mild aggression or just too much energy..?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

mild aggression or just too much energy..?

Post by redrach on Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:32 am

So my little girl Branflake is a bit odd to be honest. My other girls are pingy and bouncy and have good energy levels, but they're also pretty laid back with regards to each other. Until I got Branflake i'd never seen any humping-for-dominance or my girls really fighting. The past few days i've noticed she's been getting steadily worse. Tonight she chased Schuster (who I think is alpha, it's hard to tell because they never really fight and all seem pretty content with their hierarchy) for a good twenty minutes, humping her,pinning her and biting her (not biting hard, just nips). Poor Schuster doesn't really fight back much and just squeals a lot and tries to get away from her. Bran then proceeded to take turns chasing the other two girls. I don't think Bran is doing much harm, no one seems to have any wounds or anything, but I do think she irritates/frustrates them. She's about 4-5 months and she has A LOT of energy. She seems to run on her wheel almost constantly, literally we can hear her running on it most of the night and anytime I seem to go in she's on it. I've tried to put more toys in the cage to keep her stimulated but nothing so far has seemed to help.
Does anyone have any ideas on why she's SO hyper and constantly trying to assert her dominance? And anything I can do to calm her down a little, for the sake of the others?
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Re: mild aggression or just too much energy..?

Post by Zoundz on Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:20 am

It could be her age. My hunch is that she'll 'grow out of it' in a few weeks or a month or so. Sounds pretty normal - not all rats are like it obviously, but a lot of girls can go through similar.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Francois on Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:53 pm

My girl Bubbles used to drive her cage buddy Shiva totally nuts! Bubbles is a bout 4 weeks younger and when we got her, Bubbles didn't leave Shiva alone. Albeit that Shiva does get fed up with it ever so often and outs her in her place Big Grin

I guess she will mellow down, just as Bubbles did.

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:24 am

Teenage hormones Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:59 pm

I've been wondering the same about my Edith. I don't remember much about the pair I had when I was younger, and Gideon was on his own so I'm not used to seeing how they interact together and stuff. Edith seems to be a big attention seeker, and any time we're near the cage trying to get them used to us she seems to want us all to herself. If Sybil tries to come up, a lot of the time she'll get in Sybils face/pester her so she retreats. Sybil isn't well, so I don't think she can be bothered fighting back much. Sometimes even if Sybil doesn't come to us, Edith will run to her and jump on her and try and pin her, then nibble all over her. A lot of the time Sybil does end up winning because she's got a size advantage.. though thats only if she can be bothered.

Like you've said, I don't see her actually hurting her. And it doesn't stop them snuggling up together. I dunno if it's just an attention thing or a dominence thing. Though Edith is VERY hyperactive. I mean.. She practically bounces off the walls of the cage. I'm trying to find more boredom breakers, but our local Pets At Home isn't much good for them. And it's like the only petshop I know of.
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:03 am

Have a look at www.theratwarehouse.com - loads of stuff on there! Grin and www.dapper.com.au will give loads of ideas as well, but I'm guessing it's just teenage stuff Smile

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:05 am

Thanks!
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK on Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:15 am

Sounds like maybe she's trying to attain alpha position. Blanche and Stella were equally matched so were always humping at each other and fighting. But Dorothy is much smaller then Blanche and its pretty clear who's boss. She might fancy being alpha.
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:46 am

Yeah, I think Edith has had a confident boost since we've got them so she thinks she should be boss now or something.
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum