Cushings disease

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cushings disease

Post by smokierat on Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:00 am

Ok so we had Noodles at the vet this evening for a check up,to make sure his leg (which had been sore and swollen last week) and we had the vet test his urine as she noticed it was very dilute last week and was "10 and 6" on the urinalysis refractometer compared to Pixies sample which we gave as a base sample,which was "10 and 50+".She was checking a hunch she had about Cushings-she thought his weight might have something to do with that,an overactive adrenal gland.She doesnt think he has kidney issues and there was no protein in his urine which is good..He had also lost a little weight and his foot is miles better Grin I was just wondering if anyone had dealt with this in rats or any other animals?the vet said its quite hard to diagnose as there isnt a whole lot of research or anything to draw from,and the only treatment is licensed for dogs and would be very experimental on rats,but i really appreciate her taking the time and making the effort.She said she dealt with a suspected case about 5 years ago,and is going to see if she can find any more material on it again,apparently being treated for it involves observation and regular testing but thats very hard to in rats as there is little or nothing to compare with as an example of 'normal'...

Back to top Go down

Re: Cushings disease

Post by Zoundz on Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:18 am

Not a clue! Will see what I can find out for you! Smile

xx

ETA - found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cushing%27s_syndrome - which say it's a pituitary tumour - which he's showing no symptoms of... will ask on NFRS.

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:53 am

Came across some references to pts too,but the vet didnt mention anything of the sort so i thought maybe the pt is just one of the related issues..Thanks a mil Laura Smile the vet seems to think he wouldnt be suffering with it,he doesnt seem to be..

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:01 pm

Well - as far as I can make out, despite being a type of PT - it doesn't have the same symptoms at all. I asked on NFRS, and Ann said she'd post on Monday as she was off to the Bradford today.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel on Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:45 pm

I know I'm very late in this reply and you and your vet probably worked things out, but just in case - my dog suffers from cushings disease. I can find out more from my parents if you like, but her symptoms included hair loss, change in appetite, weakening of her back legs and collapsing. She's had it for a couple of years and we manage it well with the medication the vet prescribed (will find out the name if you like), although as far as I know there is no cure.

Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:24 am

Thanks Mel Smile apparently its quite difficult to diagnose and treat in rats,his wee is very dilute and he's very thirsty with thankfully no signs of kidney or diabetic issues,and has always been a really really hungry and fat Shocked rat.no hair loss though,isn't the most mobile rat but put that done to sheer weight,lazyness and age....the vet wants me to measure fluid intake and output so must do that soon,but apparently there's nothing substantial to compare results with and so hard to diagnose.and apparently the treatment requires very careful monitering,which requires aforementioned information...sooo don't know if we would treat it,but it would be interesting to know if it is that,might allieviate Some of the guilt over his weight Sad on the plus side she said that he didn't appear to be suffering at all with it Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum