Sybil.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sybil.

Post by SaraBloo on Mon May 14, 2012 9:44 am

As some of you know my little Sybil had a resp infection when I bought her and I've taken steps to clear it up and give her the least chance of any respiratory distress since.

First she was put on a course of liquid baytril to put in her water, which as I was told here wouldn't/didn't work so then she was put on a course of another antibiotic, this was a 5 day course and was a tablet.

I also took out the dusty litter from the cage and have been using news paper and towels in the cage instead in case the dust was a contributing factor.

Anyways, the noises she was making from her chest/nose have basically stopped but her breathing is still kinda shallow and fast. It looks completely different to how the others 3 breathe. She also still seems to be producing porphyrin from her nose. Her appetite is still healthy and she seems active enough, she is more calm than the others but she's more active than when she was making the noises. Though after a scuffle or a chase or anything, she kinda seems more outa breath than the others would be and stuff.

So I guess I was wondering could this just be lasting effects from having a resp infection at such at young age, like nasal/lung scaring or something that maybe she'll just have to live with? Or could she still be ill just with less symptoms?
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Re: Sybil.

Post by Zoundz on Mon May 14, 2012 7:51 pm

My guess is that she has quite bad Myco, and that she gets flare ups. She will probably always suffer from it, and may or may not have a reduced life expectancy. The main thing is treat when she gets very sick with it, other than that just try and treat her as normal. Poor lass Sad

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Mon May 14, 2012 9:09 pm

Yeah, that's what I figured. I just wanna make sure there's nothing I should be doing at the moment. What would symtoms of a bad flare up be/when it would need treated? Like the noises and less active just? She's such a lovely little gentle girl too, it is a shame. Silver lining is she's with someone that will always have the means to care for her. Smile
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Tue May 15, 2012 12:42 am

Flare-ups are usually noise, staring coat, heaving sides, excessive porphyrin and being very lethargic and not herself. You need to act quite quickly too, as these can often lead to pneumonia.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Tue May 15, 2012 12:54 am

Okay, thanks. What is the usual treatment for it?
Just antibiotics?
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Fri May 18, 2012 1:30 am

Another vet appointment made! Gosh, Cedarmount are gonna be sick of seeing me. LOL. My last vet visit was with my dog two days ago and I just made another for Sybil and Millie for tomorrow.

I actually made it because Millie has started making noises and I wanna get her checked out. I'm going away for 5 days next week and I don't wanna risk her getting worse while I'm away. Sybil also isn't 100% so I thought I'd take the opportunity to get a check up for her also.

Apparently the appointment is with a vet called Lisa, which is a different vet to who treated Sybil in the first place. It may be the same vet that put Gideon to sleep. She seemed a little more clued up about so I'm kinda hoping.

Starting to wish I'd got a bigger seperate cage. I've only got a hamster sized cage that I got for putting them in when we're cleaning them out, but if I'm gonna have to separate them to medicate them it's really not big enough for any prolonged period of time. Grrr, why do all the expensive things come at once. LOL.
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Fri May 18, 2012 9:36 am

Best of luck with it all Sara.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Fri May 18, 2012 10:05 am

Thanks. I could just be slightly paranoid. Lol. Had a nice bonding session with Millie tonight.
The two new ones have been very shy, but tonight Millie got the courage up to go into my dressing gown.
It's done a lot to make her less jumpy when she's touched etc. Smile

Not heard her make the sounds tonight, so I dunno.
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Sat May 19, 2012 5:13 am

So, took them to the vets today. I ended up taking Edith, Millie and Sybil along. Ediths been sneezing a little and got some porphyrin around her nose.

Well, it wasn't the vet that dealt with Gideon which I was kinda bummed about. Not completely happy with the consultation. She kinda seemed like she didn't really know what she was talking about, I felt like I knew more (and I'm still learning)... She didn't actually touch/lift any of them or sound any of their chests. She did note Sybils difference in breathing compared to the other two and said that since the ronaxan did make an improvement before to treat her with that again and the other two since they're showing some signs of being unwell (I kinda hoped she'd give a diagnosis from listening herself rather than taking my word for it. Lol.)

She's given me 5 ronaxan tablets, one each for Edith, Millie and Sybil and then 2 extra for if/when Sybil has a flare up. I kinda thought she'd wanna change the antibiotics up a bit like you do with humans, rather than using one a lot in case whatevers wrong with Sybil grows tolerant to it. She thought she's maybe had a flare up from the stress of having 2 more rats introduced, but I'm not convinced that stressed her out. If anything I think she's been more relaxed because Edith's not been on her back so much and she's really bonded to Millie.

On the plus side, altogether it cost me £5.84 so at least it didn't cost a bomb. Laugh
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Sat May 19, 2012 6:38 am

Not a very thorough check up Meh have to say I wouldn't be impressed if my vet didn't even listen to their chest Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Sat May 19, 2012 6:52 am

Especially if you're taking them for respiratory problems. You'd think that'd be the first thing they'd do. Confused

It was like she didn't want to touch them. Meh
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sat May 19, 2012 9:04 am

Doesn't sound like she charged you consult fee though, which is good at least, since she did no consulting.

what dose of Ronaxan does she have them on?

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Sat May 19, 2012 9:49 am

Yeah, that's what I thought and was glad of because we had an outstanding bill of £72 from when we took our dog in the other day. Dunno why she didn't charge a consultation fee, she did stand and look at them for a good 10 minutes. Laugh

She's got them on same as before. A 10th of a tablet 2 times a day for 5 days.
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:01 am

Little bit of an update.

I had all four at the vets today. I decided to try a different vet practice, one that Redrach had recommended to me. I'd been there before with our dog years ago but never with rats. She also recommended which vet to ask for.

Anyways, he was very good and easy to talk to. I explained about them being on ronaxan and baytril before and he basically agreed with what I'd said people from another forum had told me that they needed to be on it longer. He also weighed one of the girls to make sure the dose was right, and it turned out they were basically supposed to be having double a day than the other vet had told me. So, not only was the course too short the dosages were too little.

So, he gave them all a injection of baytril each and then gave me 14 tablets to give them a two weeks course. Originally he said a month, but then said to try two weeks first and see how they are after that.

He said if it didn't work that maybe a course of baytril injections might be better, which would mean they'd need to come for an injection every 3 days for I can't remember how long. Or he said he'd preload needles and let us inject them ourselves if he showed us how. Dunno how I'd feel about that though, cos my girls aren't great at being held still.

Another thing he said was that it could be viral and if these things didn't settle it that meds for that kinda thing could be tried.

He said it's possible that since Sybil has been the worst that maybe she could be a carrier and she could be smitting the others so it might be harder to shift in her, or may never fully shift and it's something that I'm gonna have to keep on top of. Though, I kinda anticipated the lasted bit.

So, they're on a fifth of a tablet twice a day for two weeks, where as before they were on a tenth of a tablet twice a day for five days.

So yeah, he seemed to know a lot more than my other vet and told me the options we had and made sure their dosages were right for their weight and stuff. The other vet didn't weigh them or anything, or give them any injections.

I'm a little happier now that they're with a vet that knows a bit more and he seems very easy to talk to etc like Redrach said he was.

Going to start the antibiotics tomorrow, and keep an eye to make sure it's not upsetting their tummies. Hopefully it'll work this time.

Was funny, as I left he said "Now the only other thing is.. what will you do if you wanna get more rats?..." I thought it was a trick question so I was like.. "Not get more rats..?" He said he was gonna say I'd have to be careful and keep them well apart if Sybil was a carrier, but not getting more worked too.
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:07 am

Firstly... re. getting more rats, 'if Sybil was a carrier'? A carrier of what exactly?

Why did all four have injections? Are they all ill?

Highly unlikely to be a virus, and if it is there's nothing you can do to treat it anyway, just palliative care and treating any symptoms to make the rats more comfortable.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:25 am

It was a lot of info take in, so.. I can't actually remember. I was mostly trying to remember what I'm dosages I'm supposed to give. Embarrassed

Though yeah, they all have varying degrees of symptoms. General respy problems, each slightly differing. Though Millie and Sybil are still the worst, but Ediths has got slightly worse.

He did say it was unlikely to be a virus but I guess he was doing what health people usually do, giving you all the possible illnesses and out comes. And yeah, he may have meant treatment for the symptoms if it wasn't shifting. He kinda mentioned it as the last case scenario.

Redrach did say he doesn't know everything, but I definitely think it's a big improvement on the other vet I was using.
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:49 am

Sounds like you at least had a better experience than your last vet. I'm not sure what he's talking about specifically saying a virus, but as you and he said, it's unlikely. He does sometimes come off with the odd thing like that, but I do think it is a kinda here's every possible option thing as you said. And as I said he doesn't know everything, but he is very good when you have a vague idea yourself and he's very good with handling them, talking and dealing with the emotional side of it too.
Regarding baytril injections, I usually avoid them as they can have skin reactions to them, so I'd avoid the injections every 3 days if possible.
Anyhow, let us know how they get on.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:11 am

Yeah, I did notice Edith was slightly irritated after the injection, not irritatable in an annoyed way but on the way home the rest huddled up sleeping, but Edith didn't settle and was scratching at herself and moving around a lot (Though she's kinda like that) but I thought it might have been the injection site and that's before I knew about the possible reactions. She's fine tonight though, her usual bouncy cheeky self. Was funny, in the vets she climbed out of the carrier on to my shoulder and was happy as larry then the nurse lifted her for her injection and she scurried up the nurse and pee'd all over her shoulders. Laugh Typical Edith.

And about what he said, I may have even misunderstood or slightly remember it wrong because like I said it was a lot to take in and I'm very shy so sometimes I go a bit blank in situations like that.

But yeah, I really don't wanna go down the injection route at all costs. I think the reason he suggested it was because I'm medicating four of them and making sure they get the whole dose each time etc might be a bit tricky especially if I was doing it via something they could steal of each other or just not finish. So injections would mean they definitely were getting the right dosage. Still though, I think the ronaxan was working before but because the vet didn't know what he was doing it was never enough to totally irradicate the problems so hopefully with a proper course it will. Smile
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum