Noisy Rat

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Noisy Rat

Post by Dangerousbeans on Fri May 11, 2012 8:32 am

We got a new friend for Luna tonight, just a quick question or two.
Firstly she's really noisy, I had noisy rats that I could here chattering and very quiet squeaks and peeps, but this girl is at it all the time, she seems calm and happy, loves being handled and wandering about, but makes noises most of the time, I was worried it was respiratory but I don't think so as her breathing seems fine and she full of life and eating well.
She's a week younger than Luna we think but similar size, her coat is silkier and longer than Luna, i'll put up pic's tomorrow.
The other question is how rough should I let them play?
They seemed to ignore or treat each other as climbing equipment when on neutral ground, but when put in the same cage there was a bit of wrestling and the odd squeak, didn't seem to rough but I'm not sure if I should leave them in together tonight or separate and start again tomorrow.
Any help would be welcome.

Dangerousbeans

Back to top Go down

Re: Noisy Rat

Post by redrach on Fri May 11, 2012 8:49 am

What sort of noises do you mean? Can you post a video?
To be sure, I'd keep them separated tonight. If they're ignoring each other on neutral ground it can actually be a sign they're not bonding and they could later fight. I wouldn't leave them together in a cage overnight until they've met a good few times on neutral ground and you can supervise them for an hour or two in the cage before you leave them for the night. The best signs are them sleeping together.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Fri May 11, 2012 8:51 am

ps. During introductions the general rule is 'no blood, no foul'. I wouldn't separate unless they are getting vicious, some rats can be very vocal and that's okay, they need to assert dominance and a hierarchy.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dangerousbeans on Fri May 11, 2012 9:00 am

Thanks, they run around and wrestle for 2 or 3 secs then off again, doesn't seem too rough. Since the cage is in my daughters room she is watching them very carefully, they are walking around each other, sniffing etc, but one in each sputnik. Think i'll separate for the night just encase.
As for the noises, its hard to describe, she sneezes a bit when she goes near the sawdust in the litter box, but not while around rest of cage. I will get a vid and post it up in morning, off to bed shortly. Might give the vet a call and see what he says in morning. Not sure he sees many rats being in a small town, but does treat Hammies and other smallies, and has always been lovely with my dogs and cats.

Dangerousbeans

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Fri May 11, 2012 9:07 am

Sneezing sounds like it could just be dust or possible an allergy to the sawdust. Then again, sneezing can also be a sign of stress I think.
If you separate them tonight I'd remove any sawdust from the cage she's in to see if that helps.
Personally, I wouldn't bother with the vet in the morning unless she's showing other signs of sickness. It sounds like she's probably just adjusting to the new situation. If she starts showing any other symptoms or hasn't stopped sneezing in a day or two though a vet visit might be good, just to be sure. However, I'd be wary of using a vet who doesn't have much experience of rats, I used to go to a pretty bad* one and they'd prescribe baytril for EVERYTHING, looking back I don't think they were even sick half of the time, I just panicked and the vet didn't know any different.
Do go with your instinct but, if you think she needs the vet, go.

Edit: regarding good rat vets, perhaps if you post where you are someone local to you can recommend a good vet.

Also, pinning and squeaking is pretty normal. As long as there's no biting or blood I'd not worry too much and just keep a close eye during introductions over the next few days.

Further edit* choice of word probably wasn't too appropriate for younger members, wanted to edit to be sure, apologies guys.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dangerousbeans on Fri May 11, 2012 9:13 am

Thanks so much, its been so long since I did this I'm a bit over anxious! Embarrassed
I have some fleece bits I'll put in the small cage for her to use, its what I'm using in the floor and shelf of the big cage.
I'll wait and see how she is over the next day or two, like you said, it may be the dust or stress.
Think she's going to be called Matilda (the Roald Dahl one) to keep up the literary naming traditions. She has a very unusual coat, must get a pic.
I'm in rural Kilkenny, prob not the best place to find a good rat vet, but the two vets are both very good from past experience and one definitely has a good bit of small animal experience. I usually meet him while walking dogs so I'll ask him tomorrow.

Dangerousbeans

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Fri May 11, 2012 9:18 am

Awh, we can all be too anxious sometimes. I, myself am having a huge freak out currently 'cause one of my boys has a sore eye and since I've lost 2 oldies already this week I'm paranoid they're all going to die Embarrassed Sad
If you are worried though, it's not ridiculous to see a vet, that's just my personal opinion and you should always go with your instinct. Smile
That sounds like a good name, I love the movie! I'm interested in seeing pictures of her!
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get her?
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dangerousbeans on Fri May 11, 2012 9:31 pm

Awww, hope your bot is ok, they have such short lives, its awful loosing them.

Spoke to my vet this morning, he has treated a rat once before, he knew what meds and dosage (I'd read a lot on here and online before hand), also said to keep her off the sawdust and monitor her, not to worry unless she's sleeping a lot or off her food.
She's fairly lively, very friendly too, happy to sit and be stroked, unlike crazy Luna who wants to explore and run around. (she is also very friendly but bit hyper, though I only ever had boys so maybe its just the girls)

We got her from the same place as Luna, pet shop. They said she was from the same breeder, a guy called peter in Wicklow. Thats all the info I got, she was on a paper bedding and seemed fine, so I think its the sawdust as she was fine until on that. She's very tame, even more so than Luna, but was trying to hump Luna last night. Hope they sort it out quickly.

Kept them separate last night and will put them together in the top half of the cage, when I put it together later.

Dangerousbeans

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Fri May 11, 2012 10:17 pm

That's good your vet has treated some before. Yeah, she sounds fine really if she's lively, as he said. It does sound like either the saw dust or just stress from intros.
Sounds like they're doing well during intros. I have a crazy girl who humped the rest non-stop for weeks! She still does it on occassion now and they've all been living together about 6 months! I'd still refrain from leaving them together overnight until they're sleeping together but, it's the best sign that they're comfortable with each other. Little squabbles may continue after this, along with humping, but they should be happy enough if they're sleeping together.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Sat May 12, 2012 1:20 am

Not really to do with the noises, more to do with the indroduction and stuff. My girls have been in the same cage for 5 days now. We got them on the Sunday, let them get used to each other with cages beside each other that day. They kinda sniffed each other through the bars a little bit then both pairs went back to sleep. Later that night we let Sybil and Edith run around the cage with the others girls cage on the floor. Watching carefully for any signs of aggression etc, we didn't want them to get nipped if they were on top of the cage or anything. All went well so that night we put them in the bath. It was like they were all long lost sisters. They were really interested in each other but there was no scuffling or aggression at all. The next morning we did the same again and they were getting along great so we decided to try the cage. Same thing again, they got along great. Wasn't long until all four were huddled up in the sputnik.

Since then there's been signs of dominance but I've been going by the no blood no foul rule. Edith seems to think she's the boss of everyone. Which is why we got the other two, to give her more than just Sybil to boss about. Cassie who is very similar in looks to Edith is also similar in personality. She sometimes stands up to Edith or shows dominance over the other two. I think the least dominant is Millie, cos even Sybil has a go sometimes which is funny to see since she was always so submissive to Edith.

Anyways, on that Monday put them in the cage early in the day so they had all day in the cage before we thought about leaving them over night. Gave me a bit of peace of mind that the night would be okay after monitoring them all day.

Though I guess it might be different with two pairs than two singles. Sorry for the long winded story, it's probs no help. Laugh
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dangerousbeans on Sat May 12, 2012 3:58 am

Thanks guys, whille they aren't sleeping together I am sure its more play and scuffling than anything serious.
When in the bath they both climbed on each other to try and escape, they chase around the cage, but when one stops the other will wait and then give them a tap or jump on them and run Laugh
The humping has lessened this evening (kept them separate today as I couldn't monitor them as I was washing and clipping dogs), the wrestling seems pretty even, one on top then the other, bit of boxing etc.
They are very fast and Luna jumps like a kangaroo Laugh had to laugh at her standing on Matilda's head in the bath and leaping for the taps! she nearly made it too.

Dangerousbeans

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Sat May 12, 2012 4:38 am

Can't wait to see photos!
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dangerousbeans on Sun May 27, 2012 7:19 pm

Just an update on this.
I removed all the sawdust except in the litter trays, we now have them on fleece and towels, a little over two weeks and the noises have pretty much stopped. I have come to the conclusion that she had a little reaction to the sawdust, or maybe was a bit under the weather when we got her.
Matilda is still a very vocal rat and I can hear her chirping and chattering much more than Luna. It appears the dog hears her much more as he was sitting in front of the cage wagging his tail and listening to her chatter (he goes in to wake my daughter in mornings but stops for a chat with Matilda as she comes out to say morning, he's not bothered with Luna at all), daughter says she can hear he a lot at night too.
Both girls are getting on well, growing a bit although still not very big. (we figure they are between 12 and 14 weeks)
I'll stick up a few pic's in the your rats thread later.
Thanks guys! Smile

Dangerousbeans

Back to top Go down

Post by Francois on Mon May 28, 2012 6:58 pm

Sometimes a rat is just chatty Smile Our little Bubbles is quite a meeper, who will squeek often during play or to fend off the boys when they are free ranging and visit the girls cage. It does seem to be getting less over time, but Bubbles will grab any occasion to let out a squeek Grin

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Mon May 28, 2012 9:37 pm

There is a difference between chirping and actual vocalisation. If you hear her a lot it's almost certainly respiratory still. I don't think it will have been anything to do with the shavings (mind you, that depends, if it was sawdust as opposed to actual woodshavings then yes, a problem can be caused!).

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Dangerousbeans on Tue May 29, 2012 12:00 am

Zoundz, the sounds now are more when playing or being nosey, or when we bring food(if Luna is in other half of the cage and Matilda finds something) or say hi, where as before it was most of the time and sounded not wheezy but not like the squeaks and meeps we hear now.
The sneezing has stopped completely and I'm trying to find some bigger wood shavings as the ones we have are small and a bit dusty.

Dangerousbeans

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Tue May 29, 2012 7:03 pm

Yes, excitement can cause a lot of chirping noises in the nose and upper respiratory tract if there's scarring there from a previous illness.

Good luck with the shavings hunt! Grin

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top