Crusty Ear

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Crusty Ear

Post by claireharvey on Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:40 am

Ive just noticed that my new 7 week old baby has a crusty ear, the ear does not seem inflamed but the area seems a lilttle scabby and crusty, has anyone any ideas of what this could be.

Ps. his litter mate who i also have his ear seems to be similar but just not as bad.

thanks
Claire

claireharvey

Back to top Go down

Re: Crusty Ear

Post by Zoundz on Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:07 am

Sarcoptic Mange Mites would be my guess. Treatment is Ivermectin or Selamectin (puppy Stronghold)

Smile

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:04 am

Or maybe the mistake I made a while back - I sent Laura a panicked email thinking Luna had Sarcoptic Mange Mites, but it turned out to be other rat's porphyrin. Luna just wasn't cleaning her ears well enough! A little wipe with a damp cloth and her ears were as good as new again Laugh

Mel

Back to top Go down

thanks

Post by claireharvey on Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:44 am

Thanks for the reply's, its def not porphyrin as one of my adults had this round his eye, i took the wee one to the vets and they thought also that it could be mange mites so they have now been treated with puppy stronghold, has anyone any idea of how long it should take for the ear to clear up now, vet says its also advisable to treat them again in 2 weeks with the stronghold??

Claire Big Grin

claireharvey

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:12 am

Would not treat again with Stronghold. Ivermectin needs 2 or 3 treatments, Selamectin (Stronghold) only needs the one in nearly all cases. Should take about a week to two weeks to clear Smile

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: