Blanche is in trouble

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Blanche is in trouble

Post by GillianK on Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:38 pm

Blanche is in trouble. I noticed she was struggling to drink from water bottle the other day, but she seemed otherwise fine. Yesterday she seemed fine. Today I looked at her and was horrified to see a huge lump on her cheek. It is hard as bone. She is brusking a bit but is eating and running around as before. She sneezes now and then, but she has always done that. The lump is massive and rock hard. Photo doesn't really show just how big. I'm terrified it's a tumour. I just know if I take her to vet that's what they'll say it is. It literally came up in last day. I would have noticed it yesterday. It's far too noticeable. She's only 2 weeks from her 2nd birthday. I really don't want to lose her. Could it be anything else like an abscess or infection or injury? My vets know nothing about rats. Nor do any vets where I live. Redrach, do your vets in Belfast have much experience with rats? I'm going to take her to vets tomorrow regardless but I'm so worried they're going to tell me its a tumour. In photo you should be able to see one side of her face all swollen compared with the other.

GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Re: Blanche is in trouble

Post by Zoundz on Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:06 pm

It's an abscess, but with where it is, it's possible (even probable) that it's on a Zymbal's Gland Tumour - quite common sadly.

http://ratguide.com/health/neoplasia/zymbals_gland_tumor.php

(warning, graphic photos)
http://ratguide.com/health/figures/zymbals_gland_tumor_figure_1.php

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK on Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:17 pm

I have an appointment with vet at 1pm. I'll let you know how she gets on. :-(
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rizzo on Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:55 am

I have only been through the same situation last week. Gary had a lump on his upper jaw that got bigger and it was very hard. I brought him in and it was an abscess. Hope that's all it is and not a tumor because I know how much Blanche means to you x x x Smile
Rizzo

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK on Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:38 am

Well, I brought Blanche to vet and he said he couldn't determine whether it is an abscess or a tumour just by feeling it, but he said he's leaning more towards abscess because the lump appeared virtually overnight and because it's so big to have appeared overnight. He gave her an injection of antibiotics and baytril for water although I know that's not the greatest method so I'm thinking I might syringe the baytril into her mouth instead, anyone know of how much for each dose?

I can tell she's in a bit of pain so I was thinking of giving her some calpol. Again does anyone know roughly how much she can have?

He said to bring her back on Monday for another examination. If it's still just as bad she'll be xrayed to find out what it is. :-(

Good news on Gary! I hope it's the same for my wee woman.
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rizzo on Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:08 am

Thanks. Hopefully she feels better soon, although i'm suprised the vet didn't lance the abscess to drain it.
Rizzo

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK on Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:57 am

He never mentioned lancing it at all. He said he wasn't entirely sure it is an abscess, and wants to xray on Monday. I guess if it definitely is an abscess, he will lance it then. I'm hoping thats the outcome.
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:07 am

I very much think it is an abscess - but it is quite possibly on top of a zymbal's gland tumour. I would print off the pages I linked when you go back with her. I do hope I'm wrong though Sad

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK on Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:15 am

:-( If it is a tumour, can she survive with it for long? Is it worth providing palliative care? I've read the article and I can see why you think it might be a tumour under the abscess. :-( Hope not too though.

It looks like its swollen a little more tonight, her right ear is looking higher than the other. She is doing her best to eat, and I've given her favourite food, some corn, peas and egg for dinner. However, due to the swelling, she cannot open her mouth as before. She finds it hard to take the corn off the cob, she's struggling a little with egg but is able to take peas with ease, and has spent a good 40 minutes eating there. She struggles to drink from water bottle so I've provided a bowl of water. But she is active and has an appetite.

Laura, do you know how much baytril I should syringe into her mouth in the morning? I'm gonna give her some calpol tonight for some pain relief too, and I think I have some metacam too. Not sure how much to give, I'm thinking a quarter of teaspoon, something like that.
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK on Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:34 am

Gave her 0.3ml metacam, although I think only 0.1ml actually went into her, as she spat a lot out!
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:21 pm

Sorry i never saw this, i hope it's not zgt Sad
My vets is in ards, he's good but not amazing. Bit if you know what you want done (ie lanced, or what meds you need) he's great and very open to suggestions.

For baytril and calpol i give 0.1ml per 100g that they weigh, so for a 400g rat 0.4ml. Try giving her a lick of calpol to see if she likes it, mine do & it means you can hide the baytril in ot & don't have to syrringe it.

Good luck, got my fingers crossed for you both
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:04 pm

Sorry, only just seen this. How much does she weigh? Smile

Child Nurofen syrup they seem to prefer to Calpol. It can also help reduce certain swelling.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK on Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:42 pm

Thanks for advice guys. I've been giving her baytril and metacam by syringe at night. Will try the child nurofen syrup to see if she likes that as she hates the metacam. She's still eating and active. Lump has remained roughly same size, maybe slightly bigger. She's back at the vet this afternoon at 1.40 to get a possible xray.

GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:49 pm

Glad to hear she's doing well. Fingers crossed for her Smile

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK on Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:22 am

Blanche has been admitted to vet hospital. Vet will be performing fine needle aspiration this afternoon. Shes has some bleeding from ear lump is on. Very worried about her. :-(
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK on Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:43 am

Blanche got xray and fine needle aspiration of the lump. Xray revealed restructured bone around the lump which suggests possible tumour. We will get the results of the aspiration in 2 days, as sample of lump has been sent to lab for tests. At this stage it's either a tumour or a chronic abscess or cyst.
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:06 am

Will keep you both n my thoughts Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:25 am

Sad So sorry - hope my thoughts are wrong and it is just a nasty abscess (though that is still very hard to treat) - but I do think it's likely to be a ZGT Sad

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:12 am

Quite a bit more blood from the ear and nose today. She's coping well, still active and trying to eat. Treating her with metacam and baytril each night. Very worried tho, will soon find out what it is.
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum