Look what turned up at my house last night!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Look what turned up at my house last night!

Post by Dangerousbeans on Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:33 pm

I got home from work last night and there was a knock on the door, 2 kids that used to live next door to me were standing there with a tiny kitten. Their uncle and his girlfriend saw them in the road in the middle of nowhere so stopped to pic them up, one is as far as I know still stuck in the dashboard of the car, they left some food in a box in the car overnight in the hope it'd come out.
My guess is she's about 5 weeks, can eat solids well, but eyes still very blue and ears low on head.

and after a feed...

She's very tame, and daughter is already begging to keep her, I'm trying to be the sensible adult and say no we have lots of pets already Sad
So I'm playing mammy again.....

Dangerousbeans

Back to top Go down

Re: Look what turned up at my house last night!

Post by Zoundz on Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:14 pm

Awww bless Sad hope she stays strong

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:34 pm

Poor little kitten, she's gorgeous!
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dangerousbeans on Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:36 am

Daughter rang me to tell me they dropped off her brother this morning just after I left for work!
He's black and a little larger, booked them in to see vet this evening, they are eating well anyway, but need a worm dose.

Dangerousbeans

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh on Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:43 am

Hi there! I have a nursing mommacat with three five week old kittens, so if you're interested they can come and live with my lot since they're probably a bit young to be weaned. They look like they're doing great so should be fine, but it's an option. Smile Know how your daughter feels about wanting to keep them, but thankfully I have a very sensible mammy who tells me no I can't have 5 million cats, 10 million dogs, and 20 million rats... Big Grin
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dangerousbeans on Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:45 am

That's a fantastic offer, will let you know what the vet says tonight, I'm only 30mins from carlow town too Big Grin

Dangerousbeans

Back to top Go down

Post by Catz on Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:54 am

How funny, the girl living with me at the moment is friends with the girl who found these kittens.. heard about their rescue on facebook!

So happy to see them safe and warm.. Big Grin
Catz
Mentor
Mentor

Back to top Go down

Post by Dangerousbeans on Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:47 am

Just an update, vet says they are around the 5 weeks, strong and healthy, gave a worm dose and only charged me €11 for the wormer and syringe, have to dose them again next week , then the normal 2 weekly till 12 weeks. May have a home for the black one, will know next week.
I will be hanging on to them for about 4 weeks I'd say, get their shots, only going to good homes that will neuter too.

@Catz, what a coincidence, don't know the girl, just her boyfriend as his sister was my neighbour for 13 yrs!

Dangerousbeans

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:48 am

Oh gosh Love It's kitten season again Sad When will people just get the message and spay/ neuter Confused Cry So glad these guys have fallen on their feet!

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh on Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:50 am

It's horrible isn't it Katherine, there's 20+ stray cats in my estate, breaks my heart thinking of all the kittens that will die, or just go on to have kittens of their own... Sad
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dangerousbeans on Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:19 am

So, Berlioz and Toulouse (Temp names) are well, eating well and getting more lively.
Vet said no need for milk replacer or to find a nursing queen (siofradh thanks for offer), just get them on a good cat food and make sure they get enough fluids. Got some Babycat on the way home from work, only had the dry so soaking it, and will find some wet tomorrow.
They are getting braver, girl one doesn't mind dogs at all (even when Oliver nudges her for a play), black one still a bit iffy about them.
Hopefully they will thrive, seem good and strong.

Dangerousbeans

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirodoragon on Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:51 am

Cats are very resilient, just feed them regulary and if they have trouble with the harder bits then use the mushy stuff for a little while (the kitten stuff is packed with nutrients so its really helps) and mash it down for them so they can eat it. The little marmalade one is absolutely beautiful :3 goodluck to you and them! Love
Shirodoragon

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh on Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:29 am

woohoo! glad they're doing well. the one in the picture does look very sturdy alright. they mightn't even need soft food, my kittens are on royal canin babycat which is brilliant quality and they're eating it without any problems. what i like about it is the kibbles are tiny so it's easy for the kittens to eat. only problem is it's pretty expensive Meh keep us posted about how they're getting on! Wink
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Catz on Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:23 am

I always read that kibble was bad for cats and that they should be on wet food only because dry is dehydrating for them as cats have evolved to get 99% of their fluids from their prey and so have no natural thirst drive. For each 50g of dry they eat they need about 1/2 pint of water to counteract the dehydrating effects. Even with a water fountain most cats find this a hard amount of water to drink and dehydration causes UTI'S and crystals forming in the bladder.

Myself and the OH are getting a kitten soon and after lots of research the foods that have been most recommended to us are Bozita, Aminonda Carny and Grau since most other foods are full of unnecessary carbs and grains. From my understanding the worst wet food is still better then the best dry.
Catz
Mentor
Mentor

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh on Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:51 am

Yep wet food is generally better, but since my cats are good drinkers and I also feed about 10 strays so dry food is way handier. It's also slightly better at preventing tartar. Longer shelf life too! Wink Mainly people use soft kitten food for weaning but since mine haven't had any trouble with dry I just thought I'd recommend it. Good luck with getting your kitten! Smile Smile
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dangerousbeans on Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:38 pm

Just an update, Kittens are doing great, getting bigger already, and much more lively.
They can now manage the babycat without soaking and we are feeding wet and dry. They are playing more and incredibly friendly, going to see about vacc's next week, I still think they are different ages, the black one has almost all green eyes now, but the ginger and white one still has very blue eyes and is smaller and softer fluffy hair, more kitten like.
Waiting for a call about the black one, my daughters friend is looking for him, so waiting on her mum to call me. Hoping the girl will have somewhere by next week too, but will hold onto them for another few weeks yet anyway.

@catz, we feed a mix of wet, dry and raw, both my boys have had the struvite crystals so feeding a kidney support food, bozita wet and the odd bit of raw. That's what the vet suggested, its the potassium or something in the food (can't remember at the mo) that causes the problems, and supermarket brands can be quiet high in it so a good quality food is best, but even then you need to be careful. I mix the wet foods so they never get too much of one. Its working well so far, my 11yr old hasn't had a problem in 3 or 4 years, the other cat has been fine since about 6 months after we got him 4 years ago(not sure of his age but about 7 or 8). Its also more common (or causes more problems) in males, narrow urethra my vet said.

Dangerousbeans

Back to top Go down

Post by Dangerousbeans on Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:48 am

Just an update, both kittens ended up going to a friend in the UK, her daughters are delighted with them and they are very happy together.
They have new names and are booked in to be neutered in 4 weeks.
We are missing them terribly though, as are the dogs, but the cat that hated them is now back to normal.
Delighted they are going to be spoiled rotten and we can visit when in UK again.
Amazing I couldn't find anyone here to take 2 cuddly, healthy and house trained kittens, that would agree to neuter and look after them well. Sad
(I know plenty of people that look after their cats well, but all have too many cats from taking them in like I did)

Dangerousbeans

Back to top Go down

Post by Dangerousbeans on Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:11 am

I've done it again....... Embarrassed

Last Saturday I picked up a kitten that had been mauled by tom cats, she was in a state, large abscess on back and leg from bites, and completely feral, she was weak and very thin, but still put up a fight.
Only weighed 250grams and is about 5 or 6 weeks, could barely eat. After 24 hrs we could handle her and after a trip to the vet she is healing up well and full of life, by Monday she was purring in our arms and now weighs just shy of 500g and squeals with excitement when she sees us.
Did I mention she is blue grey and fluffy, mane like a lion?
Will post a pic later, this one will be hard to part with, she's such a cutie!
But the up side is I have 3 people looking to home her!

Dangerousbeans

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh on Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:02 pm

oh dear, i'm the same. two semi-feral kittens here too! she sounds gorgeous, dying to see pics! i love grey cats. i have a british blue shorthair. she's amazing, but thinks she's a princess. poor thing Sad i'd love to take her, only i've four foster cats at the moment. one of which actually walked in some sort of acid (maybe some sort of garden product?) and it burned away his skin and he had huge pus filled abcesses. vet said to put him down, and that he probably wouldn't heal, but he's made a full recovery! really horrendous what goes on with feral cats. just coming out of kitten season now and i'm seeing dozens of sick skinny kitties and it's breaking my heart because i want to help them all. Sad
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:47 am

Oh poor love, thank god for people like you both. It's so rough for accidental kittens Sad Love

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Dangerousbeans on Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:33 pm

Here's a pic....
[img][/img]
Daughter really wants to keep this one, I'm softnening up myself a bit, but we have two cats already (and dogs and rats), my friends in UK both offered to home her (both had grey cats like her that died of old age) and one here, so no shortage of people to love her.
She's getting bigger and stronger every day and very lively.

Dangerousbeans

Back to top Go down

Post by Dangerousbeans on Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:37 pm

and another...
[img][/img]

Just had a skype call from the last two kittens, they are huge and so beautiful!
Really landed on their feet there too.

Dangerousbeans

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh on Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:19 am

oh wow... she is beautiful. if only i wasn't so full at the moment! :-( it's very hard to say goodbye. there's a little kitten i took in a few months ago, i called her vicious vicky. when i caught her she chewed my finger to pieces and it was swollen to twice the size it usually was. when i got her home, within ten minutes she was purring away sitting on my lap. i cannot bare to part with her.. but i know if i keep her i won't have as much space to take in other rescues. such a hard decision, but she is very special. fully black, but with the sweetest face i've ever seen. she drags teddies around the house and made friends with a rabbit. cats are such characters, full of personality! makes me sad to think of what they go through.
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by EssDubya on Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:12 am

I've been on the lookout for a blue kitten for months now... so please keep me in mind if the other potential homes fall through :-)

EssDubya

Back to top Go down

Post by Dangerousbeans on Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:43 pm

Will do Essdubya, but there's 4 in front of you!
Where are you based?
I know of one other grey kitten, but that may be coming to me to go to UK too, but I can ask around, and the Aunt (we think) of this kitten is about to drop a litter, which I hope to get hold of, may be a grey there as most of the kittens in that family were grey or tabby fluff balls.
This little ones mum is going in for spay on Friday if I can catch her, then just the one about to drop left. My poor uncle has been spaying female cats for 3 years, about 6 or 7 now and not one of them was ever his cat! We really need more TNR programs in this country.

Dangerousbeans

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum