Depression?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Depression?

Post by Raerae on Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:08 am

Hi guys,

Sorry in advance for the insanely long wall of text to follow:

Posted a few times on the old forum ages back, didn't realise it had moved to here. So I've lost a few rats in the past few months. My group consisted of my twin boys Marley and Reggie, my older boy Bowie and the youngest lad, Fitz. I had to have Reggie (Just under 2) put to sleep late last year due to a sudden facial tumor, Bo (3ish) had to be put to sleep just before Christmas eve for failing health and pneumonia after fighting a facial abscess a few times and just the other day, Marley (almost 3) died, he had HLD, was blind and very very skinny. So the other night I found him looking like it was his time to go and planned to take him to the vet to be euthanized as soon as I was up the next day. I found him dead that morning. I put him in with Fitz, who sniffed him a few times and then went and sat in the corner of the cage. So I buried Marley. I didn't think there would be too much of a change in Fitz because the two of them didn't usually even sleep in the same hide in the cage.

But now Fitz is refusing to come near me. Every time I go to coax him out of his hide, he won't. I've had him of the cage now almost the entire time I've been at home since Marley died (3 days ago) and he still won't come near me. I've just been putting his comfy cube fleece hide on the couch with me and he just stays in there. I gave a small bottle of warm water wrapped in a sock just to try and comfort him and he's just been sleeping on that the whole time. He'll take food I give him but only if it's more interesting food such as watermelon and cooked pasta and cereal. Haven't had him drink much water, he just seems truely depressed. I honestly don't know what to do. His breathing seems to have gotten a little chesty for my liking too so I'm gonna have to get him in to the vet in the next few days to take care of that. I want to do that anyway just in case by any chance Marley could have passed something over to him.

My issue is, I've been keeping rats for about 4 years now. I've loved it. But I don't love their short life spans so have decided that I need to stop keeping them after this. I've lost too many in a short time and need a break from that side of it. Just for the moment. But I adore Fitz and am so worried about him. I really don't want to pass him on to someone else and would like to have him for the rest of his days. What steps can I take to attempt to make him comfortable on his own? I've never really had a lone rat, I know they need company, but Fitz is about 2 now so I really don't want to take on any more. No matter what I do, it just seems like I'm always going to end up in this situation inevitably, with a single rat. So yeah, can anyone offer any advice? Even things like is my cage now too large for a single rat (rat calculator says it's good for 5 as far as I can remember), should I completely gut the cage and clean everything because I haven't touched it and obviously it still has Marley's scent all over it? Even any tips, as I said, on getting Fitz to come out of his funk and interact in any kind of way. I'm trying my best to have him with me/near me and to give him little scritches. He just looks genuinely sad and it's heartbreaking.

Thanks

Raerae

Back to top Go down

Re: Depression?

Post by Raerae on Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:16 am

I don't know how or if you can edit posts but when I said Fitz won't come near me, I mean he has little to no interest in approaching me. If I go to pet him, he's okay with it and will lie on or rest his head on my hand if i stop and leave it next to him. He's fallen asleep every time I've done this until I've had to move my hand away eventually. He'll lick me when I'm petting him and seems to enjoy it but just wants to stay in enclosed dark places. Even when I got him out once all he did was sniff about for a minute, never really moving far and then climbed under my t shirt and went to sleep. I've just never experienced a rat properly seeming to grieve and hope he'll come out of it. ):

Raerae

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:38 am

((((((hug))))))))) this is a very unpleasant situation for you and Fitz Sad

I do think he has a good chance of coming out of this depression, but I have seen rats pine away and die over it. He seems to be a bit off his food from what you've said too, which is not a great sign. Sounds to me like you're making all the right waves, and all you can do is hope he comes out of it. Keep trying with him Sad

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Raerae on Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:28 pm

He's taken most of what I've given him today foodwise, again it isn't his blocks though, it's been cereals and a strawberry from the garden. I also added a tiny bit of honey to his water and he's drunk much more today. He hasn't even been in back in the cage though now, since about two days ago. Should I clean it before putting him back in or what? I don't know whether it will send him off the edge to return to a sparkling clean cage devoid of all smells of Marley or should I let him have another day or two in it as it is. Thanks so much for your help, can't believe how much this is stressing me (and him, no doubt) out.

Raerae

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:41 pm

It sounds like you're doing everything right for your rattie,keep it up,I'm sure its a great comfort to him to be out with you getting treats,sounds lke he is enjoying those cuddles Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK on Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:30 pm

Aw I'm sorry you've lost your boys in such a short period of time. But he's just missing his ratty friends. Even though my girl Dorothy didn't seem overly attached to my late rat Blanche (they never even shared a bed), when Blanche had to be euthanised a couple of weeks ago due to a facial tumour, Dorothy went into a depression for several days too and even stopped eating. It took me a while to find my 3 new adoption girls, but Dorothy did seem to start seeking me out after a few days of hiding away and feeling low. She began to feel better and come round, she began eating and exploring again and became more attached to me than she was before. I do hope your Fitz comes round in the same way. It sounds like you're doing everything right. x
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum