Will she be ok on her own?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Will she be ok on her own?

Post by GillianK on Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:33 am

I have a lone female Dorothy, ever since Blanche died last week. :-( Dorothy is improving in terms of my bond with her. No longer skittish, wants picking up and her wee attitude is so much softer. I know she misses Blanche and thats why she wants more from me now. She never came to cage door demanding to be picked up before. In last week shes been doing that any time I've walked into living room. And if I give her free range instead of cowering in a corner or having the odd investigation, she is now running all over me and snuggling in. So this is good. However, I have been trying to find female rats in local area as I know rats are sociable and she'd like a friend. But hubby doesn't want me getting older rat as he feels they are too old to take on. Wants me to get babies - 12 months. But I wouldn't mind taking on 18 month old if I'm honest. But trying to find a rescue female is proving difficult. All rats up for adoption are male! I am so reluctant to go down petshop route so until I find this young female I am after, could Dorothy be ok living on her own? Can rats be happy on their own?
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Re: Will she be ok on her own?

Post by redrach on Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:19 pm

I think in the short term she will be okay. I've had Malcolm on his own just over two months now and while I know he'd be better with friends, the situation hasn't permitted (he's in today to finally get castrated). In the long term though I do think she needs a friend and I'm sure something will come up. If it were me I'd just keep looking and not worry too much about her being on her own in the meantime as long as she's getting plenty of attention (Malcolm was out of the cage a few hours a day).
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by lmc on Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:14 pm

The same thing happened with Dawn when Luna died - now she wants (and gets) a lot more attention than she ever wanted before. She has seemed ok on her own but I still intend to get a friend for her
lmc

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:39 pm

I would definitely try and keep working on getting friends for her - they really don't do well on their own, and the reason they become clingy is because they are lonely I would imagine.

Good luck with Malcolm's castration Rach - hope it works, is he aggressive then? I always thought it was the other boys picking on him and him being scared and not submitting?

Lucy - hopefully I will have some babies for you soon, I have a litter due I think, and you're welcome to babies if there are any available Smile

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:13 pm

Thanks Zoundz! He had no problems in the op, all went great and he'll be home in a few hours. He was starting to become aggressive towards the boys, intros were not working at all, even slowed down over a number of weeks. So my primary reason for castrating was because I didn't want him to be alone any longer and no one was willing to rehome given his circumstances. It means if he still doesn't take to the boys he can hopefully go with my girls. I'm sure you probably disagree with my reasoning, I know you're against castration in most cases but I'm happy with my decision and know it was best for Malcolm.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:32 pm

No, I don't disagree Meh I always say that it's each to their own, just because I wouldn't do something it doesn't mean that no-one should! Smile I'm glad the op went well, hopefully if intros with your boys fail, he'll have a lovely harem to himself Smile

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK on Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:11 pm

Thanks for advice guys. I'll travel further if I have to. I'd travel far for babies but not necessarily for older rat I think.
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:38 pm

Well, we're hoping to have a few litters soon enough, but I don't know if it'll be quite soon enough for you - it'd be a few months wait yet anyway Sad

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK on Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:53 pm

I'd love a Bongo rat or 2 if you had some available I'd be very interested. Will keep my eye out for rescues in meantime, but thinking I'd like to keep more than 2 rats now anyway. Its not fair to the rat left when one passes.
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum