Albie's eye.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Albie's eye.

Post by redrach on Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:36 am

I've already spoken to Laura and a few other people about this and been to the vet, but I figured I'd post here as a reference in case anyone experiences similar in the future.

Basically Albie's had a cataract on one eye for a good few months now, probably nearly a year. More recently it got a lot more white, but this is apparently normal and didn't worry me.

On Saturday morning when I checked him his eye was starting to go red (he's a pink-eye by the way). I wasn't sure if it was filling with blood or what, but the red is definitely a different colour to his normal eye. I posted on facebook looking advice as there was no sign of injury, pain or swelling. A breeder I know in the UK mentioned one rat of hers had a similar problem from what I had explained, and the eye filled with blood and had to be removed. Of course I panicked because Albie would not survive surgery. So I rang the vet, unfortunately it's only emergency vets on Saturdays but Michael was there (he's not my usual exotics vet, but he PTS Monk and has seen Albie before, so I do trust him). He spoke to me on the phone and reiterated what the breeder said about blood. So he left out drops for us (maxitrol) and told me to keep an eye out for swelling or discomfort.

Albie's now been getting the drops over 24 hours (1 drop, 3 times a day) and seems to be improving. The eye hasn't swollen at all as far as I can tell. It also seems to be less red, as if the blood is draining? and the cataract is visible again. By last night the whole eye was a dark red, so it is definitely an improvement. Other than that he seems happy enough. He's a little off his food today (but Chandler also is, I think it's prob because I gave them senior aid and they often eat all the fresh food before it). He's also fidgety when I pick him up but I think it's purely because he's getting the drops and he's not too impressed with them.

I'll try and get pics later, but the ones I took on Saturday morning didn't really show up what was happening, so I don't know if ones now will either.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Re: Albie's eye.

Post by katherine on Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:04 am

Oh dear Sad that's not something I've heard of before at all so can't help I'm afraid but I will keep my fingers crossed. Glad he seems to be improving.

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:24 am

Hope he keeps improving Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:29 am

Awh, poor little ratty. Sad
They've got so much against them.
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:13 am

Thanks for posting this here, it's useful for anyone else who might have troubles. I've not really had eye problems so far (apart from the odd occasional thing), so I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help to you when you asked!

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:52 am

No problem Laura, we all learn from each other. And I don't expect you to know everything, no one can! But you've helped me so much with everything else that unfortunately for you I'll keep asking regardless Wink

I've just given him his final drops for today. His eye is looking even better again, not amazing, but it is getting there. Again, they (him and Chandler) seem off their food. They normally have 2-4 bowls full/overflowing a day (it's a tiny metal hamster bowl, and I want them to stay chubby). Today they've had a good whack of malt paste and some fresh veg but didn't touch their dry mix at all. Sad Hopefully it's nothing, they seem fine otherwise and they were just out eating a little bit of baby food.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Wed May 02, 2012 4:31 am

Just thought I'd update.
Albie's doing okay. He's definately more himself today, he actually tried to fight me off when I gave him his drops this afternoon Wink And nabbed a puppy treat and dragged himself off as fast as he could after Love

His eye is looking pretty odd. The blood is pretty much all gone, or at least a LOT less than it was. Now you can see the white of the cataract again, but also a lot of weird looking orangey stuff.. Shocked I kinda wonder is the white of the cataract stained from the blood.. Is that even possible?

Either way, he seems a good bit more himself and his eye doesn't look as filled with blood, so the drops must be doing something.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Wed May 02, 2012 7:49 am

Not sure, it could be staining. I wouldn't know from it probably, but a photo may at least be of interest. Smile

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Wed May 02, 2012 7:59 am

Glad the gorgeous man seems to be improving Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Wed May 02, 2012 8:23 am

Laura, he is too fidgety for photos atm. I don't know how to get videos here without youtube & i'm on my phone so i'll upload to fb & tag ya for now.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Wed May 02, 2012 9:18 am

Glad there's some improvement Smile Here's hoping it continues.

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Thu May 03, 2012 2:13 am

Guys Cry
Albie's really not good today. This morning when I fed them he just didn't look himself at all. He's really irritable and fidgety when I pick him up. It's as if he doesn't even know me or know where he is. He doesn't seem to have eaten all day and feel boney again. I went to uni thinking he'd not be here when I got home, but came home early and he's still here. He doesn't look too happy but, so it's maybe time I started to think about going to the vets for the last time.
I just noticed this afternoon that he has a little something in one of his ears too.. It's hard to describe, almost looks like a spot. It's not like a lump I don't think, but he won't let me take any pictures. Any ideas?
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Thu May 03, 2012 8:06 am

Speaking to you about it all now, but ((((hug))))

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Thu May 03, 2012 9:42 am

Oh Rache Sad I'm so sorry to hear this. *HUGS* Thinking of you and Albie.

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Thu May 03, 2012 9:49 am

sadly it's not looking good. ): i've spoken to laura and she thinks he's slipping in & out of a coma ):
i hope he goes peacefully himself, he's been out of it most of today and tonight, lying on my chest. if he's still here tomorrow but i think it might be vet time ): i'm absolutely gutted.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Thu May 03, 2012 9:57 am

Cry

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Thu May 03, 2012 10:08 am

Poor little man.
Hope he goes peacefully. <3
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Thu May 03, 2012 10:28 pm

You are both in our thoughts xx

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Fri May 04, 2012 2:01 am

Thankyou everyone for the support.
Albie's still the same. He's drank a little but eat nothing more than one lick of baby food today.

Sadly I think it's only fair to help him off to ratty heaven, so we have an appointment at the vets for 6.40. I was hoping he would go peacefully today at home but it hasn't happened yet. I just think it's unfair on him to drag it out for the sake of me keeping him another day or two, especially since I'm concerned he might be getting dehydrated and be absolutely starving Sad He's been such an amazing little boy and literally my best friend for the past two years, so I just hope he goes as peacefully at the vets as Monk did, if not before. He's spent the day lying on my chest, pretty much out of it. He did boggle and brux a while ago, so I just hope to god it was happiness and not pain or stress. It's really hard to say goodbye to him but I know this situation could be so much worse and i'm so glad for the time I've been able to spend with him, especially the past 2 days. I know it's for the best, and for that i'm a little happy in some ways. It sounds odd, but he's had such a hard life with a long list of medical problems, that i'm just so grateful we've had him so long and that he's going to go peacefully and with all of our love.

redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Fri May 04, 2012 2:40 am

Sorry to hear this. Sad I felt the same about Gideon, keeping him would of only been for my benefit and not his. Sometimes it's best to let them go. Hope you get through it okay and he goes peacefully as possible.

My vets put them in an oxygen chamber so they just go to sleep, no sticky needles in them or anything. Meant I couldn't be with him, but it was best for him. <3
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Fri May 04, 2012 3:15 am

Oh Rachel Sad its a hard decision but what we do when we love them.they just dont live long enough,I don't think enough time would ever be enough though,its all relative though he's had such a lovely long life in rattie terms Love how lovely for him that he got to spend his last few days so peacefully with his girl Love you can bet it meant the world to him,if he could tell you he'd tell you there's no other place in the world he'd rather be xx it sounds like that little brux was his way of telling you Love

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Fri May 04, 2012 9:55 am

I'm so very sorry. You're right to let him go if you think he's suffering, of course, but I know that doesn't make it any easier *hug* Nobody who's seen your posts about Albie and your care of him could doubt that you've been anything other than his best friend too. I'm sure he knows that, and I agree with Grace, that little brux was surely his way of saying thank you Love Thinking of you xx

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum