Collecting a rat today

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Collecting a rat today

Post by Babs on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:47 pm

A family in Westmeath have to give away their pet rat because they're moving away on Monday. I offered to take her because, well, no one else would and I'm a sucker for rats with nowhere to go. I'm collecting her today at about 12ish, but as much as I'd like to I know in my own heart and soul I wouldn't be able to keep another girl, since I'll be keeping one of Kitty's litter and I want to be able to offer all the girls equal attention. If it was a boy I'd manage, what with poor Tobes and Scrabs being so old...but no.

Would anyone here be interested in adopting this girl from me? I can keep her for as long as needed, no problem. According to the girl giving her away, she doesn't have a name and is black and white. I'm assuming she's a hoodie, but she's been living alone so I'd imagine she'd be glad to have some rattie company. I'll ask how old she is when I go to get her, as I know some of you here were looking for more mature females.
Babs

Back to top Go down

Re: Collecting a rat today

Post by Zoundz on Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:43 pm

Two members here are looking for a lone girl at the moment - but I think age matters with both. Hopefully they will see this Smile

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs on Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:13 am

Yep, got her Smile According to the family who owned her, she is eight months old, and she's a nice sized girl (especially compared to my little petites!) She's absolutely gorgeous. Here's some pictures of her;

We brought the rattie travel case, but she ended up sitting on my shoulder the whole way home, and it was quite a journey. She's a sweetie, really hope somebody can offer her a nice home!
Babs

Back to top Go down

Post by Lew on Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:29 am

Very pretty. She looks to be an over-marked capped, btw.

Technical Administrator
Technical Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Lew on Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:31 am

BTW…
Babs wrote:…I'll be keeping one of Kitty's litter
I'd recommend that you keep two from the litter rather than just the one. At that age they need same-age company so that they can play. Older rats aren't likely to want to play very much with them. Now that the kittens' eyes have opened you'll see what I mean as they should start playing with each other soon.

Technical Administrator
Technical Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK on Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:51 am

She is the same as my Dorothy who is the same age as her. Dorothy came from a litter of 13, and her breeder said she'd sold several to people in Dublin. Wonder if they're related
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs on Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:41 am

They could well be related, though the house we went to collect her from was really far away. It took us a good hour and a half to find them. But they might have travelled to a breeder to collect, so it's definitely a possibility. She's a gorgeous rat, her markings are beautiful. I love the little stripe on her head. <3
Babs

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:21 am

AW she looks just like my Maddi Love Hope you find someone lovely to take her on.

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:56 am

Babs wrote:They could well be related, though the house we went to collect her from was really far away. It took us a good hour and a half to find them. But they might have travelled to a breeder to collect, so it's definitely a possibility. She's a gorgeous rat, her markings are beautiful. I love the little stripe on her head. <3

Back-yard breeder*
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs on Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:17 am

In case anybody is interested, I've got some updates on this girl (I'm calling her Darcy for now).

She's very very shy once you put her in the cage. I tried to take her out yesterday and she squealed and ran underneath her little wooden house and refused to come out until after I'd gone. When I did managed to coax her out later on with some treats, she squeaked when I picked her up but didn't struggle as much. Once she's out, she's an angel. Sits on your shoulder no problem, though is a good bit more active if she can smell the boys. But once she's in the cage, she's suddenly timid and shy again. She is getting a little better now, she doesn't run every time someone walks by and she's started to sleep out in the hammock rather than underneath the house all the time.

She's still up for adoption if anyone would like her. I would keep her, but I'm a bit more into keeping bucks and my cage for the does really isn't big enough for keeping her permanently.
Babs

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh on Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:12 am

hello, i'd love to take her, only i'm not sure my cage is big enough for another one... i have three girls in it at the moment, all under five months. here's a link to my cage - can anyone tell me whether this would be suitable for four rats? http://www.reptilia.org.uk/large-chinchilla-rat-cage-472-p.asp
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:17 am

Four would be a maximum. I'd prefer 3 in there, but you could keep four in there as long as they get lots of out time Smile

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by limerickrats on Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:10 am

My girls are 14-15 months. (Born approx Oct. 2010). Do you guys think think that would be too much of an age gap with Darcy? I would love to give her a home. My girls live in a Furet Tower so loads of room. One of my girls, Tola, sounds just like Darcy in temperament so I think they would get along well. There's never any aggro between Tola and Cash so hopefully a third girl would be accepted?
limerickrats

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:33 pm

A third would almost certainly be accepted, but intros may cause a few scuffles and injuries, and it's just a case of softly does it, and they should get along - but be prepared for fighting at first Smile

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs on Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:54 am

I have some really sad news. Darcy passed away.

I noticed it when I was cleaning the girls cage yesterday. She was lying under their spudnick toy, and there was blood all around her hind end. She was still breathing when I found her, and I lifted her out really carefully. One of her eyes was closed, one was open and she kept kicking her back feet. I called my mam to ring the vet, and she was making the appointment when Darcy just died. No spasms or anything. She just stopped breathing.

I buried her out the back by the pond this morning. I can't believe that happened. She seemed so healthy, and it was just so sudden. I've checked online, can't really find anything that would lead her to pass so quickly. If anyone has any idea I'd appreciate it. There is every chance she was sick when I got her. She just didn't seem to be at all. I feel so guilty for not noticing sooner. And she was such a good girl, she had so much going for her. Really saddened over this.
Babs

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK on Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:49 am

So very sorry to hear that. Rest peacefully little Darcy. Sad
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:01 am

Oh no! That's awful Sad I am shocked and saddened to hear this. Sadly I have no idea what might have happened. Was there and external wound on her? Or did it come from internally? If internally maybe she was anaemic, maybe she fell and ruptured something, maybe she was pregnant and something went wrong? Just ideas, I really don't know Cry

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:44 am

It's impossible to know without post mortem, but chances are there was nothing to notice before it happened. All the things Katherine's mentioned could be a possibility.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by interceptor on Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:03 am

Thats a pity Babs, I lost two gerbils in the last week due to unrelated unknown causes and its always sad when there is no clear reason.

D.

interceptor

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh on Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:29 am

i'm so sorry to hear this - rest peacefully darcy.
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs on Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:23 am

Vet pretty much said the same thing concerning the post mortem when I called him afterward, though he also said it could have been an anyurism or rupture of something or other. It was all so sudden, I'm still kind of shock about it. She was so sweet, she really didn't deserve to go so young. I hope it wasn't too painful, but it just looked so horrible I can't imagine it was pleasant.

It looked like internal bleeding. It was dried in tufts to some of the fur on her hind legs and kind of staining the upper level of their cage. She just looked so scared, it was really upsetting to see her like that. I had really hoped to see her go to someone on here, so I could see how she was doing in her new home and know she had gone somewhere nice. I've never heard of anything like that happening to rats before, but I'm no expert on illnesses for them. It just looked awful.

I'm sorry about your gerbils, Interceptor! For now I'm just making the most of the girls and boys I have left. Sad
Babs

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:56 am

I'm sure it wasn't nice, but it would have been very quick, which is something. It is supposedly quite an easy way to go. Sad

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve on Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:46 pm

So sorry to hear about Darcy, the photos of her were lovely, was following the thread and then to find that she had died, it was quite a shock. Thinking of you, Steve

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum