Eye irritation?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Eye irritation?

Post by Babs on Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:58 am

This is kind of a double question.

I've had Jess since early October last year. I bought her from a breeder when she was itty bitty, and he told me she was about eight weeks old. The weird thing is, all my other girls have grown but Jess never really has. She got a bit bigger, but she's got to be about five months now and she's still really tiny for her age. The other girls have dwarfed her and beside the boys she looks like a newborn! I was just wondering is this a normal thing, for a doe to stay that tiny, or could there be something off about her?

The other thing is that the last week or so, she's had this red crust around her eyes. Google tells me it could be due to stress, but the only thing I can think of that might have caused it is the removal of Kitty, who had been with her since the day I brought them home. I can't put Kitty back in yet because she's still nursing the babies, but I have let them see each other during run arounds and they don't seem overly excited or anything. At first I thought it might go away on its own, but this morning she seemed to be having some difficulty opening her eyes, like the red stuff was sticking them together. Buffy hasn't got anything like it, nor have any of the boys or Kitty. It's a strange one for me, and I'm not sure whether or not I should be worried Confused
Babs

Back to top Go down

Re: Eye irritation?

Post by Zoundz on Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:02 pm

Pictures? The red crust is porphyrin, and it's like ratty tears/snot - it's just mucus, but it can be indicative of infection. I would try something like fucithalmic eye ointment at first, see how that goes - if it's not shifting it, then something stronger perhaps. She does sound tiny Sad could be that she just never developed properly - if she's from a poor breeder who doesn't feed properly as kittens then that is possible.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs on Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:14 pm

Oh god, I just ran downstairs to take her out and get some pictures and I thought she was dead. Usually when I open the cage she's out like a light and up onto my shoulder, but she just lay sideways in her hammock, didn't move at all even when I picked her up and then she just raised her head and looked at me. I've got her up in my room with me now, I'm gonna settle her in one of my spare cages up here for the night and keep an eye. She's definitely sick, she's not herself at all. I got an awful fright just now, she really seemed dead. I think I'll abandon food this month and take her to the vet tomorrow, not going to risk it.

I'll get some pictures now for you and post them on here, though it looks like she's cleaned up her eyes herself now. They're worse in the mornings, so might have to wait until tomorrow for those. But I'll show you how small she is.
Babs

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:20 pm

Here's Jess beside on her sickly little adventure through the living room. I tried to capture how small she is but really none of the pictures seem to do it justice.

Babs

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:39 pm

Hmm - not really possible to tell from photos - but the floppy, comatose behaviour is definitely major worry. I would definitely get her to the vet, she possibly needs steroids, sub cutaneous fluids and antibiotics - it could be something like the starting of pneumonia.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs on Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:01 am

The vet who usually treats my rats isn't back until Monday, but we've made our appointment. I measured her while she was running along my arm earlier (no easy feat!) and she came to 6 and a half inches long, probably about seven when she's stretching out or standing. If we can manage to get a show in Dublin - I'm still working on trying to find an animal tolerant venue that's reasonably priced - I'll take Jessie with me to show you her. It's just that to hold her and see her beside other rats she seems absolutely tiny Confused
Babs

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK on Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:09 am

My Blanche has exactly the same thing, like a red crust under her eye. Shes only had it in last week or so. Cleaned it all off yesterday when she had her bath. But yeah might take up some suggestions on here! Hope it clears up!
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:58 am

Porphyrin in itself on a rat is nothing to worry about at all - like when your eyes are gummy in the morning. It's the other symptoms Jess is showing that indicate it's a sign of something else, so don't worry about it, Gillian. My lot are often stained with it Tongue That's mucky boys for you.

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:39 am

As Katherine said! Smile

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down