Ivermectin?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ivermectin?

Post by siofradh on Sat May 26, 2012 2:10 am

I noticed Bee has a few scabs in different places of her body, so brought her to the vets yesterday and he said it could be one of two reasons she's got them. One was that she's being aggressively groomed alot by Whiskey and Olive, which I considered because I have noticed that there's been alot more squeaks from the cage at night. And the second reason was mites or mange so he gave me a vial of ivermectin. He told me to put it in her water bottle but since the others don't have any scabs or loss of hair I decided to give it to her through a syringe diluted with water.
I guess I'm kind of looking for a second opinion because this is the first time I've had any sort of health problems with my rats, and I'm very wary of using any vets in Carlow because I haven't been living here that long, and have very little experience with the vets here. So what does everyone think of the treatment he's given her? And does anyone have any experience with scabby rats?
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Re: Ivermectin?

Post by Datoria on Sat May 26, 2012 2:17 am

My rats got a bit scabby once when I used a certain 'pet friendly' cleaning product on their cage. I promptly went back to washing up liquid and a good rinse!
Datoria

Back to top Go down

Post by EssDubya on Sat May 26, 2012 2:43 am

Hi Siofradh,
My first two boys arrived with scabby ears and the vet near the graveyard said it was ear mites. He gave me ivermectin to treat them but it was applied as a spot-on for the back of their necks. All my boys got fleas a few months back and again, it was treated with ivermectin as a spot-on. The same vets ordered in a small animal pipette of ivermectin but they were €6 each and I had 8 rats!! I asked for a vial of pour-on ivermectin for cattle and found out the correct dosage from the manufacturers website and got 20 doses for the grand total of €2 :-) All the vets in the town gave me the run around saying there was no such thing as a anti-parasitic spot-on treatment for rats but the internet and Zoundz said there was so I annoyed them til I got what I wanted :-) The vets out the Tullow Road flat out lied to me, the one near superquinn would only sell me a whole bottle of ivermectin for €30 but the vet near the graveyard supplied it in the end.

EssDubya

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Sat May 26, 2012 4:40 am

Whats the brand and dosage?
I haven't had any experience giving it orally but hopefully some more knowledgeable people will post Smile if you're not sure about your vet,maybe someone here can recommend one in that area here?its always handy anyway to throw up a prescription on here and see what people think or check the ratguide or any other one that's recommended here Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh on Sat May 26, 2012 11:40 am

Sue - I went to the one across the road from superquinn and the vial was only a fiver, and since it was just bee with the scabs he said there's no point treating the others, should I go back and get some more for the rest? Where exactly is the vet you used? I only know of Tullow Road and the Vet and Pet, and I'm not sure they're either of them know much about rats.. Confused
They're not on her ears though, they're on her neck and tummy. He did say he didn't have the spot on one in stock though and I don't mind giving it to her through a syringe, even though she's not too happy about it. Roll Eyes

Smokierat - I'm honestly not sure the brand, but and it's half a mil of ivermectin and 1 and a half mil of water. I know it came out of a green box with a cow on it if that's any help?? Laugh I'm gonna check out the UK rat forum now and see if anyone's posted about something similar there. Smile

Datoria - I haven't switched the cleaning products I use to clean the cage but perhaps I washed their fleece with different washing powder. I'll check tomorrow! Thanks! Grin
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by EssDubya on Sat May 26, 2012 7:07 pm

As far as I know, ivermectin with the cow on it is a pour-on so I doubt it would be safe for the rats to drink. I've found that none of the vets in the town are much use when it comes to rats. I've found the best thing to do is research online and ask Laura/Zoundz and find out what's probably wrong with them and what the treatment and epecially the dosage is and bring all the information along to the vet. The vet I use is Oaklawns, its up near Braun on the Old Dublin Road. If its mites thats causing the scabs then chances are they'll all have it. Do you have any idea where they got if from? My lot picked up lice a few months ago around the time that I bought a new brand of wood chips from a new supplier. I definitely wouldn't allow the rats to drink the ivermectin (unless someone more knowledgeable about rats corrects me!) Even as a spot on the dose is tiny so the stuff is fairly potent.

EssDubya

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Sat May 26, 2012 8:15 pm

It might be worth trying beapher spot on, it's what i use for mites. You can get it online and it's a couple quid for a box of four doses. Just make sure you get the right one for their weight.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sat May 26, 2012 9:27 pm

I don't like ingestible ivermec, if that is even what you've been given... :/ I would be more inclined to use spot on, or perhaps Selamectin (Puppy Stronghold)?

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: