Male Buck Grease?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Male Buck Grease?

Post by hkfiesta on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:05 am

Hi!

I noticed this for some time already, but it seemed to get worse as the winter is coming round and I have central heating on a lot more. My rats both seem to have this orange-brown dandruff that sticks on the skin all along their backs and rump and is even seen on the surface of their fur. I thought it was lice at first but it definitely doesn't look like any ectoparasite, and it's also found all over the doggy pee pads I line their free-run area with. Found out some sources say male rats can get something called Buck Grease? I can't really bathe them as I tried once and the poor boys hid in a corner shivering all day and were squirming so much during I just don't want to stress them out again! I feed them Suprarat Rat Royale and Muesli mixes (as a treat). Is there anything else I can do to help them with it?

Thanks!

hkfiesta

Back to top Go down

Re: Male Buck Grease?

Post by katherine on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:44 pm

Hi, it's not a problem it's what they use to mark their territory. They rub their sides against solid objects to show the other males who they are and to display their manliness to females. All bucks have it, unless they're nutered and the amount (I believe) depends on the amount of testosterone the male has. So even bathing them wont get rid of it. It's just part of who they are and other than a bit of extra cage scrubbing for us it's not a problem. Wink

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:27 pm

As Katherine said - though I *think* some diet changes can help - but I'm not sure.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: