Shunamite

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Shunamite

Post by smokierat on Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:42 am

Its time for us to mix up a new batch,and i was wondering what other people like to include in theirs?i try to make the mix slightly different every time so id love to hear what people find their ratties really like,what they take into consideration when mixing one up etc.i have a fairly mixed age group to cater for,so my priorities are really making sure its low in fat,but nicely varied to make sure its balanced.i used to include a bit of pasta,but im going to give that a miss this time i think and maybe just give it to the babies as an odd treat.Ive also included egg noodles in the past,and was wondering Does that then count as protein?im going to mix up in between fresh(usually egg or chicken) and dry protein from now on i think,to keep things interesting but just hand feed that mainly to control who gets what.my lot seemed to love shredded wheat when they tryed it recently,so thatl be going in there,is it suitable for older ratties?im always conscious of the kidney friendly aspect with the older ratties...
Anyway,would appreciate any input Smile

Back to top Go down

Re: Shunamite

Post by Zoundz on Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:23 am

Shredded wheat is fab - we use Aldi's own brand as it's cheap and low in sugar etc.

We mix ours with Mr Johnson's Rabbit, Arkwright's dog kibble and either cornflakes, rice crispies (Tesco value) or shredded wheat! Smile

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Lew on Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:29 am

Funnily enough, I used to go to great pains to make a "shunamite" mix, buying low salt/low sugar cereals, researching dog kible etc. Since I switched to feeding my boys Pampurred Pets' "Rat Feast" food and table scraps I'm getting comments at shows about what good condition my boys are in. Make of that what you will. Wink

Technical Administrator
Technical Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:09 am

Table scraps can be great,ours get some left over healthy bits too so obviously that balance is working for you Lew Smile havent heard of that food,where do you get it?i do the same Laura,im actually quite happy with it,i just like getting ideas..What ratio do you use Laura,60% base?thats what i use,im v.happy with the Johnsons so ive no plans to move from that,just being nosy about what other people are using Tongue is millit as high in fat as ive heard?at the mo,my skinny girls get it as a treat the odd time.I would include a small bit in the mix if i thought it wasnt too fatty

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:18 am

I've changed mine a lot since moving back here - what with different things available and having a lot less time to fiddle. I now do supreme rat kibble as a base (it's vegetarian so no yukkies) along with corn flakes, puffed rice, shredded wheat bitesize and hills k/d dog kibble with dried herbs and linseed and any other grains I have knocking about or see in the supermarket. The younger ones get egg noodles with theirs and they all get a few table scraps but not many. I can't say as I've noticed any difference either way since changing it.

Yes Grace, the noodles would have to be taken into account as a protein source, but because they're egg and therefore 'gentle' and you're not using much (I guess) I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Last edited by katherine on Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to say...)

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lew on Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:22 am

smokierat wrote:havent heard of that food,where do you get it?

It's from a high street pet supplies shop here in the UK called Pampurred Pets. It's handy because you can buy it by weight rather than pre-bagged so it's better value than most rat foods.

Technical Administrator
Technical Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:11 pm

Would like to try that one Lew - but unfortunately, we can't get it here Sad This is my main reason for sticking to Shunamite, that it's pretty easy to do here by comparison to a lot of diets, good for making up large bulk and the rats have always done well on it Smile I'm not even sure what ratios we use because it's second nature mixing it now! Big Grin

My only bug bear is the cost of the rabbit food - we have to drive 10 mile round trip to get it, and it costs €22 for 15kg - which they go through in about a fortnight! :/

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: