Question or Two

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Question or Two

Post by SaraBloo on Thu May 03, 2012 11:52 pm

You know me, I've had a LOT of questions so I figured I'd make a thread to ask a couple rather than highjack other threads. xD

So, firstly.. I got my ratties Daily Essential vitamins for their water. I put some in it last night. Is there a chance they won't drink the water if it's got it in it? I'm yet to see/hear them drink.

Also, my girls LOVE yoghurt and I read it's good to give them pro biotic yoghurt when they've had antibiotics because the antibiotic kills something in their cut, and the yoghurt helps fix that. Just wondering how much yoghurt is too much yoghurt?

(That's my two questions for now, but knowing me I'll probably have more. Laugh )
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Re: Question or Two

Post by smokierat on Fri May 04, 2012 12:57 am

Its usually recommended to put another bottle with plain water on the cage as well as the one with the vitamins,just in case they don't want it but its good practice anyway,in case the one water bottle falls off someday.theyl probably grow to like it,its new at the moment for them Smile I give mine yogurt too,they particularly LOVE glenisk Grin I give it with the meds as they seem to scoff it,but apparently its good to give a small bit a few hours before or after the meds too.when I'm giving the meds,I use the smallest amount needed to encourage them,only because I can be sure theyl take all their meds which is very important.I like them to finish it front of me Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Fri May 04, 2012 12:58 am

I also find yogurt handy in encouraging the few if mine who aren't too keen on veggies,I mix up a bit with broccoli or whatever and they seem to prefer it Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Fri May 04, 2012 1:32 am

Aha, good idea about the water bottle. I've put a little mouse water bottle on the cage so they have an alternative. Though they ignored it so maybe they have been drinking the other stuff.

I've been giving mine about 3 or 4 teaspoon fulls of spelga yoghurt between them the last couple of days.
And they lick the ramekin clean. Lol. Just I'm a little worried if I give them too much it will upset their tummies so I just wanna make sure I'm not giving them too much.
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Fri May 04, 2012 10:01 am

They usually love the vitamin water - I've actually not had a rat that didn't take to it straight away even Bertie and we think he was living off his own poop for the first week or 2 he was so paranoid about food Laugh

As for the yogurt thing. I figure if it does upset their tummies, you know that's too much so to give less next time. Trial and error is the only way sometimes and it's not that big a thing to miscalculate Smile

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Sat May 05, 2012 1:01 am

I think they do like it. Maybe just took them a little while to get used to it. Lol.

Also yeah, I spose I shouldn't worry too much. Not like an upset tummy should do any long term damage so long as it's not prolonged.

Also, another question.. which isn't about feeding but I figured I should just ask here instead of making another thread. Lol.

As I mentioned in my introduction thread my rat Sybil had some resp problems, which have almost completely cleared up now. Only now and then she'll make a little odd noise but its usually if she's had a fright or a scuffle with Edith. However she's still got some red stuff around her nose now and then. I'm guessing it's Porphyrin. Is this an indication she's still unwell or is it okay if she's not showing any other symptoms?

I'm wondering if her infection was nasal could it maybe be stuff she's sneezing up/getting rid off?
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Sat May 05, 2012 5:38 am

It is porphyrin Smile I wouldn't worry about it unless there are other signs of sickness, which it doesn't sound like there are. Unless she seems huddled up, inactive, off her food, very sneezy or rattly I really wouldn't give it a second thought. All rats produce it when they sleep, like the sleep in our eyes, and some are more fastidious about cleaning when they wake up than others, so it might be that too.

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum