Cashie, post-surgery

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cashie, post-surgery

Post by limerickrats on Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:04 am

Quick update before bed. Smile

Cashie had her op this morning and it went very well. Erica said the tumour seemed to be well encapsulated. She was confident there was enough skin to close the incision so that it shouldn't impede the movement of Cashie's hind leg on that side. Erica used an anaesthetic cocktail that's recommended for rats (think it was ketamine and domitor) but it kept wearing off. (Maybe due to rats having a high metabolism?) We'd given it under the skin rather into the peritoneum. Erica reckoned that intra-peritoneum was a bit drastic and would sting like hell with the ketamine. We put Cash on gas anaesthetic (Halothane) for a finish. She had her face in a tiny anaesthetic mask - it was very cute!

Cash is starting on Baytril tomorrow but Erica said to avoid using the Metacam unless it's to bring down swelling. She's worried Cash will interfere with the stitches if it doesn't hurt?

I have Cash in a small hamster cage tonight and might keep her there for a few days? I'm afraid her climbing in her home cage will delay healing or might burst a stitch? Hopefully Tola will be grand with it when I put Cash back in with her in a few days. I know with dwarf hamsters and gerbils that re-introductions can be a bit fraught, even if it's only after a couple of days!

Cashie is comfortable anyways tonight, wrapped up in vet bed in her fleece cube. She's had a dinner of Heinz pork casserole baby food, served on a teaspoon (which she gobbled) and I have a warm hot water bottle under one half of the cage. Big Grin

Thanks for all the moral support and all advice welcome! Love

Cashie just before the op this morning - you can see the size of the tumour in this pic.

limerickrats

Back to top Go down

Re: Cashie, post-surgery

Post by GillianK on Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:50 pm

Poor little one. Hope she recovers quickly. I'd def go for metacam, it'd relieve pain as well as bring down swelling. Keeping us updated on how she is.
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:56 pm

Eep - hope she's OK... will post this on the NFRS, as the anaesthetics sound very odd to me... watch her over the next few days for heart trouble.

For future purposes, the safest anaesthetic is Isofluorane, Halothene is not supposed to be very safe...

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:56 am

In theory - the ketamine/domitor combo should be OK - but if they take any time coming around from surgery it can be a problem. Generally injectable anaesthetics are not recommended for pet rats due to the ubiquity of myco, and many injectables suppress respiration. Best we've found so far is straight Isofluorane gas.

Also - Ann said this:

It's a very old fashioned idea not to give pain relief to rats post op. They are recommended to use it in labs so why are vets any different? No pain relief is 100% post op so why would it stop it hurting completely? Also animals are more likely to worry their sutures if they do hurt.

Hope that helps a little? Smile

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by limerickrats on Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:43 am

Bad news tonight - the incision has split open across Cashie's thigh, just above the knee. Cry

I had taken her out of the hamster cage tonight for the first time since her surgery on Wednesday, and just let her sit on my shoulder and and walk around the back of my neck from shoulder to shoulder. I heard her bruxing and then when I was putting her back in the cage I saw that the stitches had burst. Embarrassed

Erica had mentioned that wound dehiscence could be a possibility, but I wasn't prepared for it as I was just so relieved she'd come through the op and that the wound looks so well.

Texted Erica but she may be off duty tonight so going to ring the clinic now to see who's on call.
limerickrats

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK on Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:13 am

Let us know how she is. Poor little girl.
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by limerickrats on Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:44 am

Rang the clinic, Roisin reckoned it can wait til the morning. She's had metacam so I hope that is enough pain relief and the Baytril should offset any bacteria that get in there. Roisin asked me to bandage Cash up for now, but in restraining her and her wiggling, she burst more stitches. Cry

I don't think the wound is going to stay closed if we restitch so I think I am running out of options for her.

I feel awful that I have put her through all of this. Maybe it would have been a kindness to her to simply pts in the first place. Poor Cashie. Cry
limerickrats

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK on Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:20 am

I put my rat to sleep a fortnight ago due to cancer. She was weak and had lost condition and vet felt a lump, so I made the decision.

But each case is different and the vet wouldn't have performed surgery if she thought Cashie was unable to make it. Even if the worst happens, you can always say that you did all you could for her. That's all you can do.

Keep us updated. xxx

Last edited by GillianK on Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:49 am

Dont feel bad,you at least gave her a chance x Dont Panic too much,rats are great healers and she does have pain relief so just see how she goes.Obv i dont know how hers looks but when we got Noodles neutured,he had to be kept in as he removed his own stitches Roll Eyes had them put in again,he then proceeded to remove them again a few days later and was fine.Is she bleeding much?All of our rattie fingers and toes crossed here for her and you x

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:00 pm

Sad Could you pop her in a sock with the toe cut off? so at least she wont be getting dirt in the wound even if some pathogens will get in. Do you have any vetbed gold to pop her on cos that's supposed to be magic for infection- though I'm sure you know more about it than me. Grace's right, they are great healers. Good luck, I hope she's ok.

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:31 pm

Perhaps try the old trick of covering her with elastic wrap bandage (the stuff they use for plaster casts) as it stops them chewing and it's good and tight so aids healing.

Whatever happens - all the best Sad

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve on Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:44 pm

Thinking of you and Cashie at the moment, do not feel guilty in any way, your intention was to do the best given the limited circumstances available to you. The poor thing, I do hope she recovers, as Laura says rats are great healers. The important thing as the moment is to keep the wound clean and safely away from any hard surfaces. Hope all goes well for you and the little one. Steve

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by limerickrats on Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:39 am

Ye are all so kind. I can't thank ye enough for the words of encouragement!

I was so upset last night when she burst another stitch and because cos I had hurt Cashie while I was putting on the bandage. I was really doubting the wisdom of going ahead with the surgery. I really thought the vets would say this morning that the kindest option would be pts. But instead they were very happy with the wound and said it's not bad at all! The pocket on her side where a stitch burst is small, and the gap where the incision opened up above her knee is already beginning to heal by second intention. They said it would actually detrimental to interfere with it. So I'm under strict instructions to confine her to the hamster cage, keep it scrupulously clean and continue with the Baytril and Metacam. They also gave me some dermactin cream to put on twice a day, which is supposed to be really good.

I had a foster dog before who had a bad leg injury with a lot of the skin taken clean off in a road accident so it couldn't be stitched. Although it took a good while, it did heal by second intention and gradually closed over completely. So I think Cashie will be fine. It might be better for the skin above her knee to heal this way anyway, as I think the stitch there was under too much tension. Erica had warned me about that.

So I think we are out of the woods for now, phew! I got her a snugglesafe heat pad on the way home and she is tucked up in her fleece cube after a dinner of chicken on the bone and some baby food. Smile
limerickrats

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:18 am

Aw it's great to hear she is doing well Smile

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by limerickrats on Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:32 am

It's only a week since Cash burst two of her stitches and then pulled the remaining ones out... Roll Eyes

Hard to believe this is the same wound - it looks absolutely amazing! Go Cashie! (Food in the bowl is remnants of Shunamite din-dins.)

And this is the nasty tumour that was causing all the upset - please god now it won't come back, fingers crossed.

Here she is at her first vet visit, before Christmas. You can see why I love her and why I'd do anything for her. Love

limerickrats

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:41 am

Aww - bless her - and that wound looks great! Grin

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve on Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:34 pm

Yes, I can see why you love her so much. Great to hear that she is on the mend. She is just a beauty, Steve

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:03 am

Shes a little dote Smile glad to hear shes on the mend!

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK on Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:10 am

So glad she's doing well! She's adorable! Love
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:42 am

Aw poor girl :O no wonder it was causing a bother. I'm glad to see her looking so happy though. She's very cute Grin

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum