Making rats exercise?!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Making rats exercise?!

Post by Mel on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:24 pm

I need a way to make Luna exercise. She eats and sleeps and is noticeably tubbier than the others... I don't think it's to do with the type of food I give them as Scarlet and Ruby especially are perfectly proportioned for their size. Those two do loads of exercise and are always running around, making nests, rearranging, grooming...while Luna sleeps. A lot. In all sorts of hilarious positions, and eats... then sleeps some more.

I'm especially worried as I know Laura mentioned to me recently that spaying can be more risky in an overweight rat, and due to Luna's past health problems this may need to be an option for her at some point (hopefully not though).

She doesn't even know what the wheel is for, I've tried that. My cage layout is purposely not easy, but she's agile enough when she needs to be, she just makes the trip to the top of the cage only when it's absolutely necessary (usually when she needs peace to SLEEP some more on her own, so she even has a nap before making the journey back down again!)

She bores easily of free range time, but maybe I'm just doing the same old thing too often. Any ideas would be very welcome!

She's almost 15 months old.

Mel

Back to top Go down

Re: Making rats exercise?!

Post by Catz on Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:24 pm

Have you tried free ranging on the stairs? I scatter treats on the steps so the tubby rats have to move up and down to eat.. Smile
Catz
Mentor
Mentor

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:04 pm

I would take her out when you put food in the cage (either morning or evening - evening is best to feed really) - take her out while the others get a good share, and make her go up and down the stairs. Be vigilant, it can take a while to show effects! Smile

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel on Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:11 am

If only I had stairs! Will try taking her out while the others eat.

Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:23 am

Just get a feather wand and get her to do ten minutes every day chasing it around the sofa, or even the floor, while the others are eating! Grin

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel on Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:35 am

Ooo I haven't made one of those in ages, I'll do that. Thanks Grin

Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:25 am

Taking her out so the others get the first crack of the food is what I try,and then its just finding something she's interested in Smile if she gets bored after a few mins out,maybe try multiple short trips out free ranging,its more time consuming but should help with time,its my plan for my lot any way Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum