The sniffles have gone!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The sniffles have gone!

Post by GillianK on Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:43 am

I don't want to speak too soon, but Blanche no longer sneezes or is wheezy. After 2 long months of it, she has been recovered these past 2 weeks. I had her on antibiotics for a short while in mid January, baytril, and then again in early February. Then I decided not to administer any more antibiotics because she hadn't been improving and administering them was distressing her, and that seemed to do the trick. She is active, no longer wheezes, shes put the weight back on she had lost!

Just a thought for those whose rats have the sniffles and have been on antibiotics for a while without improvement. Maybe its a good idea to try letting them be and they will come round on their own?
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Re: The sniffles have gone!

Post by Zoundz on Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:16 am

I have always said that unless an animal is actually *ill* - as in under the weather, hunched posture, fluffed up coat, lethargy etc etc - I don't give medicine. I almost never give meds for simple noise.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK on Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:53 am

Might have spoken too soon as Blanche sneezing again. Question is, should I hold off and see how she is, or try with baytril again ...
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:57 am

I'd hold off.
A few of my rats have sneezes and sniffles from time to time.
One old boy Albie is wheezy and sneezy most of the time, i'm fairly it's just scaring on his lungs. Meds only ever stressed him and never seemed to have any effect on the noise.
As Laura said, i'd only give meds if they seem unwell ie. not like their usual self, lots of porph, hunched, not cleaning, etc etc.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK on Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:39 am

Yes, I think that's wise, because she does otherwise seem fine. I'll hold off and keep an eye on her. Theres nothing wrong with her appetite as she nabbed a custard cream off me earlier today and scoffed the lot!
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:24 pm

I wouldn't medicate just for sneezing personally. Smile

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk