set-up of cage

View previous topic View next topic Go down

set-up of cage

Post by siofradh on Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:11 am

Hi all,
I just thought I'd post a picture of my cage and ask what you all think. Sometimes I worry they don't have enough to do, because they rarely use their hammocks, or wheel and don't chew their chew block. I'm always looking for new ideas to add homemade stuff in aswell. Like boxes and tunnels etc, but any other ideas you guys have had would be greatly appreciated Smile
I'd also LOVE LOVE LOVE to see pics of everyone elses cages Big Grin I've seen a few pics here and there, but would love to see more Smile
So here's me trying to post a picture. It most likely won't work as I'm pretty useless with this kind of thing Embarrassed

siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Re: set-up of cage

Post by katherine on Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:26 am

Looks pretty good to me! Grin One thing you could do is put in a digging box, as it doesn't look like they have m,uch digging opportunity in the cage. I wouldn't worry too much about them not using the wheel, I think many ratties don't take to them.
I've just re-arranged bertie and Maddi's cage and I'm quite proud of it so I'll see about getting some pics when I get home.

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh on Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:29 am

Thanks Katherine Smile Photos of your cage would be lovely Grin Their digging box is actually the quality street tin on the bottom level with shredded paper. They take almost every bit of it and bring it into their cardboard box bed within minutes of me putting it in Laugh
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:07 am

Looks fab to me! Grin

Will try and do shots of some of our setups at some point, not done any in years!

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:58 am

Haha oh right, I didn't even see that Laugh Love the tube btw

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh on Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:03 am

would love to see your shed zoundz. hopefully one day i'll see it in person!
it's pretty well hidden in there alright Big Grin Which tube is that? There's three in there Tongue
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:13 am

The big card one Tongue Here's Bertie and Maddi's latest set up Smile

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh on Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:14 am

Wow, I like your cage! Where did you get it? Haven't seen any around like it Shocked
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:28 pm

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Catz on Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:32 am

Oooh your cages look fab! I love looking at other people's set ups, you get so many good idea's.
I only have a few old pic's of my SRS but I thought I'd share one Smile
I must take a few pic's of their other set ups. I change things around a lot.

Catz
Mentor
Mentor

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh on Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:10 am

I love all the hammocks you all have Love I'm looking forward to ordering some online soon Smile I thought it was one of the best parts of getting rats, being able to setup the cage how you want it, and over time add little bits and bobs in and watching them explore it.
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:48 am

Wow. Those cages look awesome! They put mine to shame. I've made a few things for mine and I've ordered a Sputnik and two hammocks. It looks so bare at the moment. Planning to make more things myself also.

Not sure what to do about my wire levels though. I've read the wire should be covered, but again conflicting info on what its best to cover them with. I put some fleece on one of them but Sybil seems to not like change and moved it so she could just lay on the bare wire. Thinking of putting towels over them and tucking them under the levels so they cant be easily moved. And then they'll also be easily washed cos I read if you use plastic, urine pools can cause problems.
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:57 am

Wire levels aren't a problem, so I wouldn't worry about that, and neither are plastic Smile All our cages have either wire or plastic. Sometimes we put a fleece cover as the rats enjoy it, but not for reasons of their safety, as the levels are safe enough Smile

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:02 am

People had told me it was bad for their feet and could cause bumblefoot. Though I guess it was never a problem for Gideon, even when he was older. Thanks. Smile
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:03 am

It doesn't cause bumblefoot - that's a largely genetic thing, and also because of extreme obesity. IT can make bumblefoot worse, both wire and plastic for different reasons. But unless you have a rat with bumblefoot, don't panic Smile

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:06 am

Thanks! I'm glad I joined this forum, it's giving me a lot of reassurance and advice. I just want my little girls to be as healthy and happy as possible. I feel like a new mum! Lol.
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:16 am

Edith and Sybil's home so far. (Work in progress! Tongue)

I replaced the dusty litter in the bottom with news paper and a towel. I've given them a digging box, but I'm pretty sure they're gonna tip the carefresh out of it on to the base bottom so I don't feel bad about it being such an uninteresting surface. Edith's also already attempted exploring under the towel anyways. Lol.

Their sputnik also arrived, still waiting on two hammocks. Also wanting to get more ropes and ladders and things. My cage looks so bare compared to everyone elses. xD
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:11 am

It looks fine! Don't worry too much about it - they have stuff to do which is what really matters! Grin

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:21 am

Yeah, they kinda use the whole cage as a climbing frame anyways. Lol.

Also, doesn't look as nice and tidy as this anymore
They've pulled the towel on the top level half way down to the middle level now.

Seems they really prefer laying on the bars.
I dunno, I'm thinking maybe it may be a bit cooler on them if they get a bit warm.
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:56 pm

Wow it looks fantastic! Grin Your roan looks a lot like my boy Ishmael Grin

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:26 am

The gray and white one?
That's Sybil, my sicky little lady. <3
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:34 am

Yes Love

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:37 am

She's such a sweet heart. Thinking I should of called the other Luci now, short for Lucifer. She's a little devil. Lol.
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum