Best and worst rat toys?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Best and worst rat toys?

Post by ashlingm on Wed May 09, 2012 8:18 am

Just doing a mega shop on Zooplus for the mice and rats and I was just wondering what toys do your rats (and mice!) absolutely love and hate. This can be homemade ones too!

Just wanted to check it out before I spend loads on toys which just generally arnt popular or if I've overlooked any Smile

(Actually if any of you are mouse owners do you find they use a wheel much - My last one did but she was a lone mouse (a rescue case and could never find anywhere that sold mice so unfortunately she lived alone) I was thinking of getting them a Flying Saucer Wheel. Is it worth my while or should I spent the money on more "climby" stuff?

ashlingm

Back to top Go down

Re: Best and worst rat toys?

Post by lmc on Wed May 09, 2012 8:29 am

My brothers (late) mice used their wheel all the time, to the point that we had to take out the wheel at night-it squeaked and drove us all mad Grin they certainly enjoyed it anyway
lmc

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Wed May 09, 2012 8:50 am

My little mousie loved his wheel alright, though he used it less when we upgraded his cage to a massive one. I find my guys love.... boxes, toilet roll tubes, toilet rolls, tissue boxes etc Laugh As far as toys you can buy go, you can never go wrong with a feather wand. They also really like those wooden ladders with stuff dangling off them - I've just bought a new one. Also ping pong/ cat balls to chase and nylabone puppy teether toys..... but mainly boxes Wink

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Wed May 09, 2012 10:07 am

I know this isn't helpful, but for my old mice we used to set up my sisters doll house when she'd grown out of it. Ours loved climbing through it and over all the other toys in it.

Mine never had a wheel, but they did sure love exploring things.

Though once we did have one get stuck in a Bratz car. I had to take a screw driver to it to get the little lady out. Embarrassed
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Wed May 09, 2012 8:45 pm

My mice adore box stuff too - cardboard tubes etc, I make little triangular tunnels out of cardboard scraps, which they love. They love ripping them to bits and nesting with them. Cardboard tube with some paper still on is always popular.

Rats love old baby toys strung up, wooden bridges, tubes, hammocks, digging boxes etc. A good site to look at is www.dapper.com.au

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Francois on Thu May 10, 2012 10:14 pm

I got my boys and girls a saucer wheel, so far the only attention it got was Ted peeing on it. They love their play castle! Especially since we got a flexible tunnel that will allow them to get from the castle to their digging box Big Grin

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Fri May 11, 2012 4:24 am

My female rats love their wheel (only 3/4 of them really run on it) but they run all the time. One in particular has a bit of a problem.. and runs almost 24/7.
My boys had a wheel when they were younger and could fit in it... Roll Eyes but they never actually ran in it.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by lynnthered on Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:40 am

My girls love boxes Shocked
I get my boyfriend beer and tape up the ends of the boxes, fill them with paper from the pet store (big huge bags of it in maxi zoo in bray) and let them rampage through it. They ADORE sleeping in the plastic viking helmet I got in work, I hang it up on the cage wall and they all cram into it. Sputniks are cool and much enjoyed too. My girls love cat grass Laugh !
But most of all they love hammocks. I get vet bedding from the pet stores and make up my own hammocks and 'toasties' (I fold a square of it into a triangle and hang it up so they can crawl into the centre like cheese in a cheese toastie Laugh )

Out of my five girls only one has ever actually RUN on a wheel. I got one of the saucer type ones and Powder used it for a while but once she was moved into the big girls cage she hasn't looked for it at all, too much other stuff to be doing that running in one spot I guess Meh
lynnthered

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:30 pm

They sound very spoiled <3 Grin

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down