Facial abcess?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Facial abcess?

Post by katherine on Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:25 am

Hey, I think Forz has a facial abcess Confused His cheek is very swollen on one side and he won't let me touch his mouth. I did manage to check his teeth, which look fine so I'm not sure how he could have got one, as there is no obvious wound on him, but I don't see what else it could be Sad I will get him in to the vet's of course, but any advice?

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Re: Facial abcess?

Post by Zoundz on Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:10 am

Oh dear... :*(

These can be very nasty (and likely you'll not *see* the cause - as it's probably from a bit of food getting stuck in the cheek or gum at the back). Can you get a photo? Use flash to make it as clear as possible if you can. I think really antibiotics, if you want - although they have limited success. To be honest, there's not a lot you can do except look after it as best as possible and hope it goes away. I think at a rough guess I save about 30% of rats from tooth abscesses Sad it's not great.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:19 am

Oh dear Sad This may be the end for him then? I've got him booked into the vet for tomorrow morning.

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:32 am

We all have our fingers crossed he has a speedy recovery xx he's in such good hands Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:41 am

Human fingers and ratty toes crossed here for yas.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:35 am

Thanks guys, he's such a lovely lad, it's so sad to see him so sick Sad He doesn't deserve it.

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:48 am

That's how I felt about my Gideon. It's really sad how they get so ill when they're such great pets. Sad

Well wishes! <3
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:10 am

Don't give up on him yet Katherine, there's a chance for him. Work at it, palliative care, and hopefully he'll be strong enough to pull through. He's a very special lad indeed <3 and I really hope it works out. Let me know every step of his progress. Smile

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:50 pm

Saw the vet today who gave him synulox 1ml twice a day, as usual he wont take it willingly but I got his dose in him this morning. The vet couldn't get in his moth to see what caused it so he said to try the synulox (gave me a weeks cos that's all he had but I'll go back for more) I might switch to feeding him twice a day, and take Switch out for the morning feed. He's totally shattered from the double dose of infection.. after the vet looked at him he fell fast asleep on my shoulder Love poor love.

I might try the other vets next time because this one said if it doesn't clear up he'll have to put him under anaesthetic to look in his mouth and I'm not too impressed by that idea. What do you think Laura? Does it sound necessary?

Here's a pic of his little face anyway, I couldn't get a good one of his whole face but I'll try again later

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:54 am

Can't really see an abscess there - but that's the photo I'm sure.

I wouldn't anaesthetise to be honest, I'd be very worried about the risk if he's already sick.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:22 am

Yeah same, I really don't like the idea. I'll try and get a better pic later. Thanks Smile

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:28 am

Here's a better picture. It's on the right looking at him. Though it does look like it's going down a bit Meh here's hoping.

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Tue May 01, 2012 10:22 pm

I'm quite worried about Forz Meh his abcess seems to be going down a bit but he is very down in himself. He hates the medicine is tries harder each time not to swallow it Sad I haven't found anything yet that he'll take it in... I've tried honey, banana, malt paste and cold horlicks. Any thoughts? It's quite sickly sweet by itself and a bit fruity.

He seems to be quite off his food as well while Switch is scoffing it down.

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Wed May 02, 2012 12:34 am

Have you had a good look at his teeth? Are they at all misaligned/growing oddly?

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Wed May 02, 2012 1:49 am

I've been giving Sybil and Edith theirs in a tiny bit maple syrup. I tried putting on a cracker but they didn't finish it, so.. I've been cutting the top off a grape and hollowing the grape out a bit and drying off the inside then injecting the mixture into it and then putting the insides back in.

Obvs I wouldn't give them maple syrup any other time, it's just so they take their medicine and I read it works.
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Wed May 02, 2012 5:04 am

I have Laura, they're absolutely fine - which I guess is good but still leaves a big mystery Sad

SaraBloo, thanks, I'll try that tonight.

He's being awfully clingy, I had to take him downstairs with me which I never normally do because of the cat (who's not here right now btw Laugh ) but he just bites the bars of the cage when I put him back... even if I leave him for 15 mins and come back. He's happy when he's out just to sit on me and brux Confused

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Wed May 02, 2012 5:59 am

Hope you find something that works.
He looks like a lovely boy.
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Wed May 02, 2012 7:50 am

Sad it doesn't sound fab does it? I just hope to goodness he's OK - he and his brother are very special to a lot of us <3

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Wed May 02, 2012 8:16 am

Wish I could help or advise Sad whatever is up with him,I'm sure all those cuddles are helping Love he's in our thoughts Love

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Wed May 02, 2012 9:18 am

Thanks guys. He's still bar biting tonight but got over his medicine a lot quicker (didn't have any syrup in the end) probably because he spat as much of it as he swallowed all over me Roll Eyes and perked up for his dinner so here's hoping those good wishes are helping him. It means a lot to me you're all being so nice Love

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Thu May 03, 2012 2:16 am

How's he doing today? Love
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Thu May 03, 2012 9:40 am

Same really - I don't know if that's good or bad.

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum