Blanche still not improving. :-(

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Blanche still not improving. :-(

Post by GillianK on Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:00 pm

Despite 2 different types of antibiotics, Blanche is still wheezing and sneezing. She had blood round her left eye yesterday which is scabbing today. Don't know if that's related. I really thought the antibiotics would have helped. I know I can phone vet for more antibiotics, but she hates taking them. She won't take food I've mixed them with so it needs to be given direct into her mouth with a syringe which she hates.

This has been going on 4 weeks now, since Stella died. She is still eating and drinking, and is still active. But I'm worried about her. I really don't want to lose Blanche. She's still only 18 months, and I felt she'd be with me at least another 6-12 months.

Has anyone else had this problem with their rats? With respiratory infections being chronic and difficult to cure? Should I push on with more antibiotics?

GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Re: Blanche still not improving. :-(

Post by Zoundz on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:00 am

Respiratory infections are very often chronic and difficult to cure - sometimes impossible.

Firstly, the 'blood' around her eye is porphyrin, and nothing to worry unduly about. Secondly, can you tell whether the noise is nasal or from the chest? Wish I was closer as I can usually tell pretty much instantly. If it's nasal it could be sinus trouble. If it's chesty (or nasal actually) it could be scarring.

Is she OK in herself? Is she at all 'down' or sluggish? If she's normal and fine in herself, I'd finish whatever course of meds she's on now, and leave her for a bit - see if she comes down again. If she's not ill in herself, it could just be lung/nasal scarring, and she may make noise for the rest of her life, but medicating her when she's not actually *ill* could be detrimental.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK on Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:34 am

It sounds nasal but I'll look into that more. Sounds like she's really blocked up. She is sleeping more, and in her little bed more than she was, but she does come out to me as much as she did and she is eating well, although has lost a little weight (prob not a bad thing as she was overweight but I still wish she hadn't)

I think you're right - I'll finish the antibiotics and let her be for a bit.

lol. There was a time last night when I felt like putting her in the car and driving her to Cork so you could see her yourself! I'll maybe try to video her doing her wheezing.

Thanks for message. I'll see if I can get that video :-)
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Lew on Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:53 am

It probably is nasal, and that would also explain the porphyrin discharge around the eyes. Normally in a healthy rat the porphyrin that lubricates the eyeballs drains out through the nasal passages. If the rat is congested this can't happen so you end up with gammy eyes.

Technical Administrator
Technical Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:34 am

Hope your girl feels better soon Smile sounds like her behaviour is normal enough so like the guys said just see how she goes.One of my girls sounds quite snotty from time to time,and i treated her her but its still on and off so im hoping its just that nasal scarring and nothing else as her behaviour is as mental as ever Love wouldnt hurt to give her a rattie multivitamin though if you wanted Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum