Entering the world of lumps

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Entering the world of lumps

Post by katherine on Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:51 am

Maddi has a lump Sad It's really small, she just looks very slightly bigger on one side. It's sort of in the groin, near the nipple so I'm guessing it's a tumour Sad It feels squishy and attached.

Is it best to have it wipped out now - stick her under the anaesthetic and hope she pulls through and it doesn't come back? Or do I wait til it gets larger - I'm almost certain the vet wont see what I mean because you'd have to know her shape - to make it easier to remove? Or do I just see how it develops and how she copes? I know I've seen girls with massive ones that don't bother her at all Confused

Damn petshop girls Angry I know it sounds naive but I really never thought I'd have to go through this Sad Roll Eyes I'd really appreciate the advice of you guys who've been down this road before.

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Re: Entering the world of lumps

Post by Zoundz on Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:46 am

I would definitely leave it for now and see how it goes Smile See if it gets much bigger - you really want it to be at least sort of butterbean sized I would think for a vet to remove.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:20 pm

It might not get any bigger x and if it helps,its probably the least invasive surgery to do,if its a little lump x obv its never nice,but they don't scare me as much as they used to after being through a few now

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK on Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:30 am

It may not be a tumour, so I would take a measurement of it and a photograph. Then do it again in a week, see if it changes.
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:28 am

Good idea. Thanks

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:53 am

It's grown a lot already Shocked I didn't check it yesterday because I didn't think a day would make that big a difference and today it's at least twice the size Shocked Shocked it's properly hanging down Sad Could it still be a tumour or is this way too fast??

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK on Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:55 am

Sadly yes it could still be a tumour. Blanche's tumour grew at a very rapid rate. It seemed to appear out of nowhere and then grow steady and very quickly. I didn't think a tumour could grow that quickly which is why I'd hoped Blanche only had an abscess. Unfortunately it was a tumour. :-( If it is growing so quickly, I'd book her in, get it checked by a vet, see what their thoughts are. It could be something entirely different and I do hope it is. Keeping u in my thoughts as I know how scary lumps are. x
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:59 am

Thanks I will Smile

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:24 pm

Yes, they definitely can grow that quickly Sad sorry - hope it's easily fixed for her Sad

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:31 pm

Thanks :S I had to go and visit my Gran in hopsital last night so I couldn't get her in then and it's getting massive :s I'll try and gte her in for the surgery asap. Is it likley that she'll develop another one?

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:47 am

It's certainly possible - you could see how the vet feels about spaying at the same time?

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:12 am

Just got back from the vet and he says the lump is definitely a tumour and that it he doesn't recommend removing it because of how attached it is and how aggressively it's grown. He says that the operation would be really big and probably only buy her another month Sad He recommends leaving it until it affects her quality of life and then euthanising Sad

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:56 am

Sad I'm sorry... can you get a photo?

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:12 pm

Will try when I get home Smile

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK on Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:12 am

So sorry to hear that. Poor Maddi. I hope she stays with you happily for a good while longer yet. I've had 2 rats die with tumours now. It seems to be all too common. xxx
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:43 pm

Sad Sorry to hear that Gillian, and thanks, I hope she's with us a while longer too Smile

I failed to get a pic last night - she's a real wriggler - will try again tonight

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:20 am

here we go, not the best pic, but the best I could get

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:58 am

Oooh - I would say it looks like an awkward spot to remove it :/

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:23 pm

Yeah it's really attached - no loose skin or anything like I've seen round any other lump.

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:13 pm

Yeah very awkward spot. Poor wee woman. I remember my vet telling me rats with tumour lumps can live happily 6 months, maybe longer. I'm hoping she's like that. xxx
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Abdou on Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:06 am

Mmmm....not wanting to give you false hope but our girl had a tumour like that in a similar place and the vet removed it......she's now a lot better :-)

Just wondering whether you would seek a second opinion??

Abdou

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:43 pm

Thanks, it's got fairly massive now. The trouble is that I'm dependant on others for transport and the other local vet I didn't trust at all. I'm also a bit reluctant to put her through the trauma of the surgery because she's not exactly young and the vet thought that it has a high instance of recurring because of how fast it grew. Because she's happy in herself and her cagemate is on his last legs (hence more stress for her) I have decided to leave it.

Thank you for your encouragement though Smile

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum