What did your rats eat today?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What did your rats eat today?

Post by redrach on Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:56 am

Thought this might be an interesting topic for discussion.

This is what my lot had today.

This is the girls' mix & they both get it scatter fed in the base of the cage.
It is: ratrations no7 complete mix (35g), 2 grapes quartered, carrot, peas, brussel sprouts quartered (35g all together).
The boys get the same but at a 40g/40g measure.

Albie's about to have his supper.
It's a bowl of cous cous made with senior aid and mixed with baby food.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Re: What did your rats eat today?

Post by GillianK on Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:03 am

Blanche and Dorothy had porridge and toast for breakfast, slept all day, and tucked into mashed potatoes, peas and chicken with a little bit of garlic bread for their dinner!

They also had constant access to some honey covered seeds and millet which they both love.

I went to photograph their dinner there but they have already devoured it! I don't think Dorothy is used to food like it! She gets herself so worked up with excitement when I go to feed them that she has to go into her wheel to get the energy out of her!
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by shanty on Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:39 am

Oscar usually has porridge and toast for brekkie too Grin But today he just had his usual dry mix of rabbit food, dog food and cereals. For dinner he had mashed potato, sweetcorn and broccoli. For snacks he had some organic sweetcorn rings (some kind of baby snack I picked up in Tesco today) and a bit of Heinz baby food mixed with linseeds and sesame seeds. He's not mad about the linseeds though! Sad Redrach, is scatter-feeding better than feeding from a bowl? I'm cleaning Oscar's cage tonight, I might try it.. any particular advantages to it or is it just preference?
shanty

Back to top Go down

Post by shanty on Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:40 am

Also redrach, what age are your rats? Would the ratrations no. 7 be suitable for a 15 month old boy do you think? and would you recommend it? I want to buy some as soon as it becomes available again (Friday)
shanty

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:59 am

I find scatter feeding good because they have to work for their food. I just chuck it in the bottom then cover it over a bit with their bedding. I also found it reduced fights because it's not just in one place. Alternatively you could just hide the food all over the cage. Mine range from 11months to 30 months & they all eat it. They've all ate it from young, but when little had extra protein.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:22 am

For your lad Shanty - I'd look at an approximation on the shunamite kidney diet Smile

My lot had liver on top of their normal food tonight Laugh

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Dangerousbeans on Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:44 pm

Ok so after 20years rat free I was a bit nervous about doing things right, my previous boys had a bit of everything.

We got some rat food when we got Luna, but its awful bright coloured stuff, so I have been mixing in oats and cereal (she loves special K), shredded wheat etc, dried bananas (are these ok?), barley, sesame seeds (shelled, the ones we eat), some salad leaves and spinach, peas, brocolli, carrots, and bits of dry dog food.
She also gets tiny bits of chicken, eggs, and fish, and she had some yogurt yesterday and loved it, is that ok for her?
She doesn't seem keen on apples, but loves peas.
Is there anything else I could try? I am assuming pretty much anything?

Dangerousbeans

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:01 am

That all sounds good. I'd keep the special k to a minimum though as I think it's quite sugary, but could be wrong. Have you looked at the shunamite diet info? it's a handy resource to have a peek at, and more comprehnesive than I could be: http://www.shunamiterats.co.uk/shunamite.shtml

This one is also very good and has lots of other info and fun games on there: http://www.dapper.com.au/articles.htm#diet

The foods you're feeding all sound fine to me, you will obviously reduce the protein as she grows. It would be a good idea to give her leafy green veg at this point too, kale is particularly good but cabbage makes them stinky I think I heard - though spinach and broccoli are good and I see you're giving her those already. Dried banana is fine and so is yoghurt. It sounds like she's having a good diet to me tbh. Smile

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:28 am

All sounds good! She'll need plenty of protein while she's still tiny and growing, so chicken, eggs, fish like you said.
If you're looking a good complete mix ready made you could try ratrations.com, that's where I get mine (they should really give me commission 'cause i'm always recommending them Wink )
Otherwise low salt and sugar cereals, fruit and veg, plus protein generally makes a good diet.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:30 am

And for the sake of the topic:

Today mine had-

ratrations no 8 (kidney friendly)
applaws ocean fish
broccoli
carrot

and later Albie and Chandler will have their usual evening baby food and malt paste to keep their weight up.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:17 am

Gosh me, some well fed rats!

Today mine have had their usual pellets cos I'm still waiting for the mix to arrive.
Some cornflakes hidden in their new digging box, and a grape each.

Seems not very exciting compared to yours!
Planning to pop them some popcorn later and give them some yoghurt.
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:57 am

I gave them some yoghurt, they seemed to really like it. I also let them try some baby food to see if they liked it so I could try putting their tablet in it tomorrow. Didn't go down so well. Sad
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:39 am

For the sake of the topic then Wink ...My Dublin boys and married couple( Wink ) had cornflakes, a few cheerios, flax, noodles and oats (they had all lab blocks yesterday so today was nommy day) and Forz and Switch had a fresh meal in the form of broccoli, carrots, sweet potato and meaty pheasant bones.

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:12 am

SPOILED! Laugh Laugh

My lot had their dry mix... babies had kale and protein food... Gumbo also had a bit of that because he's lonely and he likes it <3

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dangerousbeans on Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:58 pm

Bit unsure how much protein I should be giving, so far been giving a bit about the size of a 10c coin once or twice a day, is that ok?
She loves baby spinach leaves, and was going to offer some dandelions, just wondered about the flowers, and also clover and flowers. I assume the clover flowers are ok as my previous rats ate them while in the garden with me (and loved them), but are dandelion flowers ok?
My piggies and rabbits never bothered with them, so did wonder if they are ok.
Also what age do I reduce protein?

Breakfast today will be scrambled egg, spinach leaves and some carrot, along with the dry mix.

Dangerousbeans

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:18 pm

For young rats protein is really as much as they want Smile to be reduced at about 8 weeks for well bred fat ratties, and if they are more backyard breeder/rescue/petshop rats and are still a bit small and fluffy and lacking in condition, then go on to about 14 weeks if you like Smile

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Wed May 09, 2012 7:03 am

Still feeding mine the Mums and Babies mix I got them from Rat Rations.
They'll be going on regular stuff without the added protein once I use this stuff up.

But now that I have four that'll be sooner rather than later. Though I think Edith, Cassie and Millie could do with it anyways as they're a little small/scrawny compared to Sybil even though they're all about 3 months or so.

Anyways, today they have that as usual and I also gave them 1 boiled egg between the four of them as a treat. And a fruit/vege salad in yoghurt, which they really seemed to enjoy.

Smile
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirodoragon on Wed May 09, 2012 7:29 am

Mine had dry mix Smile
Shirodoragon

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Wed May 09, 2012 8:45 am

Mine had my tea cos I'm feeling sick and actually I'm glad of it... it's stinking my room out! Laugh Roll Eyes pasta with prans in tomato sauce with mushrooms and carrots, also a wee handful of dry mix and some kale. Forz had some nutrical but wont touch the rest. I dunno whether to worry or applaud his good sense Laugh

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Wed May 09, 2012 8:48 pm

Awww - hope Forz is OK? Sad

My lot had their dry mix, with those who needed it getting Cede mix with their meds or for extra protein. Lazarus, who is still in the house with us got a small bit of jammy toast, and a wheat biscuit with nutrical on it! Grin

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Wed May 09, 2012 9:43 pm

I hope he is too. His abscess is still there at the bottom of his jaw but it's smaller, like a hard pouch of skin, only it doesn't feel attached to the actual jaw any more. Confused I hope that's good anyway. I'm glad he's taking the nutrical because his appetite is poor lately - he seems ravenous for it, but I hope it's not taking away his appetite for normal food too

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Tue May 22, 2012 8:15 am

Today mine had dry mix, dried fruit and nuts and beetroot and pak choi from our allotment Wink
Tonight they had their usual 'bedtime' snack, which was a puppy treat each today.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dangerousbeans on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:55 am

We had roast beef dinner today so rats had some too, they got a roast spud chopped up, carrots, peas, broccoli and a bit of yorkshire pud, but by far their fav was the roast sweet potato!
Anyone else feed this before?
They went mad for it and rooted around to see if we hid any bits (we often hide food around the cage for them to find).
We have found they also like spaghetti (especially the tomato bits) and they love mash spuds, and fish.

I hope we are not feeding the wrong things, I don't use salt and only olive oil, and cook most things from scratch so I know whats in them, girls get a taste of everything.

Dandelions or spinach are daily greens, they love clover flowers too.
Started a new dry mix yesterday, its got less of the small seeds and little nuggets instead, with bits of dry fruit and veg, seems to be going down very well, thank god, tried 4 different ones before this and they picked out bits and left the rest of all of them. This stuff has them cleaning the bowls.

Dangerousbeans

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:32 pm

Sounds pretty safe, as a treat anyway - I think too much of these things is probably not great, so you wouldn't feed it as their only food, but bet they *love* having them as extras! Grin

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dangerousbeans on Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:54 pm

We don't have a full roast dinner every week, but we do give a bit of any left overs most days, as well as the dandelions or Spinach etc.
They get there dry mix and corn flakes, shredded wheat, oats and stuff added most days too.
They seem healthy weight and actually eat everything in this dry mix, its from Maxi zoo (Carlow one has no pets!) was going to ask if you have come across it, will post up name when I find the packet.

Dangerousbeans

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum