tailess rats?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

tailess rats?

Post by siofradh on Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:08 am

I was in my local petstore buying some new chew blocks for the girls, and I noticed they had in tailess rats, and I'd love to know what everybody thinks about them. Do you think of them as a different variety, or do you find it cruel, seeing as rats need their tails for balance. I was pretty curious to find out a little bit about them, and I was told that they're 'lab bred' which doesn't sound too good so at the moment i'm thinking CRUEL. Lips Sealed also, is it safe for them to be climbing up and down cages when they don't have great balance?
Dying to hear everybody's thoughts on this Tongue
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Re: tailess rats?

Post by smokierat on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:17 am

I personally don't agree with breeding tailless rats at all,its such an integral(and beautiful I think) part of them as an animal.from what I know there's quite a few health issues that can crop up related to breeding tail less rats,mainly deformaties of the bowel,and spine etc.and I would think that it would also interfere with their temperature control,as their tail is very important in regulation of body temperature.I've heard that the biggest reason for doing this is that people want rats but are 'creeped out'by the tail-that makes my blood boil a little bit,if you don't want rats or any other animal in their natural state then its is not the next natural step to interfere with that,just don't get them!the idea of essentially changing the nature of an animal for cosmetic reasons,like docking tails,cropping ears in dogs etc makes me queasy...But that's just my opinion Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:26 am

I agree 100% with smokierat.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:33 am

I didn't even know there was such a thing, it sounds very weird Shocked I think what Grace said sounds right though, if it causes health problems then yeah, definitely cruel. I agree that you either want an animal or you don't!

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:39 pm

It does cause numerous problems. There's a very good reason why they are a 'banned variety' and cannot be shown in the NFRS (or any of the other UK rat clubs as far as I'm aware).

Frequently the taillessness doesn't actually go the full way, and the rat can just have a small bit missing - or it can go the other way and have way too much missing, which means part of the spine missing. As far as I was aware, they are just about impossible to breed true anyway... so I don't know about these. There's a part of me is guessing these might actually have had their tails docked instead of being bred this way. Having said that, I guess it's possible that labs have managed to breed them true - but if they have, I'd not heard about it.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:35 pm

My rats need their tails for balance. I see them using their tails a lot. A rat needs its tail. The long tail is what characterises them as rats.
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:31 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone, I might even go in today and have a word with them and ask if they were docked or if they're just bred that way. I'd say the main reason they're bred that way is because alot of people are 'freaked out' by rats' tails but wouldn't mind one without. I always get really annoyed and defensive when I have friends over and they tell me they don't like their tails. How could you not like an animal because of it's tail?! Evil
I feel so sorry for the ones in the petstore though Cry Poor little babies Sad They're enormous aswell, the size of a BIG male rat even though they're females and a only few months old.
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:56 pm

Poor things ):
Update us if you do go back to the shop, i'm interested to hear more.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh on Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:30 am

went in today, but the manager wasn't there, and she knows alot more about rats, so didn't ask much. 'pet rats' (which are probably hoodies) and 'blue rats' ( which are russian silvers) are 15 euro, but the tailess ones are 45 euro! I thought this was insane because you're paying for a rat with a genetic mutation. Ugh I'm so angry about this!! Evil
The poor little things will probably end up going to a home where noone knows anything about them, so am really tempted to take them, but won't because i already got my two russian silvers in there and don't want to ever buy from there again as when i went in before christmas to ask about housing for rats, (this was before i got them) she was trying to tell me to get one with a wired bottom because rats will chew through plastic. plus it was a hamster cage aswell. Angry
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:18 am

Would be *very* interested to know how they ended up getting Russian Silvers anyway... it's a pretty difficult variety to breed with so many recessives... could be that they are just very poor pale British Blues. I'd have to see them in the flesh to be sure.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh on Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:20 am

could be they're just pale british blues... will post a photo of my avatar and a few other ones. haven't managed to get any good ones really.. i'm probably the world's worst photographer Embarrassed

here's the link to a video of one of them eating a nuggat, with my baby sister chatting in the background Laugh think she has the hiccups aswell Tongue http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif4
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh on Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:23 am

siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh on Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:24 am

okay so it looks like i'll never get the hang of upaloding photos, so here's some links

http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif

siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:21 am

I'm not overly clued up on varieties, but I don't think they look like russian silvers. i'm sure zoundz will confirm.
The poor wee ratties at the pet shop. I understand your desire to go back and I know i'd be really tempted too. My only fear is that if you buy them it will only encourage them to get more into stock and then it will be the same situation all over again.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh on Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:36 am

I'm curious to know - I've just been calling them russian silvers, even though I just guessed Laugh
Yeah I'm just worried that someone will buy them that hasn't got a clue about the tailess ones and how they are prone to problems because of . Meh Definetly don't want to encourage them to sell them or any type of rats as already have bought from there.. Probably already mentioned this though Tongue
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Lew on Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:19 am

They look like pale British blues to me, or possibly lilac or lavender.

Technical Administrator
Technical Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:26 am

They definitely look silver to me. I'd be very interested to meet them in the fur.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh on Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:49 am

If i ever visit your rattery I'll have to bring them then Smile And I'll definetly be attending any Dublin meet-ups or shows with my little ladies!!
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by EssDubya on Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:49 am

I had a cuddle with these girls today. They are very sweet but just look like big hamsters because they've no tails! They do have little stumpy tails, but they're smaller than a hamster's and the tail seems to be slightly retracted into their body. The member of staff I was talking to didn't know their age, sex or care needs :-( The two naked rats are still there aswell and one of them had porphyra around his eyes. So sad to see two rats in a tiny glass box with nothing but some hay and a narrow cardboard tube to keep them entertained.

EssDubya

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh on Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:28 am

I got so annoyed when I saw they ordered a chinchilla and kicked the naked rats into the glass box. Some of the staff there are idiots. When I bought my girls from there, a girl was telling me that they might be boys and she had to double check, and then when I was having a look at the hairless boys, she was telling me how obvious it is to sex them Confused It really does take everything in you to walk past them and not buy them Sad I feel like it's my fault that they got them in, because i never noticed rats in there ATALL before until i saw my girls and i got them so quickly after they had them in first, that they were probably encouraged to get some 'exotic' varieties..
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:36 am

Sad ):
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:51 am

I wouldn't blame yourself, siofradh. I think the breeder has some unusual animals and they've either decided to gamble on them selling or there's rather a market for it around your area. If they were ordinary rats it'd be different.

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh on Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:54 am

thanks katherine, the only the is, the petstore ordered both the tailess rats and the naked rats over from england, and they did it probably within days of me purchasing my rats because they came in about two weeks after i bought mine and it takes around that time for them to come over from the UK.. Sad i have to keep reminding myself how stupid it is for me to even consider taking them home because they'll only get new ones in again and i'll just end up a rat hoarder! Embarrassed
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:59 am

They probably got your silvers from the UK too - this eases my mind a very small amount. I expect they're from Simon's Rodents.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh on Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:00 am

yeah i'd say so, they said it's because alot of the irish rats are getting some sort of disease... i think it's something to do with their ears maybe? perhaps you know what i'm talking about zoundz Smile
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum