anti agression tube

View previous topic View next topic Go down

anti agression tube

Post by Francois on Thu May 10, 2012 10:21 pm

Jack and Ted usually get along pretty good, but sometimes they will be at it where Ted just won't submit and Jack too dominant to let it slide... Roll Eyes
This situation gets Ted pretty nervous and Jack ending up realy frustrated with Ted's behaviour.

But I found a solution to break that agression cycle.

I cut the end of a plastic cola bottle, creating a tube. Now when the boys have their silly moment, Ted can flee into the tube (and there is only room for 1 in there) Jack will stop dead in front of the tube and can't do his side kicking (although he will kick the tube a few times) and then wanders off. 5 minutes later, the boys are curled up in their bed like nothing happened Cool

Last edited by Francois on Thu May 10, 2012 10:22 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Its those damn keyboard pixies!)

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Re: anti agression tube

Post by SaraBloo on Thu May 10, 2012 11:27 pm

Gosh, that's very inventive! And smart of him to know where to escape to. Tongue
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Fri May 11, 2012 1:56 am

Good idea. Can go the other way though, I've had rats 'claim' tubes before and really beat each other up over them!

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Francois on Fri May 11, 2012 10:03 pm

Zoundz wrote:Good idea. Can go the other way though, I've had rats 'claim' tubes before and really beat each other up over them!

xx

Well, if Jack happens to claim the tube, he'd be in the tube and not kicking poor Ted Big Grin

The point is that rats seldon fight if there is no room to fight and with Jacks fighting style (sidle up and kick) he's pretty much out of tricks with Ted in the tube.

The boys have a realy strange relationship where it seems that Ted provokes Jack into a fight and gets his ratty arse handed to him. All's well as long Ted submits, but sometimes he just won't submit and Jack won't have any of that. The result is a big chasing scene with lots of squeeking. There's 2 completely different shows of aggression between the two where Ted will be with his mouth open and Jack just being fluffed up (mouth not open). This only hapens for a few minutes and the next thing you know they are curled up together having a nap. Kinda reminds me of the relationship I had with my brother Tongue

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sat May 12, 2012 1:01 am

Well - even without room, I've seen them fight Wink and frequently over things, igloos, tubes, hammocks etc - and they can be pretty ferocious fights too. Some of the worst I've seen is where a rat claims something and another one wants it. Usually works to take those things out, then they settle Smile

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Sat May 12, 2012 1:40 am

I agree with zoundz. With introductions for instance, one of the reasons for using neutral ground and then an empty small cage is to prevent them from claiming areas as their own and the resulting fights.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Francois on Sat May 12, 2012 3:15 am

I'm sure there are many different scenarios and reasons when it comes to agression. In the case of Jack and Ted, the tube is an aggression breaker. I guess that Jack and Ted are funny that way, as they never bicker over their wooden house, the hammock or any other item (unless is eatable Laugh)

Jack and Ted are 2 brothers that have been sharing everything since birth. They are 8 months now, so there's some hormones stirring for sure. Their interactions are realy fascinating to observe as I suspect that Ted would like to be dominant (hence the challenges) but he's just no match for Jack's roundhouse kicking. I was a bit worried that the whole fighting was Jack being a bully, but Jack will stop chasing Ted as soon Ted submits. Its often enough Ted that nervourly stalks Jack as you can almost sense that Ted is looking to stir up a fight.

While Jack is definitly the alpha, he is also the easiest to handle and to pick up to give belly tickles and such. Ted is friendly enough, but just not that kind of touchy feely rat, but we still love him Smile

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum