Protein

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Protein

Post by redrach on Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:03 am

So, for anyone who knows how I feed my rats, I'm pretty obsessive about it. I weigh all of their food and try so hard to make sure they get a constant variety and try new things when possible and get everything they need.

The one thing I'm always worried about is protein for fear of kidney problems, especially in bucks.

I think I'm probably too cautious, only feeding eggs/chicken/fish as a treat every other week or so. They obviously get other sorts of protein via their complete mix and veg (especially spinach), but I'm concerned they should maybe get more protein.

I've read the section in the scuttling gourmet which suggests 10-14% of their diet should be protein. For my lot this would equal 1-2g a day each, which is obviously not easily or sensibly achieved. So I've gotten them tins of applaws (since Rachel put me onto it) and I'm not sure how much or how often they should get it.

Am I right in thinking the boys should get less?

According to the scuttling gourmet it should work out 3-6g every 3 days or 4-8g every 4 days? Does that sound sensible? I'm thinking the lower end for the boys (3 or 4g) and towards the higher end for the girls. I'll try not to be too obsessive and measure it out, I'm just trying to figure out roughly what they need.

How much and how often do you tend to give protein rich foods such as kitten food, chicken or eggs?

ps. I hope I don't sound like a complete obsessive freak Embarrassed Tongue
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Re: Protein

Post by katherine on Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:50 am

I only give wet/ fresh protein very rarely now all of mine are on the older end of the scale. I only really give it to Forz and Switch because I'm trying to keep weight on Forz. They have egg noodle or hills k/d dry in their dry mix so for the rest of them they just get that, unless I'm feeling generous with the scraps Wink

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:24 am

As Katherine said really Smile I tend to just give the Mr Johnson's on its own a couple of times a week, especially to older bucks.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: