Wanting A New Cage

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wanting A New Cage

Post by SaraBloo on Sat May 05, 2012 9:56 am

I currently have a Critter 3, which was fine for Gideon since he didn't really like being touched etc so access wasn't much of an issue with him.

However with my new girls I'm finding it hard to get access to them when they're running about the three levels as the only door I can reach is the middle level door (which we actually made ourselves) as I'm in a wheelchair. I think it's slowing down the hand taming process slightly because it's hard catching them etc.

So I'm thinking of purchasing a new cage that has better access, such as the Liberta Explorer or the Savic Royal Suite. Anybody got any experience with these cages or ideas of other cages with good access, keeping in mind I'm in a wheelchair.

Only thing with the two cages I mentioned above, with it split into two levels and them being on a stand I'm worried one level will be too low and the other too high. Though my dad thinks it should be easy enough to either modify the stand or make something else at a better height for the cage to sit on.

Anyways, any ideas?
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Re: Wanting A New Cage

Post by Dangerousbeans on Sat May 05, 2012 10:25 am

The explorer would be ideal for you, it has big doors so the whole level is accessible.
It sits onto the stand, but I can't see any reason why a timber made one, specifically made to the height you require wouldn't work.
The cage is big enough that even one half would do for two rats.
I found the one we got on donedeal, keep an eye on any of the ads websites, adverts.ie, gumtree etc.

The other alternative is to make one, if your dad is willing?
I was looking at buying some timber for a frame and you can buy the wire mesh panels in different sizes. If he is anyway handy it wouldn't be a big job.
Also he could make double opening doors just like the explorer.

Dangerousbeans

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Sun May 06, 2012 5:24 am

My dad would probs prefer I just buy one. Smile Though that is a good idea.

I'll have to keep a look out. Probs won't be buying one until next month anyways cos I'm going away at the end of this month.

SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Mon May 07, 2012 11:59 pm

Explorers and SRS are fab. Explorers may need the bases and shelves replacing as they can be quite awkward and get chewed a lot (and the rats kick substrate all over the floor) the SRS already has good bases.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Tue May 08, 2012 4:13 am

Thanks for the info. Trying to decide how much money I wanna spend. I try to think of a good cage as an investment but I've spent a lot lately and I wanna get it asap. Cleaning my Critter 3 is a nightmare. Watch this space. Smile
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Tue May 08, 2012 6:38 am

I've just got the SRS and it's wonderful - I love it, but I will say that it is very tall. As a small person I find it difficult to reach the top and back of the cage when hanging hammocks etc so you may find access a pain. To add my 2 cent have you thought of an Abode?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/LIBERTA-ABODE-FERRET-CHINCHILLA-DEGU/dp/B002Y0HTS0 I have the Tower which is the same cage but twice the height and the doors are brilliant for access - I can stick my head and shoulders right through them. Just a thought anyway Smile

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Tue May 08, 2012 10:54 am

Oh, I hadn't come across that. o:
With the SRS could the height issue be solved with a different/homemade stand?
I really like the idea of how the doors open out, but that's only gonna help if I can reach it I guess. Lol.

Thanks for the input. Smile
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Tue May 08, 2012 7:38 pm

I have the SRS as well. I've had it about a year now and have no regrets.
I do wonder if it would be too tall for you, as you mentioned. Perhaps you could measure it out against the wall and see what you think.
It is definately a great cage. I chose it over the explorer because I'd heard some bad reviews that the explorer is basically a cheap version and more prone to falling apart and the bases in the bottom were rubbish, so I'd have to buy better ones anyway, etc I don't know how reliable those claims are, but I figured if I was going to be spending a lot of £ I'd want it to be the last big cage I buy.
The doors are great and I think would be a lot easier if access is a problem because you can practically be inside the cage too when the doors are open. I think the bases were mentioned too, they're pretty good, mine have been lightly chewed, but nothing major. They lift out easily for cleaning. It's also handy as it can be opened into one big cage with or without the middle base, or can be two cages, which is how I have mine set up.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Wed May 09, 2012 1:23 am

Yeah, I've heard some good but also some bad reports about the explorer. Bad fitting levels and stuff.
Being able to reach the bottom level isn't too important as I have help cleaning it out and stuff.
So as long as we can modify the stand or make a new one so the top level is the right height for me then it should be okay.

Do you think that'd be easy enough? Or even possible? Lol.
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Wed May 09, 2012 1:40 am

Well, I think it would be easy enough to modify it to some degree. I know some people get IKEA plastic boxes to use for the base, so that would perhaps making cleaning easier as you could lift the box down easier than the platforms (you sorta have to grip them in the corners and pull them up). So that might be one idea. Although if you're not using substrate there may not be much point... What substrate are you using?
It's also easy enough to build it without the stand, I don't think you need the stand at all, so you may consider just having the cage sit on the floor, which would make the top level a good 30cm lower down, or thereabouts.
In terms of making a different stand or anything, I'm not sure how well that would work, and it might defeat the purpose if you just want it lower to the ground.
Other than that I don't really have any ideas.. Sorry.

You're more than welcome to come and see mine to figure out what you think of it, though I'm in a 3rd floor apartment with no lift, so I imagine that may be a problem Sad
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Wed May 09, 2012 1:42 am

Also, there's a UK forum (http://www.fancyratsforum.co.uk/). I don't think it's particularly useful, I've found much better information here. But perhaps you could post there (there's a lot more ratty people in the UK than here) and see if anyone else is in a similar situation and what they've done.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Wed May 09, 2012 3:14 am

Thanks for the advice. I don't really use substrate, I just use paper and towels mostly to keep dust down. Also thinking of getting a shredder to use paper for bedding and for them to dig through and stuff. I'd imagine shredded paper wouldn't get kicked out as easily.

And thanks for the idea. Perhaps it being on the floor would be okay then. Or maybe never make a wooden thing close to the floor with wheels on so it's still easy to move about but not on actual stand.

Either way I'm starting to think an SRS may be the way to go.
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Wed May 09, 2012 3:35 am

I use shredded paper (: I actually really like using it now. I get my dad and his partner to empty the shredders at their work for me so it's all free. I find it gets a little dusty, but if you push it around and pat it a bit in the cage before the rats go back in I find it isn't a problem. I also read before that it's not very absorbent and gets smelly but my boys usually go a week and a half before needing changed and the girls go just a bit over a week.

I think if you're going to use it, it might be easier to clean if it were in tubs in the bottom, so you can just lift them out and then clean them at your height. http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50019422/#/50019422/
I keep thinking of getting some too 'cause I usually spend ages trying to get it all out whereas you could just tip one of them into a bin bag and be done with it.

If you're going to use a wooden stand make sure it's a strong wood and well built, that cage is REALLY heavy, especially by the time you add in bedding, toys, beds, rats etc.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Wed May 09, 2012 3:37 am

http://www.fancyratsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=332
I don't know if you need to be a member to see it, but I had a look and someone has a photo of their cage with the boxes in, the second post, by 'amzy'.

EDIT: Also the post by 'flox'
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Wed May 09, 2012 4:04 am

There's a Facebook group for the sales of bases and ledges for Explorers etc.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Wed May 09, 2012 4:32 am

Oooh, what to do what to do! xD

Also, those photos on that thread you linked Redrach.. some AWESOME cage ideas there to make the cage more interesting.

Do you have a link to the FB group Zoundz? Smile
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Wed May 09, 2012 5:09 am

https://www.facebook.com/groups/132763710176563/

There appears to be a bit of a backlog, so patience required Smile
xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Wed May 09, 2012 6:49 am

Thanks. Smile

Will be a while before I get a cage anyways. Spent so much recently. Also going away at the end of the month which has cost me quite a bit. I think my dad thinks I'm being a little frivolous when I already have what he considers a perfectly good cage. Laugh

Oh well, you only live once. Smile
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Mon May 21, 2012 4:48 am

Decided to bite the bullet and ordered my SRS today! Super excited. Big Grin
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Mon May 21, 2012 5:47 am

I'm sure you have a few people there to help you, but I've built one before so feel free to gimme a shout if you need a hand
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Mon May 21, 2012 6:26 am

Thanks a lot. Hopefully my dad will be able to work it out. He did my Critter 3 okay, but it was more fiddly than complicated. Laugh Or so I think from observing.
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum