Bedding

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Bedding

Post by katherine on Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:21 am

Mine also loved the shavings that Grace and Eoghan were kind enough to pick up for us. The Dublin boys have dragged a thick layer into all their beds Laugh I will try Lew's advice of mixing in the food really well. Though next clean out I'm going to try a mix as I find they get smellier faster.

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:03 am

I'm still using carefresh at the minute. I freeze it for 24-48 hours before using to kill any lice/mites.
Mine love it. And it lasts much longer than anything i've had before. It is expensive comparred to other bedding, but I think it's mostly worth it.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by kirm on Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:45 am

Can anyone please let me know where you get your Carefresh bedding from - my Maxi Zoo have not heard of it. Also, if anyone knows of anywhere in Dublin or Kildare that I can get wood shavings from that would be great too Big Grin Thanks.

kirm

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:46 am

I get mine in p@h to save on delivery cost.
You can also get it online at amazon & ebay to name a few.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by bikerwitch on Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:24 pm

you can get care fresh at the Boardwalk pet centre on Wellingtion quay temple bar.(01)6778160 they are the cheapest place in Dublin for care fresh that i have found so far and they always have a hugs supply of it. The girl that works there is also great for advice on rats as she has some as pets herself.

but i tend to use the recyled paper cat litter and throw in a box of cheap tissues and hey presto the guys make their own bedding and love it Smile Carefresh is good but its more expesive. few people told me here that carefresh carries mites but once you freeze it for 24 hrs it kills off the mites.

My own experience with using carefresh i never had problems with mites and its a really great bedding but having 2 large cages one bag wouldnt last very long i find buying a large bag of the recyled paper cat litter for about €15 which lasts for 3 weeks for 2 cages is alot more economical and throw in boxes of cheap tissues for 50c a box and watch the fun unfold while you watch them move the tissues around the cage to make their bedding. Smile i never need a tv in my house there is more entertainment with my ratties Smile

oh and if you really want to get creative you can learn how to make your own:) there is a video on you tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MODxfJqD7M4
bikerwitch

Back to top Go down

Post by kirm on Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:05 pm

Oh great, thanks so much bikerwitch. So is non-paper based cat litter a bad idea for the bottom of the cage, I mean the clumping kind - I haven't put it in yet but I want to check first if its ok. It doesn't say on the box what it is but it looks like fine gravel. It says its 99.9% dust free and smells like talc!

kirm

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:21 am

I'd be wary of using any cat litters (particularly because you've said it smells like talc) because cat litters are often laced with fragrences to cover the smell of kitty poop. While this is fine for cats, it's not so good for little ratty lungs, especially when they're not just pooping in itotive, but eating and sleeping in it too. It can lead to respiratory issues. I definately noticed my rats sneezed and sniffled less when I moved from a 99% dust-free cat litter (bio-catlet) to cardboard beddings (finacard), then to hemcore, and finally ending with carefresh.

If you're not going to go down the wood-shavings root, carefresh is def. your best bet, despite the price.
Bikerwitch is correct about percieved threat of mites/lice, so do make sure you freeze it for 24-48 hours before use.
I buy the big bag (£19.99 here) and it fills 3 srs bases for a week and a half to two weeks each (ie. two bags in a month- one third of a bag per cage and save the remaining third for the following clean out).
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by kirm on Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:38 am

Ok thats great, I'll return it to the shop and search for the nearest place that would do wood shavings. In the meantime I'll order a bag of carefresh since I've found 2 websites that do it.

thanks so much for all the information Love

kirm

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:59 am

I would definitely avoid clumping cat litter- very bad for all manner of reasons!

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by bikerwitch on Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:16 am

I be Careful about wood shavings especially pine and ceder wood shavings as its toxic for them. here is a picture of the cat litter i use its fragrance free its made from recycled paper and its additive free and free from nasty chemicals and its only €14.65 for a 30 litre bag. here is a picture of it below i found it the best stuff so far Smile

bikerwitch

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:17 am

That's the same company as biocatlet- just different name. It is scented. & wood shavings are not poisonous to rats.

Gee!
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Francois on Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:34 am

so when it says on the package "no scent additives" they are lying?

One very angry e-mail going to them and finding out how I can file complaints against mal-advertisement Evil

Also, I heared through different sources that there are studies that show that pine / cedar, etc are bad for rats. I find it hard to find any woodshavings that are not pine or cedar, so this is a myth as well?

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:55 am

Once again I have to say woodshavings are NOT a problem. There was one very spurious test done a long time ago on the damage that the phenols in red cedar can do to the liver. It was funded by a pharmaceutical company that benefited from finding that red cedar was harmful. Really, woodshavings are not a problem - do you think they'd use them in laboratory settings if they skewed results by making the rats sick? Wink For what it's worth, even if the stuff about red cedar is true, none of the shavings we get here are red cedar. I've been using shavings for years with no damage to livers in any of my post mortemed rats, and certainly I don't find I have any more respiratory trouble than is normally expected regardless of bedding.

Where on the package does it say 'no scent additives'? I can see it says no additives or chemicals, but it probably doesn't have to list natural scents.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:23 am

kirm if the cat litter is the one I think you mean (did you get it in maxi zoo or zooplus?) then it is definitely not a good idea to use it for ratties.

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Francois on Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:13 pm

Its a bit hard to make out on the photo, but on the top, the 4th heading from the left under "no additives" it quotes "no scent additives"

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:24 pm

Then I expect there are no chemical scent additives. If it is the same stuff as Biocatolet, I used that for ages, and wasn't a big fan after a while they changed it slightly, and there is a tiny amount of clay in it as well as I remember correctly (though I could be mixing it up with Bob Martins or Morrison's). The other thing about cat litter is that it is meant to be very absorbent, and if used all the time it can dry the skin out.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Bedding wars

Post by Francois on Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:23 pm

redrach wrote:That's the same company as biocatlet- just different name. It is scented. & wood shavings are not poisonous to rats.

Gee!

I'm afraid it is a different company all together... Just received an answer today on my very angry e-mail I sent to them. I feel like a real idiot now... Sad

Biocatolet is from a UK based company (Midas products UK) that operates from Buckingham while BreederCelect is from Australian FibreCycle Pty Ltd, with a manufacturing center in Lincolnshire, United Kingdom and 2 other manufacturing plants at South Australia, and Queensland, Australia

It both companies are in direct competition as BreederCelect pits customer testimonials against Biocatolet.

I was also pointed out to some patents held by FibreCycle Pty Ltd that distinguished their product from Biocatolet

As to BreederCelect being scented, FibreCycle Pty Ltd stated that there are no scent additives used at all and was just abhorred that word went round it contained clay. I might just put this to the test by sending some to my brother, who does hold a job as a chemical analyst and test their testimony to truth In the meantime, I am more then happy to see reports that state otherwise and happy to keep on using BreederCelect.

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:35 am

I've always said, if people are happy with what they use, then they should keep on using it! Smile Just not to go around telling people that woodshavings are dangerous - because it's a lie! Wink

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Francois on Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:55 am

I agree with that any misinformation is just that: misinformation, and there is no harm seeking clarification or pointing out that assumptions on some products are not correct Smile

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:31 am

Nope - none at all! Smile thanks for clearing up the cat litter queries Smile it's not a brand I knew of before anyway Smile

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:56 am

Back to this old topic.
So, as you prob. know I'm rat-sitting 2 boys at the minute for a few weeks.
They're bongo boys by the way, and to die for Love
Anyway, their owner uses shavings and I was hesitant until now. They look pretty good and the rats seem to like them etc.
So I'm thinking of trying to find some for my lot. Anyone in NI recommend any that I can get a hold of without delivery costs? (cheap as possible, but obviously still good quality!!) Or anyone South for that matter?
Currently my boys are on vetbed since albie's back legs are useless and the girls are on shredded paper since I ran out of carefresh & decided it was too expensive (I may go back to it again, but in the meantime I'm keen to try shavings).
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:18 am

I've used shavings since I came back to Ireland and there were no alternatives I was happy with. I use Woodpecker brand mostly, but have a look around horse supplies places as most will stock some sort of shavings. We use quite soft large flakes, which have a nice pale colour. I'll get some photos later if someone reminds me!

There's a lot of nonsense thrown around about respiratory illness and kidney trouble caused by shavings, but as yet I've never seen a problem that was shavings based Wink Each to their own of course, but I don't think anyone should write them off based on hearsay.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Lew on Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:10 am

The only problem I have ever had from shavings were due to the shavings having gotten damp at the stable suppliers I used, so they had gone slightly mildew. Since I started using shavings from P@H I haven't had any problems.

Technical Administrator
Technical Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:31 am

Never had that yet Lew, though I can well imagine, but I have had damp bags where they've been stored outside and I've had to dry them out before use, that's a real pain1 I now ask for a bale from inside the warehouse *every* time!

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:25 am

Reminder Zoundz to post pictures when you get a chance?
The shavings these guys are on seem quite fine, but very good. I cleaned them today, but they definately could have lasted about 10 days.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum