Cage (and room) reeking!! - Advice please :)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cage (and room) reeking!! - Advice please :)

Post by kirm on Sat May 26, 2012 6:12 am

Ok so we've now got all three boys together and they are great buddies, cuddling up together and getting along nicely. However, since all three have merged the cage is utterly stinking of urine even though we clean it out every 2 days (which is getting to be a right pain in the butt!!). We never had this problem when Pippin was alive. As the cage is in my sons room, it also is suffering as is my son who has to sleep there. As soon as you open the bedroom door the smell is enough to knock a grown man over!!

Any advice appreciated - hubby won't tolerate this much longer!!

kirm

Back to top Go down

Re: Cage (and room) reeking!! - Advice please :)

Post by smokierat on Sat May 26, 2012 6:27 am

I know it sounds funny but cleaning out too much,removing their bedding too often actually encourages them(especially bucks,and paricularly when they might be sorting out who's boss when newly intro'd) to scent mark more!it may be that it will pass when the ranking is sort out,but as temporarily nasty as it may be I would leave longer times between cleaning,and in the long term it should reduce their need to mark their territory

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Sat May 26, 2012 8:18 am

Definitely too much. I clean out my boys once a week when I'm good. The shelves get a little uriney so I wipe them down every couple of days.

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Sat May 26, 2012 8:24 am

I agree with both of the above. Even when I've had 4 boys in a cage the most frequently they got cleaned was once a week. They like to have a little stink about Wink It'll calm in a few weeks.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sat May 26, 2012 9:33 pm

agreed, also, what substrate are they on? And what shelves?

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by kirm on Thu May 31, 2012 7:09 am

Thanks for the input everyone. The only reason that we were cleaning it so regularly was because of the smell, but it seems we've only made the problem worse with our good intentions. Having taken the advice on board, we haven't cleaned it for a week now and Eureka, theres no smell whoooooooooohooooo!!

The cage has wire shelves and the bedding is from Maxi Zoo and is called Multi Fit Natural Wood Litter.

Another question - how often would you bathe the boys? We tried them in the bath a few weeks ago with a small bit of water in the bottom and boy oh boy did they HATE it!!

kirm

Back to top Go down

Post by shanty on Thu May 31, 2012 7:57 am

Haha I tried so many times to give my boys a bath with no luck - they used to kick up such a fuss! I used to be covered in claw marks Smile Recently I had some success bathing Oscar, first I put a towel on the draining board beside the sink, filled the (clean) sink with warm water and a drop of cleanser, dunked him in before he knew what was happening and plonked him on the towel - while he was trying to work out what had just happened, I kinda scrubbed him with my hands and rinsed him down (while he was on the towel) and then dried him. He didn't enjoy it much but he smelled lovely for weeks Smile Glad to hear the smell has gotten better - just do it once a week or so from now on and you should have no problems x
shanty

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Thu May 31, 2012 9:14 am

Is that the stuff that turns to dust when it gets peed on? If so then it's not ideal (though if it isn't it doesn't matter). I've never bathed my boys except for the odd bum-wash when one of them has had diarrhoea Meh

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by kirm on Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:59 am

What, seriously... jeez you'd think people that work in a petstore would know their stuff as that is what was recommended to us and the girl had rats herself!!

LOL going to try the bath ordeal again - the hairless guy is turning yellow !!

kirm

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:41 am

I've bathed my lot 2-3 times. The only one who ever got regular baths was Albie because he couldn't clean himself but liked to roll in his food nonetheless Roll Eyes

redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:44 am

Really? which store was it? I used to work at MZ myself and as far as I was aware I was one of only 2 rat owners and we've both left Confused Maybe a new person. I'd recommend chunky woodshavings (not sawdust), paper based litter or hemp. The thing about the pellets is when they're peed on they turn into dust (if it's the ones I'm thinking of - you should be able to see when you clean the cage) and this can irritate the respiratory systems, and as we know they are a bit prone to respiratory infections. It's alright for litter trays though.

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by kirm on Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:26 pm

Yes it turns to dust when wet, I'll have a look at the wood chips - they won't soak up the urine though will they, I have to admit that thats what I liked about the pellets and they were supposed to keep the odour down too!!

kirm

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:47 am

It will soak it up a bit, but not as much as the pellets. Also I meant shavings rather than chips

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by lynnthered on Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:31 am

Newbie throwing in my two cents...!

I use this Chipsi mais stuff from the pet store in Carrickmines, and throw in some of a paper pulp litter they have too - a mix of both and the smell from my five girls is really not so bad at all. I went through a phase of trying all sorts of alternatives but this combination seemed to work best for me. The Chipsi Mais is corn cob based and is entirely dust and smell free... you know when you open up bedding and you can smell it already? Never been a fan of that. Confused

I also got a small air wicks air purifier from tesco a couple of months ago and have it in the room with them on the lowest setting. It is the living room they are kept in so it is a big room and alot of people go through it and the doors are always open which helps too.

There have been a couple of places I read about putting vanilla into their water / food or using some sort of drops from the pet store (!) - I haven't tried these yet, I kind of feel bad tinkering with their fresh water like that to be honest!

As for bathing - the only one of my girls that ever needs to be bathed much is Superfly (in my siggie!) - she always seems to get smudges of stuff on her back. I run the warm tap in the kitchen and just hold her in my hands under the water (just down her back), then plonk her onto a hand towel and let her sit and seethe at me - Laugh I've tried putting them all in the bath but they just do NOT like it.
lynnthered

Back to top Go down

Post by Francois on Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:45 pm

Hahaha, ratties don't like their bath , do they? I got several levels of dismay from mine, when I out them in the bath (not very often though). Jack sometimes starts to smell like stale popcorn and I give him a quick rinse. The thing with Jack is that you can get away with anything, as long its not longer then 5 seconds (the time he makes up whether he likes something or not). All the others react quite shocked the first second and them make leaping jumps for safety Laugh

However, they like to play in water. I have a nursery cage which I fill up with water in the summertime and they like to wade around in it. Slowly increased the level each time and drop some pees in to the water, they love to dive for them!

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:31 pm

Quite right not to tinker with their water, always a bad idea Smile

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum