Help please!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Help please!

Post by Babs on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:13 am

Okay, so I had Kitty out for her little run around with me in the kitchen, and I literally took my eye off her for one second while I went to the sink, and when I turned back around she was holding and nibbling at a paracetamol tablet. I have no idea where she got it from, there were none on the counter (apart from that ninja one, obviously) and to my knowledge we don't even actually have a box of them anywhere. She had eaten a bit off the top of it, not quite a quarter of it but she was really scoffing it down like it was some sort of prized treat.

I feel really awful right now because I'm usually so overly cautious and then I go and let something like this happen. She seems fine and it's too late for a vet either way, but is there anything I should look out for?
Babs

Back to top Go down

Re: Help please!

Post by katherine on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:33 am

Rats can have paracetamol - but obviously an overdose would have the same effect as if we were to take one - if she's still alert and active I wouldn't worry too much - poke her awake every few hours. Because rats can't throw up I very much doubt there'd be anything you could do if she had had too much, but I'd expect any signs to have appeared by now. Meh

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:44 am

Thank you! That's really put my mind at ease. It wasn't a lot that she ate, but it was more than just a bite or two. I've kept her with me and she seemed alright, but when I popped her back into her tank just now she lay down like a dog on her tummy on the top level. It's unusual for her, but she did sometimes do it before she was pregnant, so it might be just a coincidence. I'll keep an eye on her for the night anyway, she's up and cleaning the kittens now. Hopefully it'll be alright. Thanks again! Smile
Babs

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:50 am

No problem, I hope she's ok. It sounds to me like she is but keep us updated Smile

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs on Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:30 am

She's acting a little strangely, but it could be that she's not used to it or I'm just being paranoid. She's sleeping on the top shelf of her tank on her tummy and kind of twitching a little bit now and then. Could be that it just made her really tired for some reason, but I'll definitely be watching her. My rats are not having the best of weeks!
Babs

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:31 pm

Keep an eye on the babies too - I'm not sure if paracetamol can penetrate the milk (some drugs can't), but if it can, they will be getting doses as well.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:38 am

Kitty and babies are absolutely fine, thank god! I kept an eye on her through last night and today, but she's back to normal and the babies seem their usual selves (they're jumping now - with eyes closed!) Thanks so much for all your help Grin
Babs

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:45 am

These ratties of ours like to keep us on our toes dont they Roll Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs on Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:00 am

Tell me about it! I swear, it's like a chain reaction. First Jess get's sick, then Kitty tries to OD, then Buffy escapes and hangs out with the boys for god knows how long. . .they make me feel like such a bad rat mother. I've never had pet rodents before with such a knack for trouble. But then most of those rodents bit me at least once and I've never been bitten by a rat, so we'll call it even Wink
Babs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum