Homemade Shelves

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Homemade Shelves

Post by ashlingm on Fri May 11, 2012 11:15 am

I realise I've been posting a million questions lately...I'm just so out of the ratty loop I wanna see how you guys do things!

Anyway the cage I currently have has only 2 wooden shelves in it (with no ladders). I was hoping to add a few more wooden shelves and wanted to see how you would do it.

I was thinking of going to woodies and getting thick wood and sanding it down so its nice and soft and a lick of varnish to keep it from being damaged from urine. At the moment I put a newpaper on my shelves and then its covered in fleece (seems to soak up the urine, protect the wood and kind of keeps the smell down a bit).

Then I was going to put screw things in the middle of the wood and use butterfly screws to keep it tight and so it will be supported properly.

I've looked online for replacement shelves and they were either what I'm planning on doing (but far more expensive) or the really thin plastic ones which I know won't work with my cage (the support clips are too small for the bars..)

ashlingm

Back to top Go down

Re: Homemade Shelves

Post by Zoundz on Fri May 11, 2012 11:25 am

I would normally buy them myself, either the ferplast shelves, or that FB group I linked on here somewhere that does custom shelves.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirodoragon on Sun May 13, 2012 3:18 pm

I used 2 pieces if laminated wood in my cage, easily cleaned and I didn't have a base so I cut some perspex, it cost 20euro to set it all up Smile good luck with your plans, i can post pics of my cage if you like?
Shirodoragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Mon May 14, 2012 8:06 am

I think that would be really helpful! I'd like to see them!

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Dangerousbeans on Mon May 14, 2012 8:25 am

I'd also like to see that, have a few bits of laminate left over and they would be easy to cut and fit, how do you secure them?
I got some ferplast shelves (at least I think they are, corner ones with a curved front) with the explorer we bought, but they don't fit with the bar spacing, not sure how they were using them.

Dangerousbeans

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirodoragon on Mon May 14, 2012 9:41 am

Well i got a few pictures of the cage i took out my ladder (Blue tries to climb it so i have it out for the moment so she won't try, the others can climb up no problem so its ok Smile )

I secured the floors with screws, i put them in a way that stops the floor from moving what so ever (i can't describe it you'll see when you try it)

Here is how i did the floors, i did it this way so they had alot more room Smile

And here is the middle floor from the side so you can see how i have the screws done ^^ the floors are made from laminated wood from an old shelf i had but its pretty cheap to buy, the base is made from perspex you can see a little in the last picture, and lots of sawdust was flying out cause it didnt have any sides, so i decided to put skirting boards around the sides, that way they can next in the corner and not feel a breeze or anything from the sides Smile and also feel secure.

Shirodoragon

Back to top Go down

Post by ashlingm on Mon May 14, 2012 9:58 am

The screws are a way simpler idea then what I was going to do! You are a genius! Smile

Yep I think I'm going to give the home made shelves a bash before I splash out on plastic ones! Thanks a million for the photos!

ashlingm

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirodoragon on Mon May 14, 2012 10:05 am

No problem Grin goodluck! Hope to see what ya put together x3
Shirodoragon

Back to top Go down

Post by ashlingm on Mon May 14, 2012 10:27 am

I've a big order from zooplus due so along with the new shelves I'll be dying to show off their new and improved cage setup! Smile

ashlingm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum