject as i havent encounterd it yet. i say Laura (zoundz) would know alot more as she has been caring and breeding rats for years Smile

I hope it helps Smile Smile
bikerwitch

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:38 am

Apparently thats not really true about the wire cages causing bumblefoot,its more of a genetic thing.From my personal experience,Tuffy and Nibblet had both been kept on that kind of cage for over a year before they came to me and they have had no such problems so i am inclined to believe it is a bit of a myth,like the whole shavings being evil thing

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum