Has anyone seen anything like this before?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Post by GillianK on Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:01 am

This happened to my cat Sasha in last 2 weeks. It started small and has gotten bigger and bigger. She's almost 10 and had her all her life. Shes always been healthy, and there's been no changes whatsoever to diet, routine, fabric conditioner, anything.

One incident happened in that she got locked in our neighbour's garage for 2 days, and after that she began losing hair, so that might be the cause although I'm not sure. She's licking excessively.

Has anyone seen anything like it or know what it is?

Last edited by GillianK on Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Post by Zoundz on Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:07 am

I'm no cat expert, but it looks like it could be a Staphylococcus aureus infection. I would get it seen by the vet and see if they can give you something like fuciderm cream and maybe an oral antibiotic. Might be best to get a skin scrape done.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK on Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:47 am

Took Sasha to vet this evening (never out of that place!) To my ALARM, vet believes it is ringworm, which is a skin infection due to a fungus! She says it's contagious to other pets and to humans! Soooo Sasha has been put on a daily oral treatment I've to give her for next 7 days (then to go back to vet again) a booster collar was put round her neck to stop her licking her big wound, and I've had to quarantine her out of the house.

So I've put her in our garden shed with her litter, food, water and bed (feel badly about it as she's a cat that loves being inside in winter) But to protect us and our other pets, I had no choice. And I've now to sterilise the house, and check all our other animals (and ourselves) for signs of it over next few days, although vet thinks if we had caught it we'd be showing signs by now! EWWWW!!!

Good thing is Sasha is a loner, and only person who actually touches her is my husband as she is his cat, and she hates all our other pets. So guess who's sleeping in the spare room for a while!

Vet believes she may have caught it from catching a mouse or rat. She says wild rats are carriers of ringworm so ... Yuck!
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:10 am

It looks and sounds like ringworm to me. There's really no need to put your cat in the shed though. You would certainly have it already and it's self limiting. I think it's pretty rare for rats to have it but is contagious more between farm animals, dogs and cats. I would simply keep it covered, wash everything as you say (quite hot), and wear gloves when treating the site. It takes about a month to go away from the start of treatment.

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:38 am

Oh there def is a need to get her out of the house. It's contagious to humans as well as to other pets (been reading into it all evening lol), Pet hair must be rigorously removed from all household surfaces, and then the vacuum cleaner bag (and often the vacuum cleaner itself) discarded when this has been done repeatedly. Removal of all hair is important, since spores may survive 12 months or even as long as two years on hair clinging to surfaces. She is contantly shedding so yeah I need her out of the house! I can't be taking the risk (I have a lot of pets, and a son)

So yeah vet's advise was to isolate her out of the house, and as you said, sterilise everything as best I can. Operation spring clean is in action way early! Damn cat!

I went mad on Amazon and bought lots of Anti Fungal treatments and shampoo for humans and pets, so come the weekend, I'll have the cleanest house and the cleanest pets in Ireland! lol
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:53 am

Could be ringworm, but doesn't look very much like it to me... :/ I would still say a skin scrape would be a good idea.

I think you need not to worry too much about the risk to yourself and family/other animals - ringworm is very easy to treat really, and not at all dangerous - just annoying.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK on Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:31 pm

Well, the vet said for her to come back in a week to see if the ringworm treatment has had any effect. The wound glowed under a light, which made the vet think it was ringworm. She said she'd investigate other possibilities if the treatment has had no effect.

Well, yes I see what you mean, that it's not dangerous and is self limiting, but Sasha looks horrific. One half of her is totally raw, and there are other patches developing rapidly. She looks like shes been skinned alive, and I don't want my other animals catching it and having to go through that, or my son. I just feel it's best I contain it as best I can.

But hopefully it will clear up quickly. Poor Sasha. :-(

GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:13 pm

Hopefully it is just bad ringworm and can be cleared promptly. All the best!

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:55 pm

I know where you're coming from, but as you say any spores will already be in the house, now it's being treated there's very little need to worry. I have had it and while it isn't pleasant it's not a major worry. It's one of those things that if you work with/ have animals you just have to accept it's going to come up a few times.

I hope she gets better soon anyway Smile

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:34 pm

Hope Sasha is improving with the medication. If it is ringworm you do need to be careful when handling her. Always wash hands carefully after handling her and after treatment. If I remember correctly, my sister's cat once picked up ringworm (they live out the country) and her daughter, and my niece caught it, nasty,so be careful, wash, wash, wash. Steve

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Catz on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:49 am

Ugh ringworm is the worst! I had it as a kid when I couldn't stop petting stray dogs I met on the way to school. Hope it gets sorted soon!
I was at the vet recently with my dog (she was loosing hair, inflamed skin, itchy etc.) and they thought it was sarcoptic mange. I really scared myself reading everything on the net I could find. Sarcoptic mange is extremely contagious and can give humans scabies so I was scrubbing everything she had touched and moved the smaller animals to my OH's dads house as a precaution. I told my trainer about the medication we had Rio on and she said it sounded like the vet was just pumping her with steroids in hopes that it went away so we went for a second opinion there on Friday (got a skin scrape) and it turns out Rio just has a flea allergy and sensitive skin.
Its really scary to think your pet may be contagious but dont panic and if she looks likes shes not improving then get a second opinion. A skin scrape really is the best thing to do with any skin issue as they all have similar symptoms Smile
Catz
Mentor
Mentor

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:18 am

Scariest for me was the Staph aureus - some of you will have seen the state of my hand before the summer when I caught it off one of the rats! It's horrible- painful, hard to treat and can leave evil scars. Luckily this one didn't. As far as I'm aware, can also turn into much much nastier and very serious things, such as necrotising fasciitis.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:10 am

Aw nightmare Laura. I'm a clean freak. I'm sooo careful with hygiene in my home and with all my pets. I dunno where that cat has picked up ringworm but from what I'm learning it's very common. Just been giving my son a good scrub in anti fungal shampoo, and vacuumed for 2 hours today!

Sasha looks miserable out in the shed. Just tucked hot water bottle in her bed but she wants to go outside or into the house. Took ages to get the meds into her. She gets a daily oral dose of imaverol. She hates the booster collar and looks a bit dazed with it.

GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve on Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:07 pm

Poor Sasha, her nine lives will certainly stand by her in this one, hope she is doing ok the poor thing, there is nothing worse than looking at a sick cat, hope she improves, you are doing all you can to help her, rest assured, Steve

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum