Grief?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Grief?

Post by redrach on Tue May 08, 2012 3:43 am

I think my little Chandler is having a hard time without Albie Cry
Since Albie's left Chandler's been in either 1 of 2 moods:
1. He looks awfully sad, sleeps a lot and doesn't want to be disturbed. He's gone very quiet.
2. He desperately wants out of the cage, but when I let him out he wants NOTHING to do with me and is sniffing all around. He was getting quite cuddly last week before Al went, and was desperate for cuddles constantly, now he doesn't want to know me.

I did put him in the retirement cage after Albie had left, before I cleaned it, but he just had a sniff about and then wanted out again.

I feel awful he just seems so out of sorts the past few days and I don't know how to make it easier for him. Sad
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Re: Grief?

Post by Zoundz on Tue May 08, 2012 3:57 am

There's not much you can do, it's a healing process they go through, and it can take anything from 10 minutes to eternity. I hope he feels better soon.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirodoragon on Tue May 08, 2012 4:00 am

Maybe spend a little extra time with him? Or get him his favourite treat? I don't know anything about rat grieving but i'd do this with dogs and i guess grief is the same in alot of races, rat, dog and human ^^ I hope he'll be okay! *hugs* Embarrassed
Shirodoragon

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Tue May 08, 2012 4:17 am

Hope he feels better soon. Horrible seeing pets going through grief. Life would be so much easier if we could just talk to them and tell them it would be okay or ask how to help. Sad

SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Tue May 08, 2012 6:29 am

Just a case of following his lead hopefully,take him out whenever you think he wants,cuddles when he's ready for them,some extra treats maybe?

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Tue May 08, 2012 6:34 am

Poor guy Sad is he all on his own now? I know it sounds callous but when Monty was left alone he just looked so depressed, broke out in lice and was so lethargic I didn't think he'd last long. As soon as we put in Forz and Switch he was back to his old self. Maybe a re-jig of cage mates might help him perk up?

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Tue May 08, 2012 7:45 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone.
He's been getting extra treats, they've all been spoilt the past week, I've been giving them puppy treats once or twice a day and extra food and if I'm at home I spend about ten times as much time in their room, just checking they're okay and everyone's been getting lots of cuddles. Maybe it's just all a bit much for him.

Katherine, he's in with my 2 little boys (actually, 15 months and they're his sons). They did all live together before him and Albie were relegated to the retirement cage and even then Chandler spent a few hours each day back in the big cage with them. So he hasn't had to be re-intro'd or newly introduced and he does know the cage. I guess he's maybe not used to 24/7 with them, they are pretty hyper most of the time and it was probably nice to have a quiet chilled out cage.

Most of all, I think he just misses his buddy. They've been together since they were quite young (probably 6 months or so). Sad
Luke had also been away for 4 days there, so I wonder was it partly just because everything was different all at the same time.
Poor buddy Sad
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by vivree on Tue May 29, 2012 5:10 am

I always see my rats go through this when one of their cagemates passes away. Sad it's hard to see them like that but it does pass. (: hope he feels better soon.

vivree

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Tue May 29, 2012 8:02 am

Ah, thanks vivree, Chandler passed away on the 8th May, he was just too heartbroken without his brother. Sad
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by vivree on Wed May 30, 2012 2:18 pm

aw, very sorry to hear Sad

vivree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content