Introducing new rats to existing pet - advice please

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Introducing new rats to existing pet - advice please

Post by kirm on Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:36 pm

Well we finally got two new boys and they are just adorable. They are ALOT smaller and younger than Merry and we are afraid that they might get hurt if he doesn't like them. We tried putting them up to the cage for Merry to sniff them but he tried to bit one so we are afraid to put them straight in and as we don't have any experience of introducing these boys we'd love to hear your advice so that everyone can be buddies and get along. thanks.

kirm

Back to top Go down

Re: Introducing new rats to existing pet - advice please

Post by siofradh on Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:17 am

What i did when I introduced my Russian Silvers to my hoodie is I left their cages beside eachother for the first few nights so they could get used to eachothers' scents. I made sure to not place them too close together, incase one of their tails went out of the cage and got a bite. Then I took them all into my sisters' bedroom, 'neutral territory' to introduce them face to face. I brought each of their beds in incase they felt 'threatened' or 'unsafe' around the other rat. Then after about four days of them sniffing around eachother, i put the new rat, Whiskey my hooded girl in with them for about an hour to play in their cage under supervision of course Smile I did this a few times a day for about two days, then I felt comfortable enough to move her in with Bee and Olive permanently.

There is probably a far better approach to this, but I just thought I'd share my experience with you and see what you think Wink Mine are girls obviously, and where all under four months at the time, it might be different with older boys.. Confused I'm sure someone more experienced will let you know Big Grin

Good luck! Smile Smile
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:22 am

How old are they? I would give them until about 8 weeks at least, so they can defend themselves a bit better- even 10 weeks.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by kirm on Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:20 am

Thanks for your input, its much appreciated. I'm not sure to be honest but they are tiny compared to Merry so I would guess a few weeks. I hate the thought of them fighting and am afraid that the babies will get hurt so I really need to do this properly to give them the best chance... very nervous about it though.

Will go take some photos and put them up here. Back in a mo!

kirm

Back to top Go down

Post by kirm on Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:37 am

Well, heres big fatty Merry looking into the babies cage this evening...

Heres baby number 1 (the smaller of the two) - not named yet

And finally baby number 2, again, not named yet

kirm

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:16 am

First one has still got baby fur... Hmm... are you sure or not whether they are brothers? I would give them a good few weeks yet, say another 4 weeks and see how they look then. Mean time, feed them plenty of protein.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by kirm on Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:44 am

Thanks Laura. No they are not brothers, they are two different litters. The second one is hairless. I have the two cages fairly close together but not too close.

kirm

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh on Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:15 am

Where did you get them kirm? I'm having a bit of trouble with one of my boys, and if things don't improve i think i'll have to separate them and get another them another friend. I'm not going to go looking yet though until I'm sure I can't sort the problem out.
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by kirm on Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:30 am

Evan's uncle got them as a confirmation present from a lovely man in Mulhuddart. Let me know if you want the details. Hope your boys work it out though.

kirm

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:26 am

Well - the top one is not old enough to be homed out yet, and if he is old enough, he's not up to age if that makes sense, he still has his baby fur - looks about 4 weeks... the second one being hairless of course there's a lot of controversy as to whether they should be bred. Once again, I warn people to be careful of the people they get their rats from - are they breeders or are they just sticking two rats together because they can, without any thought Wink

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by kirm on Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:16 pm

Laura should they be able to drink from a water bottle? They don't seem to go near it but I have a little dish of water in the cage too that they seem to use. Can you tell me the best protein foods for them at this age? I've been giving them lots of small pieces of food, seeds, grains, fruit but I really want to be sure that they are getting everything that they need.

kirm

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:53 pm

(I'm not Laura) but try roast chicken wings, scrambled egg and porridge or bird weaning food made up with lactol to make them strong, and lots of green veg like kale Wink Maybe a stupid question but can the reach the water bottle. I'd say they'll get the hang of it when they see the others doing it in the big cage. Otherwise try showing them - tap the spout to get some on your finger and hold it to their mouths, especially if it has yummy vitamins in it - they're clever little things so they should get it.

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by kirm on Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:14 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Katherine. Yes, they can reach the bottle but as you say, maybe they don't know how to use it. I'll show them a few times. They are so funny to watch - they LOVE to climb all over the cage, much more than Merry does, they remind me of bats LOL!! I'll make them some porridge and give it to them when they wake.

kirm

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:51 am

They look really tiny. I agree with Laura, they look about 4 weeks, so they need about 4 weeks before they should be moving in with any big boys. In terms of protein: kitten food, scrambled eggs, tinned fish. You could also get them a thing called lactol (since they're probably not long weaned). Hairless often have health problems, and as Laura said, there's controversy over their breeding. I'd be careful of where you're getting your ratties as it doesn't sound like they came from a reputable breeder.
On a side note, they look very cute and I hope they grow up to be happy, healthy and strong. (:
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum