Bruiser's Aggression

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bruiser's Aggression

Post by siofradh on Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:31 am

About ten minutes ago, I went in to check on the boys, when I noticed quite alot of blood on Ludo's (the cream one) back. I'm not going to be over dramatic and say he was lying in a pool of his own blood, but there was considerably more than a little spot. He seems ok, but I'm 99.9% sure it was Bruiser who did it to him. He really seems to hate Ludo. Sad today when they were free-ranging, he went for him, didn't get a chance to do any damage, because he just ran up my sleeve straight away. And then he did it again in the cage but I just put a hairbrush between them, and grabbed Ludo out. I placed him back in when they were both calm, and then 20 minutes later, this is what happened. He's quite an old fello, so neutering isn't an option if things don't improve, so I don't know what I'm going to do.. Meh For now, I have them separated, but I hate the thought of Bruiser on his own... Sad Sad He doesn't have too much of a problem with Bosco the black rat, so if things don't start to improve, should I put him in with Bosco in a separate cage, and get Ludo a new friend? Arghh I really didn't expect this since they've been together for a few weeks and there was no trouble Confused Confused
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Re: Bruiser's Aggression

Post by Zoundz on Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:07 am

They're in a new environment, so things can be turbulent, I would leave them together, I suspect things will settle in their own time. Get good gloves and if Bruiser starts acting up, take him out and 'dump' him in a carrier for 10 mins with no interaction at all - do it everytime, they do quickly get the message this way.

Do be careful - a little disclaimer here, it's rare for rats to kill each other fighting, but it *does* happen, so do be careful, and if in doubt and your confidence is not great, it may be best to separate. Just so that if you do keep them together and anything happens, it's not my fault! Wink I would personally keep them together as I expect it would sort itself.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh on Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:18 am

okay i was taking Ludo out when it kicks off, which probably made it worse. So how much blood is too much, and a vet appt is needed?
I think what's knocking my confidence is the squeals that come out of Ludo. He's a right little drama queen Embarrassed I'll just keep calm if it happens again.. Big Grin
Haha don't worry, I won't blame you if anything happens Wink Thanks Laura <3
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:52 am

Don't be too worried about flesh wounds, even if there's a fair bit of blood - they can often look worse than they are and not need stitches etc. Having said that, if you're worried, do see a vet.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh on Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:40 am

Yep that's what I was thinking, it always looks far worse than it is. It's all scabbed up now, and so far no trouble from Bruiser today. I can be a bit of a drama queen, I can't tell you how many times I've been in the vets with animals, convinced they're dying, and it's 'ah yes, some anti-biotics will sort that out!' Laugh Laugh
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by carol on Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:46 am

wen they wer with me for 2 weeks the only bit of bulling that happend was the white one bulling the old ratty an it was only 1 time nothen after that an it was when i had the girls near them so mabe it the smell of ur girls that they fightin over id move them away from females an see wat happens

carol

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:19 pm

carol, were you able to handle the white and grey one? anytime i go to pick him up he squeals like crazy! when i have to put him in the 'naughty cage' when he's bullying Ludo, i have to grab him with a towel, because he squiggles lose. the only time he'll ever come over to me is when i have food Laugh i had to repeat putting him into the spare cage about six times before i finally gave up and made him sleep in there, it was so late and i was tired Meh Sad
you're right, it might just be him showing off infront of the girls, but i don't really have any other options, because i can't put them anywhere else besides my room Meh
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by carol on Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:29 pm

ya i picked him up a couple of times, but i dident handle them for 3 or 4 days till the got 2 no me talkin to an feedin them an he let u handle him the day i was there,, mabe just let him settle in 4 a few days an try again but keep feedin by hand so he nos ur there

carol

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum