Dangers of recycled paper and card bedding.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dangers of recycled paper and card bedding.

Post by Zoundz on Thu May 17, 2012 5:27 am

Thought this may be interesting for those of you who use.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12663183

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=mineral%20oils%20in%20newsprint

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11665848

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Dangers of recycled paper and card bedding.

Post by SaraBloo on Thu May 17, 2012 5:41 am

Ugh, why do things always have to become more difficult. LOL.
I use news paper for the bottom of the cage, and shredded news paper for their digging box.

Digging box is easily changed, but dunno what an alternative for lining the bottom would be. Meh
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Thu May 17, 2012 6:38 am

Thanks for posting this Laura.
I don't know what to do!
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Thu May 17, 2012 6:57 am

Does anyone know of anywhere I can get woodshavings?
The only places I know of are p@h and tesco, and the shavings are tiny and seem pretty dusty?
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Fri May 18, 2012 9:40 pm

Okay, I didn't want to start a new thread, so hopefully someone sees this as I have a related Q.
I'm now using woodshavings from tesco (avoiding the pet shops as much as possible). They seem quite fine but I'm having trouble sourcing anything larger.
Who else uses woodshavings and what brand are they/where do you get them?

Also, I had been using a lot of newspaper in beds baskets etc and for them to drag into hammocks, so I'm not sure what a good alternative is (preferably as cheap as possible!). So far I've just ripped up some loo rolls and put them in their beds, but we obviously don't go through that many of these..
Any ideas?
I'd like to avoid using towels as I hated using them before.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Sat May 19, 2012 12:00 am

I was wondering would a stredded paper alternative for news paper be printing paper? As in would that be okay. You can get big things of like 500 pages for relatively cheap in like Tesco and if it's just for like nesting stuff that might last a while. I'm getting a shredder which might also make it go further.

Sorry, dunno about woodshavings. Trying to stay away from using anything like that. Meh

SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Sat May 19, 2012 12:14 am

SaraBloo wrote:I was wondering would a stredded paper alternative for news paper be printing paper? As in would that be okay. You can get big things of like 500 pages for relatively cheap in like Tesco and if it's just for like nesting stuff that might last a while. I'm getting a shredder which might also make it go further.

Sorry, dunno about woodshavings. Trying to stay away from using anything like that. Meh

I wouldn't want to have to buy paper just for shredding for them. For one most printing paper is a little glossy and probably wouldn't be very absorbent. And for another, I think it would be very bad for the environment and a real waste of resources.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Sat May 19, 2012 12:24 am

It was more for bedding/digging box than the flooring etc so I didn't really think of absordency, I was more asking from a health point of view in case there was certain things in printing paper that were bad for them. And the cheap printing paper doesn't tend to be that glossy anyways. And as much as I don't wanna damage the environment, if I can't use recycled paper for fear of it damaging their health I don't see it as a waste if it's taking care of my pets. But I understand if you don't wanna go down that road and I respect that. Smile

Like I said though, I was more asking from a is it safe point of view.
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Sat May 19, 2012 12:29 am

Sorry! I completely got the wrong end of the stick there!
I'd guess if you could get non-glossy regular paper it would be safe? But I really don't know. I'm sure it would say on the packet if anything has been added to the paper and then you could read up on what those things are, if any. The problem mentioned in the articles Zoundz posted is oils from inks, so if it's just paper I don't imagine there would be much danger.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Sat May 19, 2012 12:37 am

Yeah, I figured it should be okay since it was the inks in recylced/news paper. Just these days you never know. Lol. And it's fine, I'm still wondering what I'm gonna do for flooring. I use towels but they pull them up, so I need something under the towels (Even though they pull that up too. Lol.)

Trying to stay away from anything dusty etc because of their current resp problems and also because they're kept in my room and I use a ventilator for my own resp problems at night. Lol. There really is a lack of whats available cost effectively in NI. Laugh
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Sat May 19, 2012 12:43 am

Have you tried carefresh, back to nature or woodshavings?
I know you said you want to avoid shavings, I did too. But they actually seem fine. I didn't notice ANY dust when I cleaned the girls cage this morning. So far I've only tried the tesco one but it's fine, no complaints yet. I'm also trying to source bigger flake-type shavings (waiting on replies from a few places), so that would be even less dusty than fine shavings.
Carefresh I did notice a little dust from time to time, but minimal really. The real problem with that was cost and having to freeze it for 24-48 hours because of risk of lice/mites.
I use back to nature in my litter trays, but do know of people using it in the base, it just isn't the best if you want to scatter feed, and it doesn't provide much enrichment because it's pellets. But it is dust-free and very absorbent.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Sat May 19, 2012 12:47 am

I tried carefresh in their digging box, I didn't like it too much. I found a lot of like.. fluffy particles came away from it and kinda caught my chest a bit. I don't think I've tried back to nature, and not used shavings in years since my last hamster. Maybe it's something I'll have to think about giving a try again.
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sat May 19, 2012 2:53 am

I think one thing to remember is the china clay and dust in paper... it's really not good for lungs anyway :/ I would avoid paper to be honest. Safebed is a good thing to get hold of if you can! Smile this is the stuff - have a look in petshops etc, http://www.farmandpetplace.co.uk/products/pet/small-animal/bedding-and-litters/safe-bed-paper-wool-sachet.html

We buy huge bales of it from Maxi Zoo and it lasts for ever, and is really really good.

Other than that you can use shredded kitchen roll.

Shavings really are the best thing though, if you can get good quality large flakes like the ones we use, usually Woodpecker brand.

xx

Perhaps ring this place and ask if they have a number for the company?
http://www.floodhorsefeeds.com/horsebedding.html

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Sat May 19, 2012 6:35 am

We use shavings and very happy with them Smile they'd usually have them in co op or farm shops.and we use shredded kitchen towel for nesting material (i stick it through the cage bars so they have to pull it through and drag it upstairs to their bed,its lovely to watch and they take it very seriously!) and our gang all love dragging them around and rearranging it all Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Sat May 19, 2012 9:15 am

I've started using easibed and I'm loving it. I don't know how accessible it is over in Ireland as I only started using it after moving back to the UK. It's hemp horse bedding anyway and is really cheap and dust free. It might be accessible online.

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh on Sat May 19, 2012 1:19 pm

I use wood pelleted kitty litter from tesco, and I love it. It's super absorbent and not dusty except the end of the bag which I don't use anyway, we use it for our cats too. I think it's like a fiver for a good sized bag that lasts me ages. Smile
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sat May 19, 2012 5:06 pm

Does that not break up into dust after they've peed on it? The wood pellet cat litter that Karl used to use for the chinchillas always seemed to.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Sat May 19, 2012 10:18 pm

Zoundz wrote:Does that not break up into dust after they've peed on it? The wood pellet cat litter that Karl used to use for the chinchillas always seemed to.

xx

Yeah, that's the reason I stopped using it.

I'm gonna try that Back to Nature stuff I think, I really wanna try and stay away from woodshavings because they tend to annoy my sisters allergies and the rats are bad enough. Laugh

Though she's moving to London so if this other stuff isn't good then I'll maybe change to shavings then.
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Simba on Mon May 21, 2012 3:07 am

A friend of mine worked in newspapers years ago, and she would always have said not to use it for animals under any circumstances. She didn't mind so much, say, ordinary printed pages being shredded and used.

She said it was something about newspaper inks, they tended to be especially toxic.

Simba

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Mon May 21, 2012 6:44 am

As far as I was aware, most newspaper inks are vegetable based? But in any case, we used them for years with no problems... but I wouldn't go back to it, they're very mucky.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Mon May 21, 2012 6:49 am

I preferably would like to stick with the news paper/towels that we're using at the moment but I don't wanna put their health at risk. Though I've seen a few people say they've used it for a while/years without any health problems.

Has anyone used the Back 2 Nature stuff before?
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Sun May 27, 2012 1:52 am

Just thought i'd update here on how i'm finding the wood shavings.
I was a little concerned a few days back that there was some sneezing, but I think it was probably just a delayed reaction to the change in bedding as there's been no issues since. They all seem happy enough with it and i'm pretty impressed as it's been 8 days since the girls were cleaned and they're only starting to smell now (normally would have been by day 5 or 6) and the boys don't smell at all yet.
Also, I was a bit annoyed as I'd gone from spending £0 a week on bedding to spending £5.49, but today I found better shavings that will last 7-10 days in a pound shop for £1.49!

As for beddind in their beds, i've been using carboard loo rolls and bits of carddboard that don't have any ink and I don't think have been recycled, so it's worked out pretty well in the end.

Sara, I've used back to nature. I used it in my litter trays. It's very absorbent and no dust. Plus it doesn't mush down too much when wet, unless really soaked. I don't think I'd really recommend it for the whole cage though as pellets aren't the most stimulating for rats.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo on Tue May 29, 2012 11:01 am

I put it in the day before I left and seems all good so far. I've also taken their ladders out of their cage and added more stuff into it (Even though they won't be in it much longer) and it's much better. I dunno what else I could use in the bottom so maybe I'll continue using it and try and counter act the non-stimulatingness (I think I made that word up.. Sorry, I'm tired from travelling LOL) with other stuff in the cage.
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum